Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Quiet-Sun's Standard and Tools: Updater, Standardizer, Merger, and Resizer  (Read 18089 times)

burned

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • burnedFX

Thanks for the explanation. From the tilesetes article on the wiki, it looks like Ñight creatures can't have their tile redefined.

I'm not sure what part of that page you're referencing.

Do you mean that row 11 doesn't have any annotations next to Ñ? If so, my best guess is you're not redefining the Ñ at all, nor does it fit within any of the other three annotation categories.

To be clear, some night creatures will rotate with a defined creature tile and the Ñ and some will not. In fact, some will only show the Ñ and others will not show the Ñ at all. For example an animated corpses will rotate between the defined creature tile (using the animated texture *ahem* profession) and the Ñ, but a mummy won't show the Ñ at all if the creature has a defined creature tile. I can't recall if vampires display an Ñ once discovered, nor do I recall if werebeasts are strictly Ñ (no rotation) when just transformed, but in any of these cases, you're never changing the Ñ per se.

You could add another annotation that represents "depends," but that seems unhelpful.

If you're referring to another part of the page, I don't see anything else there that implies what you stated.

I hope that helps.
DFMA Profile | burnedfx Graphic Set

The process of delving into the black abyss is to me the keenest form of fascination. - H. P. Lovecraft
The Delvers
. . .the middle ground between light and shadow . . . - Rod Serling
The Delvers' Podcast

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not sure what part of that page you're referencing.

Do you mean that row 11 doesn't have any annotations next to Ñ? If so, my best guess is you're not redefining the Ñ at all, nor does it fit within any of the other three annotation categories.

Yeah, that's what I meant

To be clear, some night creatures will rotate with a defined creature tile and the Ñ and some will not. In fact, some will only show the Ñ and others will not show the Ñ at all. For example an animated corpses will rotate between the defined creature tile (using the animated texture *ahem* profession) and the Ñ, but a mummy won't show the Ñ at all if the creature has a defined creature tile. I can't recall if vampires display an Ñ once discovered, nor do I recall if werebeasts are strictly Ñ (no rotation) when just transformed, but in any of these cases, you're never changing the Ñ per se.

Thanks for the help.

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I know the steps are here to make sure a ruleset has the correct tiles included, but is there a way just to get a blank Ruleset started, where you could slowly replace each file with the new tile as you created a Ruleset from scratch?

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

CLA posted this earlier. It's setup for a 16x16 graphics pack, but it shouldn't be too hard to adjust for another size, if you want. I'd like to see some more graphics packs at 20x20, if you're looking for suggestions.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158346.msg7020242#msg7020242

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks for the link.

I'm actually going for one of the multiples of 16 though. Either 32 or 64, I haven't decided yet, but I am bringing some grid paper to work to try and figure it out today.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I know the steps are here to make sure a ruleset has the correct tiles included, but is there a way just to get a blank Ruleset started, where you could slowly replace each file with the new tile as you created a Ruleset from scratch?
As jecowa mentioned, you can just download the one for 16x16. In general, and for other file sizes ,see the "Quick Sheet of Possible Actions" in the first or second post of this thread. Specifically:
- Create blank template pngs based on a set of raws
and
- Create supporting text for a set of standardized pngs

And yeah, there probably should be a more obvious way of doing this.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A 32x32 tileset would probably be pretty helpful.

About 0.4% of users have a screen large enough (at least 5120 pixels wide and 1600 pixels tall) to take full advantage of a 64x64 tileset.
About 8.5% of users have a screen large enough (at least 2560 pixels wide and 800 pixels tall) to take full advantage of a 32x32 tileset.

There's not much choices for these users with 2560+ pixels wide screens. DawnFortress has a 32x32 version, but it's just an upscale of the 16x16 version. NSMR has several larger sizes and Tergel has a 32x32 version, but neither of those really have any creature graphics.

A 32x32 tileset would be a great option for users with larger screens. If you really want a 64x64 tileset, you might consider designing it in such a way that it still looks okay when scaled down (for example, avoid using thin lines so there's still some room for them to get smaller).

Data source: http://esurv.org/results-overview.php?surveyID=LBKJIL_84a24e40&mode=4

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A 32x32 tileset would probably be pretty helpful.

About 0.4% of users have a screen large enough (at least 5120 pixels wide and 1600 pixels tall) to take full advantage of a 64x64 tileset.
About 8.5% of users have a screen large enough (at least 2560 pixels wide and 800 pixels tall) to take full advantage of a 32x32 tileset.

There's not much choices for these users with 2560+ pixels wide screens. DawnFortress has a 32x32 version, but it's just an upscale of the 16x16 version. NSMR has several larger sizes and Tergel has a 32x32 version, but neither of those really have any creature graphics.

A 32x32 tileset would be a great option for users with larger screens. If you really want a 64x64 tileset, you might consider designing it in such a way that it still looks okay when scaled down (for example, avoid using thin lines so there's still some room for them to get smaller).

Data source: http://esurv.org/results-overview.php?surveyID=LBKJIL_84a24e40&mode=4
That's good to know, thanks. :)

I actually have a style in mind, though I'll need to test a bit to see if it'll turn out well enough to use.

I'll likely go with 32x32, from what you've told me here.

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quiet-Sun's Standard and Tools: Updater, Standardizer, Merger, and Resizer
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2017, 09:37:07 pm »

Sorry for replying to such an old topic, but I couldn't find a newer threat for this tool.

Does anyone know if the instructions to create a blank tileset (which seems to be for 0.42.06 at the latest) would be missing items for 0.43.05?

burned

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • burnedFX
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2017, 10:34:46 pm »

Replace the RAWS in the 42.06 DF Creature objects folder with the analogous files of 43.05.

I don't recall what (if anything) has changed for the CATEGORIES_SENTIENT.txt since the last QS release. Skimming the file I don't see anything that stands out, aside from the errors previously mentioned in this thread (CAPTAIN_OF_THE_GUARD,  OPOSSUM_MAN, etc).
DFMA Profile | burnedfx Graphic Set

The process of delving into the black abyss is to me the keenest form of fascination. - H. P. Lovecraft
The Delvers
. . .the middle ground between light and shadow . . . - Rod Serling
The Delvers' Podcast

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2017, 11:01:04 pm »

Perfect, thank you. :D

Thanks for the incredibly fast reply, too! :)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]