Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: On Managers, and Private Workshops  (Read 1493 times)

Kioku

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
On Managers, and Private Workshops
« on: February 13, 2016, 06:48:33 am »

I've come to enjoy the manager screen to ensure that my workshops keep on operating if I forget about them when I want a long list order - this particularly applies to clothesmaking, masonry, and carpentry.  What I wonder is, is it possible to exclude certain workshops from those that take manager orders?  I want to manually manage a few of them that are set aside for my high-skill dwarves, while using the manager for training purposes in a few industries.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: On Managers, and Private Workshops
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 08:11:52 am »

Not really.
You can however forbid the building material of a workshop to exclude it from manager tasking. If you want your highly skilled dwarves to use it though, you'll have to unforbid it again, which in turn makes it a valid target for the manager queue. So you can separate your trainees and highly skilled dwarves' workshops, but it's not really possible to have both your manager queue train trainees, and your highly skilled dwarves making stuff at the same time, without much micromanaging.

Then again, I've never yet fiddled with the workshop inclusion options for burrows. Perhaps there's a way to achieve what you want using those, but I don't think so. I'll think you'll still be looking at the same restriction that the forbidding thing gives you; not without much micromanaging.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 02:25:41 pm »

You can also fill up a workshop with 10 orders on repeat and suspend them all to keep the manager from putting jobs in that shop. Then when you want to manually queue something up, just cancel a few of the jobs. You do have to remember to put the suspended jobs back later, though, so it's not ideal.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 04:02:09 pm »

You can order to remove workshops in question, their production queue will be removed and (if those were placed by manager) redistributed to other workshops of this type. Then just cancel the removal to use it again.
Should help as long as you keep the production numbers small, worked well with Dfhack's Workflow.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 04:05:06 pm by Diamond »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 05:17:31 pm »

You could also set a whole bunch of 'proper' orders and allow them to be distributed across all the workshops. Some of the jobs will be carried out at the 'skilled-only' workshops, some at the 'unskilled-only' workshops.

Then you start to be discerning. Good-quality items go into storage, bad-quality items go into a stockpile that feeds into a magma chute or atomsmasher. If you need the good stuff made right now or have limited resources, then you can manually specify it at the 'skillled' workshops. If you don't have enough 'skilled' workshops to hold all your orders, convert the 'unskilled' workshops or build more workshops.

You'll lose out on a little skill gain if your unskilled carpenters are making one table per job instead of three cups, but ehh. Even a Novice will produce a masterwork, given a good roll of the dice.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Bradders

• Bay Watcher
  • A creature fond of drink, incense and industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 06:21:59 pm »

Yeah everyone's listed all the kludgy workarounds, but there's no elegant solution, really.

Kludgy indeed!  As toady just finished a bunch of additions to crafting options (specific materials, specific crafts) I imagine some work is coming to the Manager soon.  Currently it only really seems useful for mass-ordering certain goods from singular-workshop industries.  It's great when you want to finish kitting out your military and can say "40 backpacks and 40 waterskins plz good dwarves" and the single leatherworks handles all 80 orders in its time. 

It's obnoxious when you have mason's shops in multiple areas to work with different local stones while not trucking it all to a central shop (because fuck carrying all that stone so far) and your order for 15 cabinets gets spread over 6 shops and some of the crafts fail because of lack of materials at X location, and your crappy blockmakers start making them when you wanted your legendary dorf to do the job by himself at his cobaltite workshop.  Similar issues with designated forges for your armor / weapon smiths.  So, you resort to the kludge of filling the shops you don't want working with suspended dummy orders.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 01:43:26 pm »

You can also fill up a workshop with 10 orders on repeat and suspend them all to keep the manager from putting jobs in that shop. Then when you want to manually queue something up, just cancel a few of the jobs. You do have to remember to put the suspended jobs back later, though, so it's not ideal.
I found this to no longer work in 42.x. The manager just adds them to the queue regardless if it's already full. The job order lines are just added below that and overflow the production window box.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479