Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: What are the origins/reasons of the hatred toward elves amongst the players?  (Read 11817 times)

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile

The emnity between elf and dwarf is an old fantasy trope; couple that with the fact that elves could be super frustrating in the olden days of the game, and the fact the memes were really funny and have provided the dwarves with some hilarious whipping boys for their magma based doom weapons, and you're left with a community that hates on elves out of principle.

The poncy bastards have it coming for thinking that being pretty and living in the trees makes them better than us.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Shofet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think of them as exteme PETA. Its only fair to eat something thats roughly on level with you.

Fairin

• Bay Watcher
  • Furry!
    • View Profile

my hatred for elves in df comes from all the times i accidently added a wooden item to the trade window and missed it then they get all pissy and leave without giving me the things i wanted to trade for example. my early learning  games some years ago, i needed food desperately and they just packed their junk and left... kinda don't forgive that...

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile

they want a monopoly on the wood market. they are not hippies. they are republican monopolist capitalists that want to be the only ones selling wood.
that's good enough reason to hate them
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game

Also Toady went against regular fantasy tropes by making elves cannibals, which only helps dwarves/players to hate them more.

I don't know, cannibal woodland fae don't seem too unusual. Elder Scrolls has the exact same thing, wood elves that are cannibalistic (and, in their case, eat exclusively meat, though IIRC elves in DF eat only sentient meat, no animal meat), so it probably came from somewhere.

The original Fair Folk were basically eldritch nature-dwelling aliens that would abduct people and do horrible things to them for kicks.  At least some of them were.  So, it's not too far out there.

BTW, DF elves will eat animals, but only if they kill them in self-defense.  You can trade them animal parts, because they can't prove that you didn't kill them in self-defense.  My understanding of elvish morality is basically that all life, sapient, plant, and animal, is equal, therefore you have a right to kill to protect yourself and of course you can eat whatever you kill.  The reason why they hate tree-killing in particular is because trees don't attack you and you can't eat them, so you can never justify killing them.

Isaacc7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also Toady went against regular fantasy tropes by making elves cannibals, which only helps dwarves/players to hate them more.

I don't know, cannibal woodland fae don't seem too unusual. Elder Scrolls has the exact same thing, wood elves that are cannibalistic (and, in their case, eat exclusively meat, though IIRC elves in DF eat only sentient meat, no animal meat), so it probably came from somewhere.

The original Fair Folk were basically eldritch nature-dwelling aliens that would abduct people and do horrible things to them for kicks.  At least some of them were.  So, it's not too far out there.

BTW, DF elves will eat animals, but only if they kill them in self-defense.  You can trade them animal parts, because they can't prove that you didn't kill them in self-defense.  My understanding of elvish morality is basically that all life, sapient, plant, and animal, is equal, therefore you have a right to kill to protect yourself and of course you can eat whatever you kill.  The reason why they hate tree-killing in particular is because trees don't attack you and you can't eat them, so you can never justify killing them.

I've always wondered why they get bent out of shape when we cut down trees. They must cut down trees to get all of the wooden stuff they have.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile

The reason why they hate tree-killing in particular is because trees don't attack you...
Or so they claim. I've lost three dwarves to trees already.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile

The reason why they hate tree-killing in particular is because trees don't attack you...
Or so they claim. I've lost three dwarves to trees already.
The trees were acting in self-defense.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile

I've always wondered why they get bent out of shape when we cut down trees. They must cut down trees to get all of the wooden stuff they have.

Lore-wise, they specially shape the tree, and obtain specially grown items that were made without harming the tree itself.

Functionality-wise, they just call it 'grown', and secretly use tree-harm as an excuse to gain a monopoly on wooden goods.

They also used to refuse animal products in earlier versions, which made trading just about anything with them near impossible.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile

They also used to refuse animal products in earlier versions, which made trading just about anything with them near impossible.
"I have a rock here for you.  No animals or plants died bringing you this rock.  How fast do you want me to throw it at you?"
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Admiral Obvious

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Wordsmith
    • View Profile

"I have a rock here for you.  No animals or plants died bringing you this rock.  How fast do you want me to throw it at you?"
Sig'd.

On another note. It SEEMED that the elves ignored one of my items being adorned with spikes of wood I originally bought off of them, it that's relavent to anyone.

Only if you buy wood from the elves will they accept the mutilation of the stick they gave to you.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 05:46:26 pm by Admiral Obvious »

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile

Lore-wise, they specially shape the tree, and obtain specially grown items that were made without harming the tree itself.

Functionality-wise, they just call it 'grown', and secretly use tree-harm as an excuse to gain a monopoly on wooden goods.

I recall reading somewhere that they have a reaction that turns seeds into wood in their craftself workshop. They use their superior wood production technology to flood the market with cheap wooden crutches, while poor dwarves can't start their businesses due to unfair regulations.
Either way, I find it really sketchy that they happily buy your cabbage, even though the plant was effectively killed, while they are ready to start a war over a tiny figurine that could as well have been made from a single twig without killing any trees (not possible in game, but elves don't need to know).

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile

I am 90% sure that the reaction you're referring to is in a mod somewhere, since there is no such reaction in the unmodded raws.

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile

I am 90% sure that the reaction you're referring to is in a mod somewhere, since there is no such reaction in the unmodded raws.
After an hour of searching, I've finally found the thread I was thinking about: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=152403.msg6438559#msg6438559.
I did some research, and it's bullshit. Vanilla elves can't grow wood in fort mode. I've been played like a fiddle.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

After an hour of searching, I've finally found the thread I was thinking about: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=152403.msg6438559#msg6438559.
I did some research, and it's bullshit. Vanilla elves can't grow wood in fort mode. I've been played like a fiddle.

they were discussing a mod there...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4