Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Wayward Terran Frontier came back from the dead  (Read 4642 times)

splad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wayward Terran Frontier came back from the dead
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2016, 06:53:53 am »

Oh, this looks interesting. Somehow flew under my radar, heh.

What's that about CPU leaks and the likes? Anyone knows if the new/upcoming version any more stable?

The latest version 0.3.3.10 isn't perfect by any account, it's going on early access after all, not a final release. However it is orders of magnitude more stable than versions that were out only a few months ago, and compared to the game that existed when I made that original forum post It's pretty much an entirely new beast.

We've gone from the point where the game ran 6-8 processor cores at 100% with 8-10 ships battling and crashed pretty regularly from random thread synchronization issues, to a place where 20-30 ships isn't a really big deal and your save game file might last weeks before being replaced due to a minor bug or an update that makes the game better.

In this video I talk about some neat engineering stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3kMyIVWlPs

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
Re: Wayward Terran Frontier came back from the dead
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2016, 06:27:10 pm »

This came out today. I bought it the first minute it came out since I turned my computer on 2 minutes before it unlocked. That was funny.

I could only play an hour and a half today, but I enjoyed it. It feels more raw and Early Access than what I had in mind, but it really has the potential to be the Open-World Action Oriented FTL-like I wanted.
I'm still flying the second ship (the first one with guns) and the designer feels a little bit intimidating when looking at it for the first time (and I don't think there's any in-game tutorial about it yet), but I still have to play more to see what the game really has to offer.

I did fire at the butt of an unarmed ship, boarded it, murdered the captain and took his stuff (found research data).
And also explored a derelict station, and almost got wrecked by a stupid turret (found a gun and more stuff).
So that already brought up my hype up for more adventures!

And hi Splad.  :) I'm hoping we can get to sabotaging ships from the inside, not sure if that's in yet, but I really have a weird urge to board things and kill them from the inside on games. My best run (and the one I had the most fun) on FTL was actually with a boarding+ion setup.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.
Pages: 1 2 [3]