Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [0.40.x] civ has a leader(s) of another race  (Read 1038 times)

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
  • make due with what you have
    • View Profile
[0.40.x] civ has a leader(s) of another race
« on: February 11, 2016, 03:45:01 am »

i made a custom race and was trying to balance them out, checking history on every world creation for if they die out too early or other things die too fast.

i found two things... first is unrelated to topic and would be nice to get help too but isn't the point...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

the important and confusing thing i need help with is... i check my custom civ and every once in awhile... an elf is appointed leader.  it dies near instantly thankfully and is replaced but... it repeats often.
how do i stop this or what is causing it?  i'll post the entity_custom file if needed (except its embarrassing creature name as everyone most likely done it to the ground)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.40.x] civ has a leader(s) of another race
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 07:55:07 am »

That's how the world works. Dwarf Fortress is full of invasions, occupations, migrations, etc. All of which means no civilization is homogeneous.
My minotaur civs have a thing for plump helmet men apparently. You'll often find them in important positions throughout the civs.

If you want to stop it, you could look at goblin civs which tend to remain fairly goblin. This is possibly due to the following factors:

1) They live forever so leaders aren't replaced that often
2 They live forever and so have much more time to raise the social skills needed for important civ positions (also contributes to them becoming monarchs of dwarf and human civs)
3) They have Kill Neutral: Required ethics, which I think hinders immigration somewhat.

That said, you will find Gorlak kings of goblins sometimes. Like I said, that's just how Dwarf Fortress works. And it will almost always happen until Toady implements xenophobia (or perhaps some civs will develop laws on racial purity of the royal family when laws come in).
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 08:23:06 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 10:59:09 am »

You can mod in xenophobia now if you really want to by specifying the creature types eligible to hold specific noble positions.  The repeated nature of the "alien" leaders might point to a problem with your creature's socializing (or skill acquisition in general).  How long do they tend to live?  How long are the supposed to live?
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 11:11:01 am »

For your unrelated question, how many unique megabeast types are there? Population distribution will be relatively even, so if you have ten types of megabeasts in a world with twenty megabeasts total, then there only being two dragons in a world would be about right.

It is similar for entities as well. If there are five unique entities, and you specify that there should be ten civilizations in a world, there should be about two civilizations for each entity.

And as mentioned, you could add the tag [ALLOWED_CREATURE:CREATURE:CASTE] to defined positions to only allow specified creatures/castes.

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 01:17:59 pm »

not discrediting other commenters (thanks too) but...
For your unrelated question, how many unique megabeast types are there? Population distribution will be relatively even, so if you have ten types of megabeasts in a world with twenty megabeasts total, then there only being two dragons in a world would be about right.

It is similar for entities as well. If there are five unique entities, and you specify that there should be ten civilizations in a world, there should be about two civilizations for each entity.

And as mentioned, you could add the tag [ALLOWED_CREATURE:CREATURE:CASTE] to defined positions to only allow specified creatures/castes.
i'll have to double check the uniqueness for world gen then thanks!
as for my real issue... well thats the thing... my (highest) leader positions are reserved for a specific caste but maybe i didn't syntax the tag correctly [allowed_creature:creature_caste] is what it appears atm... no error log appeared on world gen as its written here.

of course i fully expected these leaders to only last a fraction of thier life because they're also the war commanders however they're protected with a squad... and the caste in question is slightly stronger due to slightly larger.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 01:54:29 pm »

Please post the RAWs here, it's hard to help otherwise.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 06:16:30 pm »

entity
creature just in case... has some broken/disabled tags
i'm still looking for the side quest of uniqueness with megabeasts... swore only needed cave count to determine but thats obviously not it as was pointed out.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 06:21:11 pm »

[ALLOWED_CREATURE:ALPHA]

Do you have a creature with the ID of ALPHA? You have a caste called ALPHA, so it should be like this:

[ALLOWED_CREATURE:LYCAN:ALPHA]

First argument is the creature ID, and the next is the allowed caste's ID.

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 10:31:22 pm »

see that's the thing... why didn't game spit out an error log about that then?
ps, clearly works now although took a LOT of reading to double check x.x
interesting i have two PEACEFUL necromancer leaders... idk how i gotten necromancers on this civ, don't care XD they developed merchants and liaisons.

seen... a lot of things.  most of time, only elves challenge my civ, and its pretty evenly matched usually. although elves are oddly persistent (multiple one year wars right after each other) vs my civ's "it is either dead or now peace".

although saw one oddity... custom civ start then apparently a werebeast that was originally human goes on rampage... that or some human has been eating every animal in a site, even during a war (which apparently nothing happened or they lost), then ended with two dwarves being a noble and a human plus a mid rank noble custom creature.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 08:47:19 am »

see that's the thing... why didn't game spit out an error log about that then?
Because the syntax is correct. You specified that a creature named "alpha" is the only one that can be the leader. The game doesn't care much that there isn't a creature with that ID.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?