Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Rise and Fall of the Egyptians (Civ IV Modded)  (Read 3353 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Rise and Fall of the Egyptians (Civ IV Modded)
« on: February 13, 2016, 03:56:12 pm »

This was an attempt at making a succession game utilizing the Dawn of Civilization mod to the Rhye's and Fall of Civilization mod for Civilization IV.  Due to lack of interest, things have shifted over to a text-based Let's Play of the mod, currently utilizing the Egyptian-Paragon-Marathon settings.

Below is a full list of the options we had, including how long each turn would have lasted.

Civilization
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Difficulty
Heir
Regent
Monarch
Emperor
Paragon

Game Speed
Marathon (1500 turns total, 60 per person)
Epic (1000 turns total, 40 per person)
Normal (500 turns total, 20 per person)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 09:46:16 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Rise and Fall of ??? (Civ IV Dawn of Civilization Succession)
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 07:35:21 pm »

Civ: The Egalitarian Harappans
Difficulty: Paragon, as befits our players (probably won't include me, I don't own this treasure)
Speed: Marathon

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Rise and Fall of ??? (Civ IV Dawn of Civilization Succession)
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 10:50:23 pm »

Civ: The Egalitarian Harappans
Difficulty: Paragon, as befits our players (probably won't include me, I don't own this treasure)
Speed: Marathon

As there has been no other response, I'll go through with this.  I'm not going to particularly like it, but I will go through with it.  I'll go through my run-through soon.  Hopefully there will be someone to take over for the turn after.  I'll run through a second batch of turns, but I would prefer this game to be a mess of many different overseers trying to take our civ in a variety of paths.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

The following is an excerpt from the first chapter of the book, Rise of the Harappan Civilization.

The Harappan Civilization has its roots within the Indus River Valley.  However, under their first leader, they would not remain there for long.

A march south for reasons unclear was performed for reasons not entirely clear to modern historians.  The location would later prove both a boon and a curse to the population, but that is better written about at a later time.  What is clear is that the territory held by the settlers had grown to a fair degree in a relatively short period of time.

The population had built up a road directing towards their homeland within a fairly short order.  Discovery of elephants along the way from the Indus River valley had the civilization develop hunting in short order.

Further records of this earliest point of history are unclear, but it is known that something occurred to the lineage of their first leader at this point in time, and control transitioned to another line of rulers.

It is not much, but there isn't really too much to say in these early turns.  I have no doubt later ones will get quite heated in terms of conflict and other events.  One point of recommendation I have, if you are going to build a city, build it at our starting location.  While the spot to the northeast does look tempting, placing one there will only get us into trouble as that is where the Indian civilization spawns and if we refuse to let it flip, then we'll be at war.

Save

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

Going to run through the next turn since no one has deigned to pick up a turn.  If no one takes one during the day after that, I'll run through the next one and continue on that route until someone decides to take a turn.

Edit: Believe I understand why now.  After just a couple turns, stability reduces to the point that the civ collapses...new game it is, then.  Going to just run the current settings and Egypt.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 04:16:52 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rise and Fall of the Egyptians (Civ IV Modded Succession)
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 05:23:26 pm »

Stability?
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Rise and Fall of the Egyptians (Civ IV Modded Succession)
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 05:28:25 pm »

Stability?

Something added by the mod.  If you are in collapsing stability, your or an AI's nation has a chance to implode into barbarians and independent cities.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Rise and Fall of the Egyptians (Civ IV Modded)
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 10:19:09 pm »

Ran up to turn 300 as there is so little to do in the early game, as a result of civilizations being introduced over time.  To give a point of perspective, the count started at 3 in 3000 BC due to the Harrappans not spawning, to a maximum total of 8.  It's in fact not for another several turns before things really start to really pick up in number, but we have reached a point where we can get a fair amount of interaction.

Turns 1-300
Birth of the Egyptian Civilization

The creation of the Egyptian Civilization lies within the Nile River Delta.  While the initial groups formed at the same time as those of the Babylonian and Chinese nations, the people had been marched North to the Delta rather than remaining where they had originally settled.  Their civilization expanded for a time, soon coming across a variety of plant life that their herbalists attempted to utilize to boost the health of the nation's populace with the backing of the Government.  The attempt failed.

Denoting their later policies, the Egyptians first developed the art of Mysticism and began to raise their first obelisks.  A historian at the time by the name of Gibbon compiled the first list of the ranking of the world nations.  While the names were unknown, there are descriptors that are similar to the nations of Babylon and China being ranked above the Egyptian people.  Soon after, a historian by the name of Herodotus ranked the militaries of the worlds, and also placed the Egyptians at the bottom rank of the known civilizations.  One by the name of Tacitus did rank the Egyptians higher in culture, admittedly, but that was at a later date.

Within the Delta, large numbers of bandits and floods plagued the young civilization.  The people always rebuilt and the small military proved to be competent enough to deal with the problems in a majority of cases.

As the nation expanded, two major events occurred.  First, there was contact with the Babylonian civilization.  While the nation would eventually collapse within the coming years, there was a short time of contact between the two civilizations, though trade was largely blocked by the free peoples inhabiting the city of Yerushalayim which would continue to isolate the Egyptians until conquest by the Greeks many years later.

The second event was the development of the Hindi religion within the capital of the Civilization as they discovered the art of Meditation.  This event was rapidly followed by the initial contact with Greek Sailors and the construction of the great Pyramids to inter the dead of the dynasty that ruled over the Kingdom of Egypt.

Near the time the civilization of India was born within the valleys of their subcontinent, the Egyptian people began to believe an Oasis found near the capital of Ineb Hadj had the Waters of Life, a belief that remained evident within some portions of the populace to this day.  This discovery was significant enough to attract attention of the Pharaohs, leading them to cause a forced march to establish a new city nearby by the name of Amunia.  In addition, the second history of Gibbon was created around this time and ranked the technological progress.  Greece had been deciphered as having the second position while Egyptians were once again at the lowest rank outside of the barbarians and independents.

In relatively rapid order, Animal Husbandry was discovered, allowing for the creation of Chariots, and contact was established with the Phonecian peoples, later known as the Carthaginian people after the sacking of the city of Sur by the Persians.  In addition, the greeks conquered the city of Yerushalayim, renamed Hierusalem when under their control.  Furthermore, many great wonders were created at this time within the nation, the Hanging Gardens, the Kashi Vishwanath, and the Great Sphinx.

Persia was contacted just before the completion of the Great Sphinx and the establishment of mining within the Egyptian nation.  As the Egyptians finally entered the Bronze Age, they established contact with the nation of Rome as well.  Past this point, their history begins to slow again as it begins its experiments in Archery and readies settlers to settle further up the Nile River...

« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 03:47:39 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 10:45:32 pm »

Lots of wonders, but not much else I guess.  Nice read.

It would appear that you'll be leading the Egyptians for a while.  Good luck!

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2016, 11:15:49 pm »

Lots of wonders, but not much else I guess.  Nice read.

It would appear that you'll be leading the Egyptians for a while.  Good luck!

Honestly, there are two areas where things could be considered as very touch and go.  First is with the Romans having the potential to have an event occur where I believe 5 legions spawn next to each city.  Second, Arabs spawn in with a lot of units, many strength 10, and if recall correctly, at war with Egypt.  Barely survived that with a Persia on Monarch.  Hell, only way I had my stability kept at a level where the empire wouldn't collapse was to keep another war I was waging ongoing.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2016, 05:29:26 am »

Could you make the image a tad larger? They're too small to see, and it's annoying to open them one by one. Otherwise, nice writing. :)

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2016, 11:32:03 am »

PTWing a fellow Civilization LP :3
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2016, 03:47:07 pm »

As some of the wonders were modified from vanilla, might as well list the effects of each of them here.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2016, 10:49:49 pm »

Had written an update to turn 450 up on my Kindle using a On-The-Go Usb adaptor to allow me to use my keyboard to input into the reply area.  Thing fucking refreshed, losing all of it.  Was longer than the above update.  Fuck.

Really wish this forum had two features of Spacebattles.  One, able to 'threadmark' posts for rapid perusal of updates/turns/etc. in topics.  Second, posts occasionally autosave so if shit like this happens, the post is kept in storage unless removed or posted.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2016, 02:13:03 am »

Second, posts occasionally autosave so if shit like this happens, the post is kept in storage unless removed or posted.

If you use Firefox, get Lazarus plugin. Saves every text field the moment you stop typing for a second and the texts don't expire for several years I believe v;
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.
Pages: [1] 2