Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: When I reclaim a retired fort, I find it full of merchants  (Read 3801 times)

Conradine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
When I reclaim a retired fort, I find it full of merchants
« on: February 09, 2016, 06:59:26 pm »

Every time I retire then reclaim a fort, I find the merchants that previously visited it as hostiles ( other civilizations ) or citiziens ( mine civ ).
Someone else found that bug?

PopTart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When I reclaim a retired fort, I find it full of merchants
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 08:14:41 pm »

Yeah, not just merchants, but just tons of citizens marked as hostile or citizens. Though I'm letting them hang out for the time being because they're not actually attacking anyone. I wasn't sure if they'd let me use their depot, so I deconstructed and rebuilt it, but that probably wasn't necessary.

I tried out some other forts in the same world, and they all had citizens and hostiles (I don't remember about merchants).

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 02:29:01 am »

I'm not sure it's a bug. It allows to clear the reclaimed site of dwarven non-members of your civ (if you want to), and prevents from going rogue with your own civ in case of merchants. Otherwise it could result in a gruesome loyalty cascade.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 02:58:19 am »

It is a bug. Toady even tried to fix it one or two versions back but whatever he did, didn't work.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 03:00:31 am »

Your own citizens sometimes will join/create other factions and become hostiles, but it is not hostile hostile because they don't attack you. Maybe the faction logic is still incomplete.  It is same as using dfhack to embark on another fortress (your own civ or not), their dwarves will also show hostile.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 04:07:13 am »

If this is a bug, the what is the intended behaviour?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 07:25:01 am »

Visitors shouldn't be hostile, wagons shouldn't be drinking in your tavern.
He tried making merchants and wagons leave 'cleanly' upon retire. Didn't seem to work. Doubt it's very high priority right now, merchants are made up of ancient buggy code that will be replaced entirely one day.

-- There we go, 40.24
Major bug fixes:
Made retire store away merchants and diplomats and not mark visitors and residents as hostile
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 07:28:53 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 05:31:31 pm »

What version are you playing?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Conradine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 12:28:53 pm »

All version I played had that problem.

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 06:37:25 pm »

This mental image cracks me up!

I'm not sure it's a bug. It allows to clear the reclaimed site of dwarven non-members of your civ (if you want to), and prevents from going rogue with your own civ in case of merchants. Otherwise it could result in a gruesome loyalty cascade.

I haven't played many unretired forts, but if you were to go through and kill every sentient being on the map, there wouldn't be loyalty problems? I have always avoided touching other dwarves, even when "hostile", because I assumed it would cause problems with traders, visitors, etc.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 03:57:19 pm »

This mental image cracks me up!

I haven't played many unretired forts, but if you were to go through and kill every sentient being on the map, there wouldn't be loyalty problems? I have always avoided touching other dwarves, even when "hostile", because I assumed it would cause problems with traders, visitors, etc.

It might, but the mechanics is not clear to me. I stopped attacking other dwarves a few versions back, so don't know how this is handled now. The dwarves from abandoned fortresses are a part of civilisation, and I'm never sure which civilisation it is. If this is a rival civ, they should be killable without a loyalty cascade, but there were changes to handling factions in this years versions, so I wouldn't risk it.

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2016, 01:39:23 pm »

Just use magma. Unsure if you can attack someone or not? Just use magma, and maybe make them a nice slab. Sure some of your dwarves might get sad, but it will prevent a dwarf vs. dwarf loyalty cascade.