Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should Toady One Greenlight DF On Steam?

Yes
- 26 (13.4%)
No
- 145 (74.7%)
Maybe
- 23 (11.9%)

Total Members Voted: 192

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Should Toady One Have Dwarf Fortress Greenlighted On Steam?  (Read 9078 times)

Killgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Should Toady One Have Dwarf Fortress Greenlighted On Steam?
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2016, 11:37:54 pm »

Blah blah blah corporate profits.  Blah blah blah shareholder garbage.

The needy masses can take their needs and fornicate themselves with those needs.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 11:39:31 pm by Killgoth »

Mathalor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2016, 11:47:26 pm »

As far as DF on steam goes.  Sure.  Whatever.

There are plenty of steam games who's forums are never visited by their developers' representatives.  Forum policing isn't an issue.  It would probably lead to more publicity.  But if we were afraid of that, we'd be decrying the museum and every news story that mentions the game.  Some people who are comfortable with steam may enjoy the option of downloading it from steam, but if you're willing to brave all that dwarf fortress takes to understand what's going on in the game, setting up a non steam game to run from within steam isn't going to be nearly as complicated.  There are plenty of free to play games on steam.  There are plenty of alpha build games on steam.  And I'm not talking about greenlight.  Having the game on steam doesn't mean I can't download it from here.  Having the game here doesn't mean I couldn't also download it from steam.  People whine on steam.  People whine elsewhere as well.

I think there are a lot of bad reasons not to do this, and a lot of bad reasons to do this.

Publicity.  If Toady wants the steam publicity, he should do it.  If he doesn't, he shouldn't. 

I can't honestly think of anything else relevant to consider here.

Mathalor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2016, 04:50:04 am »

I thought about it some more, and there might be costs and programming efforts that I haven't considered.  They might make for good reasons not to, depending on what they are and what Toady and Threetoe want.

Chronicle

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2016, 03:47:31 pm »

I won't comment on "should" because that implies things that aren't necessarily the case.

I will say that I would love the convenience of having DF on Steam. I just bought UnReal World on it's Steam release today for just that very reason. And for the same reason I plan on re-purchasing Rimworld when it comes to Steam.

However, I also understand that DF can't just be tossed up on Steam and forgotten about. It would take time and effort to maintain and also create the expectation for certain features to be added. I'm not sure it would be worth the time and hassle.

hatesdigimon

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp, I am.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2016, 06:18:50 pm »

I only say yes for the workshop and auto-update capabilities

but similar setups could be done without steam i suppose

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 29, 2016, 01:22:05 pm »

I only say yes for the workshop and auto-update capabilities

The updates that break save compatibility would not mesh too well with the latter of these.

As for the former, I would quite enjoy it.  I know the PyLNP utility has a mod merging ability, so if an ability to download directly from DFFD was created, we might be able to effectively create a version of the workshop.  Intermod compatibility would be a bit mixed, admittedly.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #51 on: February 29, 2016, 01:50:57 pm »

I don't want to bring the Steam community to this forum.

Admiral Obvious

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 29, 2016, 02:37:29 pm »

The Steam community is everywhere. I'm one of them.

It's not THAT bad assuming you ignore the whole community/forum parts.
"I have a rock here for you.  No animals or plants died bringing you this rock.  How fast do you want me to throw it at you?"

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #53 on: February 29, 2016, 02:46:00 pm »

The Steam community is everywhere. I'm one of them.

It's not THAT bad assuming you ignore the whole community/forum parts.
Me too, but I'm a B12er before anything else.

Aren't those the same terrible people who would visit these forums?
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 02:47:47 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Chronicle

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 29, 2016, 05:13:00 pm »

Honestly, in my experience as a Steam user.. the type of person you're worried about coming here tends to.. umm .. let's say "lack the drive" to sign up on an additional forum.

But that reminds me of another expectation that being on Steam creates - that an official representative of the dev team will actively participate on the Steam forums. Somehow some Steam users have gotten it in their head that official forums are third party and that the auto-created Steam forums are the only true forums a game should be using once on Steam.

Not to mention the typical "X weeks since last path. Game is Dead/Scam" posts that will inevitably happen.

Again, I personally would love the convenience of DF on Steam... but the more I think about it the more I think it would just be a bad idea...

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #55 on: February 29, 2016, 05:20:20 pm »

Honestly, in my experience as a Steam user.. the type of person you're worried about coming here tends to.. umm .. let's say "lack the drive" to sign up on an additional forum.

But that reminds me of another expectation that being on Steam creates - that an official representative of the dev team will actively participate on the Steam forums. Somehow some Steam users have gotten it in their head that official forums are third party and that the auto-created Steam forums are the only true forums a game should be using once on Steam.

Not to mention the typical "X weeks since last path. Game is Dead/Scam" posts that will inevitably happen.

Again, I personally would love the convenience of DF on Steam... but the more I think about it the more I think it would just be a bad idea...
Makes sense.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]