Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bone equipment?  (Read 1709 times)

draeath

• Bay Watcher
  • So it has come to this...
    • View Profile
Bone equipment?
« on: February 13, 2016, 07:15:12 pm »

TL;DR I want to flail around ineffectually as an outsider with a spear fashioned from elf bone...

Let me start by saying I've not done any raw modding before. I also realize the results probably won't be very "good..."

I'm wanting to mod in bone armor and weapons. Specifically I'm looking at playing outsiders in adventure mode now that we can do bone carving stuff - being able to outfit yourself with something is better than nothing.

I believe adding the tokens ITEMS_WEAPON, ITEMS_ARMOR, and perhaps  ITEMS_WEAPON_RANGED and ITEMS_DIGGER would result in bone being a valid material for these items, however I'm not sure if that would be sufficient. Do I need to learn how to work reactions? Following up on that, if I put in a reaction with the ADVENTURE_MODE_ENABLED token, said reaction would only be valid for adventure mode - correct? I'd have to add separate reactions should I want these to show up in fortress mode?

Final question - what specifically makes one allowed to use a species' bone for items? Is it an ethic token (and if so, what's the magical combination... and are outsiders also subject)?

EDIT: got it to work! Unfortunately it (still, seems this is an old issue) takes the quantity OF stacks for reagents, rather than the number of items FROM a stack. I was hoping to require, say, 8 bone to create a mace, but instead I have to settle for one stack of bones, regardless of how many bones that stack may consist of.

Feel free to make use of this however you see fit! I have not included armor or other equipment in this - just some weapons that make sense, bolts, arrows, and blowgun darts. As mentioned earlier, these results are probably not very effective, but it gives you a means to make some of this stuff out in the wilds. Further thoughts: perhaps producing an ITEM_TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_KNIFE_CARVING from a bone stack and a rock? This allows you to start from nothing.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 11:33:15 pm by draeath »
Urist McAlchemist cancels extract isotope: interrupted by supercriticality accident.
This kea is so raw it stole my wheelbarrow!

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
Re: Bone equipment?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 09:58:04 am »

Just fyi, once you define the category description/keys/nesting behaviors, you don't need to do them for every reaction, just the category id.