Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: What are the origins/reasons of the hatred toward elves amongst the players?  (Read 11816 times)

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile

My whole life is just cold, bitter hatred for elves, and I have always loved to see them die violently.

Nowadays, elves aren't as bad as they used to be. Before, they'd start wars at the drop of a hat, freak out over wood and massively take over worldgen, sometimes making the more interesting races disadvantaged. When they inevitably went to war, they'd not leave anything cool (goblinite) and would just add more clutter and lag to the map.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

NorkasAradel

• Bay Watcher
  • FUCK
    • View Profile

basically "MUH TREES"
Quote from: Announcement Screen
Kasat Osmandonu, Ghostly Human Bard has risen and is haunting the fortress!
At least his moaning and chain rattling will be in key and hopefully entertaining.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My whole life is just cold, bitter hatred for elves, and I have always loved to see them die violently.

Nowadays, elves aren't as bad as they used to be. Before, they'd start wars at the drop of a hat, freak out over wood and massively take over worldgen, sometimes making the more interesting races disadvantaged. When they inevitably went to war, they'd not leave anything cool (goblinite) and would just add more clutter and lag to the map.

Yeah... until we get the ability to turn wooden items into charcoal at least(oh, the irony!), elven sieges just don't leave anything worthwhile that other races can.  All races (other than humans) drop resuable clothing, but at least humans/goblins drop smeltable metal that can be Armok-sent if you live in a metal-poor area (or none of your 4-5 metals are weapon's grade).  The flood of copper, bronze, and iron is a huge boon when all you have is tin, gold, and zinc. 

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test

Masterwork lets you burn invaders' wooden items into charcoal and ash. It's simple enough to mod in (or just copy from Masterwork).
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Which means it should be simple enough for Toady to add in once his attention turns to it. We just have to wait for the Hypnotoad to finish the things that interest him more.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile

my hatred for elves in df comes from all the times i accidently added a wooden item to the trade window and missed it then they get all pissy and leave without giving me the things i wanted to trade for example.
Sieze their stuff. Once you offer them wood, they become unwilling to trade further but nothing else happens. The items will still have (T) after them, you'll still be in the trade screen, so you can just nick whatever you want. The game will know, but making an item 'yours' by decorating it allows the stolen goods to be resold. Traders will also take stolen goods as part of a counteroffer, if you can wangle it.

Last Spring the bastards got pissy about something I offered them, even though I checked everything. I think it was one of the instruments. Next Spring I'll offer just that instrument, and if they refuse it again I'll forcequit the game and make a note of it on the bug tracker.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They use their superior wood production technology to flood the market with cheap wooden crutches, while poor dwarves can't start their businesses due to unfair regulations.
Well, they can, but if there are then complaints they'll find they won't have a leg to stand on...

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test

That joke... *groan*
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Lately I'm really starting to love the elves.
I allready have a couple of elves that wanted to be soldiers , then they asked for permanent residence allowing me to put them into the task of making even better Steel weapons.
And best of all, no complaints for burning that wood and smelting the iron for their works :D

Not good with names

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That joke... *groan*

"...even though we don't see eye to eye (Ha ha!)"

Every. Goddamn. Year.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile

They use their superior wood production technology to flood the market with cheap wooden crutches, while poor dwarves can't start their businesses due to unfair regulations.
Well, they can, but if there are then complaints they'll find they woodn't have a leg to stand on...
FTFY
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Here, have a lilly.  Feel free to gild it.

:P

Thorik

• Bay Watcher
  • Inspector of Conspicuous Cheeto Consumption
    • View Profile

I hate elves because I love Lord of the Rings, and Tolkien's favorite guys were the elves while mine were the dwarves. Also in the movies, Legolas was made to seem way too badass (when in the book he was on par with Gimli), and the Hobbit movies (aside from being generally atrocious) portrayed dwarves as childish, and had elves jump on their backs in order to front flip into combat.

Elves always steal the DWARROWS time to shine. That's why they must be destroyed.
I like sushi.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't hate them.
But their caravans are too small and I usually don't want wood weapons. So I usually ignore them for they are too pitiful.

Kamitorrorga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For one, I once felled a tree to free some dwarves ( Somehow, they got up there ). I decide T cut it down, thinking they'll just be little bruised.

One of them had their thumb explode into gore while another had broken rib.

However, I do have to admit, they're easier to trade with then the humens or dorfs. I offer humans a 1200 DB golden exceptional quality amulet and they kept saying "I wont trade at a loss" until I gave them all the gold I had set up for them. But the elves still bring useless dingoes and wood paper armor and weapons. I usually just grab some clothing from them.
Advise 1: Babies + Miners doing an aquifer plug + underground = Floating Haunted Baby Fun.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4