Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Auto Cut Gems  (Read 9850 times)

Boatsniper

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep Moving Forward
    • View Profile
Auto Cut Gems
« on: February 09, 2016, 11:32:34 am »

Why is this not a thing yet? There's literally no reason to not cut every gem you dig up, so why is cutting them so counter intuitive and time consuming?

If this does become a thing, make sure stone and ore don't get cut as well, just gems.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: Auto Cut Gems
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 11:39:43 am »

1. It's in Dfhax.

2. I hate it.

3. Therefore, even if it is implemented, please put an auto gem order in the proper screen, like butchering and weaving.

4. I think all the "auto" reactions should be replaced with a more open workflow-like system, where you can say "keep stocks of cut gems at 30".
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 12:12:34 pm »

Moods often require rough gems, which you can't get more of after you dig every one in your area.

You need to keep changing your gem cutter otherwise he'll get too good and start wasting precious gems making large gems and crafts. Getting rid of that annoying feature would be a good suggestion now that we can choose what they engrave or craft.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 12:29:29 pm »

Moods often require rough gems, which you can't get more of after you dig every one in your area.

You need to keep changing your gem cutter otherwise he'll get too good and start wasting precious gems making large gems and crafts. Getting rid of that annoying feature would be a good suggestion now that we can choose what they engrave or craft.
The wiki says that the number of rough gems turned into large gems or crafts instead of regular cut gems is the same at all skill levels, and while I have not done in-depth science on the matter, this is true in my experience.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 02:20:37 pm »

I'd heard otherwise, good to know.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 10:01:00 am »

I would also appreciate a simple toggle for this behavior in vanilla or DFHack.  Moody dwarves sometimes want rough gems, sometimes to want to save the more expensive gems for when your gemcutter has gotten better, and I know of at least one mod that uses rough gems as reagents for a reaction (hint: it's in my signature).
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 03:11:31 am »

Simply adding "cut any gem" "cut any glass" and "cut any rock" jobs in addition to specific would be welcome.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 08:57:52 pm »

Simply adding "cut any gem" "cut any glass" and "cut any rock" jobs in addition to specific would be welcome.
This. What makes gems annoying is that you have to queue up each jem type individually, and they quickly run out.

But yes making everything "auto" cabable would be good too.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 07:42:25 am »

Speaking of auto something, there should also be an auto process plant. :P

Roofless

• Bay Watcher
  • Never had a glass industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 10:04:09 am »

No there shouldn't. No amount of fancy syrup roasts will pacify a rampant rum-deficient dwarf.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2016, 01:55:40 pm »

No there shouldn't. No amount of fancy syrup roasts will pacify a rampant rum-deficient dwarf.
Process plant is for cloth, process plant to bag is for quarry bushes. And it's a hassle having to queue that stuff on repeat constantly as several batches of them grow every season and they don't take that long to rot.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2016, 03:58:52 pm »

Rot? Just store them in a food stockpile (in my case it's a minecart QS, which saves on space and avoids barrels. The feeder stockpile has to be large enough, though, or the crops will wither in the fields).

Personally I don't mix booze and thread production since it's too messy to micro manage it, so it all goes to cloth. The dorfs will have to do with the other 35 kinds of booze. Thus, I'd welcome an auto process plants, but all auto something should be possible to disable. I wouldn't use auto cut gems because of the mood requirements (and that's all I use gems for anyway), but as long as it can be disabled I don't mind (but it's recent inclusion and default enabling in DFHack confused me for a while).

PopTart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2016, 04:34:16 pm »

If auto-process/auto-mill plants ever happens, it would be good to have all the separate options automatable in one menu:
  • process to thread
  • process to slurry
  • tan hide
  • make parchment
  • process quarry bushes to bag of q.b. leaves
  • process whatever to syrup
  • process (mill? I forget) whatever to sugar
  • mill dimple cups, hide root, etc. to dye
  • mill cave wheat to flour
  • extract candy to candy floss
  • etc....

Some of these options are mutually exclusive... I think. But does this automation cross the line? Should we auto-press slurry into sheets? Auto-quire? Auto-bind? Auto-dye cloth/thread?

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2016, 08:11:22 pm »

Some of these options are mutually exclusive... I think. But does this automation cross the line? Should we auto-press slurry into sheets? Auto-quire? Auto-bind? Auto-dye cloth/thread?
It goes hand in hand with another popular suggestion which is to do something depending on the stocks, such as:

if booze < 500 auto brew
if rock nuts > 30 turn them into oil
if clay < 10 collect clay

and so on.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2016, 02:48:49 am »

As the thread broadens into the topic of general automation, I've got a few additional comments:

- Allowing auto X to be set on the workshop level, so silk collection and spinning can be done by the loom in the cavern/by the silk farm, without also suffering from getting jobs to make plant thread (with the attendant hauling down and then back up). This might be an extension of the currently existing manager enabled ability to tie workshops to individuals and/or skill levels.
- Auto shear/spin (tied to the farmer's workshop by the animal pen, not the one used for plant processing...).
- Auto process to thread and auto process to slurry (for instance) are not mutually exclusive, but they are competing. If both were enabled every even job would be thread making and every odd one slurry making. Since these require different skills, it would be messy.
- Auto production targets (with the option of no limit) would be nice.
- I wouldn't mind an auto quire option, but it would be useless (in my view) if it's not possible to tie it to a workshop. The craftdwarf workshops already have a large number of jobs with different skills tied to them, and I really want to dedicate workshops to a single skill for most parts. I certainly don't want bone carvers, stone crafters, wood crafters, paper makers,... to jump around the different workshops with all work stopping because all the shops are blocked by bone carving jobs because the bone carver is on a season long praying spree.

I believe Toady is considering a manager overhaul, so maybe some of these things might make it in at that time.
Pages: [1] 2