Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Of these factions, what should I play as?

Mordor (They get pretty epic units, can't build stone walls/castles and their leader is Sauron who is quite powerful)
- 4 (15.4%)
Gondor (They get really great defenses structures, strong defensive units. Epic fight against Harad and Mordor)
- 1 (3.8%)
Isengard (a very fun, very diplomatic game. Not so much focused on fighting, though they get pretty cool units too)
- 4 (15.4%)
High Elves (a very fun economic/defensive/diplomacy focused game. Mostly peaceful as their cities are far off on the corner of the map, but do battle various orc factions. Can't build castles)
- 0 (0%)
Orocarni Dwarves (a newly added faction of Dwarves, very good infantry and siege, surrounded by powerful factions)
- 11 (42.3%)
Free men (they are fun to play, no heavily armored units, but do get Gandalf which is always epic in Lord of the Rings)
- 1 (3.8%)
Harad (the men of the south. They are fun to play, get as cool units as Mordor and Gondor get. Might be a bit overpowered since they control all of the south and start with most territory. Might be too easy, so I'd prob break alliance with Mordor)
- 0 (0%)
Orcs of Gundabad (they get cool troll units, and are probably most organized of the orcs. Can't build stone walls/castles)
- 2 (7.7%)
Orcs of Misty Mountains (they get trolls too, and pretty much start with battles against elves early on. No stone walls or castles.)
- 3 (11.5%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: February 18, 2016, 08:32:00 pm

Author Topic: (poll #2) Which Third Age Total War faction should I be? (second attempt)  (Read 3598 times)

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=156111.0

Originally, I was going to use Dagor Ennor mod, but it isn't that great (last played it years ago, but hasn't changed much if at all). So instead going to use the 4.8 alternative patch + extended map mod (which is a HUGE middle earth map).

I listed most of the factions in the poll. But didn't list Rhun and the regular Dwarves, nor did I list Dale. And one of the Elf factions I didn't list either (Silvari Elves I think, or Sylvari elves, forgot exact spelling). Never been too big a fan of the first three (except maybe regular dwarves, but I'd rather do Orocarni Dwarves out of the two). And out of the elves, always preferred the high elf ones.

I was planning originally playing as Harad, and still might depending on the poll. But they are quite a bit easier in the extended map mod because they get so much extra territory. I'd betray Mordor and attack him lol. Mordor would be cool to have Sauron as the leader, he'd be pretty epic in fights...probably OP though lol. Like Harad would betray Mordor if I played as him, I'd betray Harad as Mordor so there'd be a bit of a challenge with gondor vs mordor vs harad. Be a pretty epic war.

Gondor and Free men are always fun, same with the High Elves. Gondor tends to be most favorite for the people playing Third Age, so a bit overplayed. But free men DO get Gandalf who is a ton of fun to control.

As for the Orcs, I've never actually really played as the Orcs that much. So I don't know much about them in the mod, so it be quite new. Their troll units are quite powerful, though orcs themselves are pretty weak individually, have to use sheer numbers.

Isengard is fun for a diplomacy focused approach and getting alliances early on, he gets pretty good Uruk-hai units too.

As for the poll. It'll be up for 7 days, and I'll bump this once a day (depending how busy forums are, don't want to spam lol). But I might decide sooner. I leave tomorrow to visit my friend and get back Tuesday, so I'll see what the results end up being then.

Also this poll should be vastly better than my first (and rather lame tbh) poll I did before. I even added details to each choice that is available to select. So should help easier to decide :)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 08:56:49 pm by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (poll #2) Which Third Age Total War faction should I be? (second attempt)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 08:48:10 pm »

And to end it off, before I start packing.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=155934.0

You can see the results of that poll from the other mod (Harad wasn't in the poll choices though). You can also see that this poll is vastly better and does look more "professional" I suppose. :P That and a lot of people thought that poll I linked to was a joke, because of the choices. Probably didn't help much lol. But, Dagor DID literally have those factions, you could literally play as dragons, spiders, ents and stuff. But they weren't very well developed and had barely any units besides the Corsairs. Not including the bad performance and crashes. The two new mods I'm using for Third Age are a lot better.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 12:05:57 am »

We could go with all those other factions, but I'd rather go down down to Goblin-town!
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 12:24:14 am »

We could go with all those other factions, but I'd rather go down down to Goblin-town!

ah, yup and as the name implies for the Orcs of Misty Mountains, they do actually get goblin units as well (named something else though, but still goblins). I forgot they had troops that consisted of goblins lol. The only funny thing (to me) is they can get diplomats :P Can be diplomatic goblins/orcs lol :P

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 12:56:40 am »

Also as a heads up, I voted for the Dwarves based on what my best friend voted for. Its not my actual personal vote (don't really have one). But thought I'd give a heads up on that. He doesn't really register to forums much or register to most sites, but maybe eventually I'll get him to register here lol. In any case, I put that for his own vote.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 04:16:16 am »

It's a singleplayer mod. Pick the first faction you thematically enjoy and then change it if you don't find it mechanically satisfying. Numerous save slots exist for a reason.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 04:31:11 am »

It's a singleplayer mod. Pick the first faction you thematically enjoy and then change it if you don't find it mechanically satisfying. Numerous save slots exist for a reason.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Actually, I'm voting to see what people would like to see played as most. Going to do a semi-community let's play on it (like I've seen people do with Aurora 4x, won't be video based but something like I saw from one let's play of Aurora 4x. I forgot what forum it was on, but it was a HUGE thread and people got to make decisions and stuff), though wasn't very clear on that part. The first link in the original post takes you to the start of it.

I like most if not all the factions in Third Age Total War, so it doesn't really matter which one is picked since they are all good :P

And yeah I guess Goblins in Middle Earth are actually pretty much Orcs, I've heard that other places as well.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 11:51:38 am »

Orcs and goblins are different language words for the same race (at least in The Hobbit). However, the weaker ones are called Snaga, and the tougher ones are called Uruks, and sometimes they're referred to as goblins and orcs to differentiate them.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 02:57:24 pm »

I'll bump this up once, but looks like dwarves are the clear winner.