Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wild troglodytes wallowing in misery.  (Read 1084 times)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wild troglodytes wallowing in misery.
« on: February 11, 2016, 05:19:07 pm »

I have captured some troggs for the purposes of contact breeding (via a cage of wild male troggs and female troggs on restraints outside) and one particular female trogg has a tucked itself away to the furthest reaches of its restraint and is exclaiming "wallowing in misery" the other female trogg in this process doesn't seem affected in the slightest.

For some reason they are very docile (notably, as i can provide reference on request, i hypothesised with other forum members in a thread about trogg fear mechanics that they experience fear in much the same way adventuremode civilians do, and react to aggression.) and its a new world with only five years under the belt, so likely there has been no historical trogg hostilities.

I've not gone out of my way to kill any troggs to scare them away, or provoke them (though one made a charge before stopping in my cage traps, unable to determine if that was a hostile act towards a puppy+restraint down there, or bravado confidence intellectual being modifiers.)

Are there any interactions that can be made with this? Some more information to this previously unheard of to me behavior would be helpful. Providing they'll not smash them up, ill put a bed down there or something to cosy them up and soon get better quality restraints. If nothing else and i don't get a baby/breeding programme, ill sell them to the human caravan (humans accept slaves even if dwarves don't, they are that docile they shouldn't be a issue to recatch/put out of misery)

Kneenibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wild troglodytes wallowing in misery.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 05:53:41 pm »

If it helps your science -- I recently had a wild giant mole chained in a tavern who sat directly on the restraint "wallowing in misery."  I, too, had never seen that before.

I had an animal training zone designated around him, but either the trainer hadn't gotten around to him yet or being inside the dining room/tavern designation interfered with his job.  I ended up moving him to a totally different area to do proper training, and the wallowing went away.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wild troglodytes wallowing in misery.
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 06:11:21 pm »

If it helps your science -- I recently had a wild giant mole chained in a tavern who sat directly on the restraint "wallowing in misery."  I, too, had never seen that before.

I had an animal training zone designated around him, but either the trainer hadn't gotten around to him yet or being inside the dining room/tavern designation interfered with his job.  I ended up moving him to a totally different area to do proper training, and the wallowing went away.

Nice find. Its not just slow learners then, that slightly dissapoints me but !science! is science after all.

Here's something else. A dwarf (my immigrant woodworker) came in and just stood in there for no reason despite not being a zone quite deliberately, then the trogg was cured. Dwarf contact makes it go away, a bit like needy emus i guess. Anyway i've pimped out the holding room with stuff (dwarves come and go to eat there, its a nice way to starve off the needyness i think.) and set citizen only tavern beds for the heck of it within the walk space of each trogg as a jesture of good will (i've not seen them use it and i don't think slow learners prefer it either).

I guess they dont form viewable relationships because troggs dont talk back if he was talking (no information about it at all)to it

EDIT: Trogg babies born free, first thing they try to do is path back to the caverns (through my trap systems, win-win) ill see if i can task them to something as tavern decorations or something along those lines.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 06:54:40 pm by FantasticDorf »