Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seed-Finder  (Read 1516 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Seed-Finder
« on: November 30, 2007, 12:32:00 am »

I was trying to think of a good way to check a lot of seeds rapidly. It's impossible. However, if we don't care about speed, a somewhat simple .bat file (I could possibly make) can be put together that will check 'n' seeds in order and return the list of seeds that generate in less than 'a' attempts. A more complex C++ or something system (much beyond my skill-set) could be able to 1.) cancel gens that take more that 'a' tries, and 2.) examine the world and record some basic data about each seed. I may be misunderstanding what a .bat file can do, however. It may be necessary to use some kind of memory reader to count the number of rejects and record that, and I know that that would surpass the capabilities of a batch. Does anybody who knows code feel up to a power-generator?
One other thing; this would require some time to run. Perhaps volounteers could take segments and report 0-2 reject worlds to the wiki when found. I.E. I have 345001-345500, Dwarfgeek12 has 345501-34600, et cetera.

Thoughts?

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

palin88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Seed-Finder
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 01:17:00 am »

I posted a question on the wiki along these lines asking if anyone had decoded the memory that holds map data for the fortress selection screen.

My thought was to scan the map data to find all instances of magma/brook/mountain/tree located within the same local zone. If possible, all four within the same 6x6 area.

Will

• Bay Watcher
  • Carp Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 05:52:00 am »

I have a few decoders but I don't know what to look for.

schm0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 08:59:00 pm »

If you have lots of time, you can just edit my own batch processing program I have for making multiple worlds, but I never specify actual seeds.

Besides, who has the time to manually check 2^32 created worlds? At 5 mins a piece, it would take decades to actually process them all.

schm0
-------------
Nuk: lol schm0, u r da funnay
Nuk: i lik u

FFLaguna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 09:04:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by schm0:
<STRONG>Besides, who has the time to manually check 2^32 created worlds? At 5 mins a piece, it would take decades to actually process them all.</STRONG>

Actually, it would only take 40,857 years.

Yourself

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 10:12:00 pm »

So if we got 40857 people working 24/7, we could do it in a year!

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 02:30:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Yourself:
<STRONG>So if we got 40857 people working 24/7, we could do it in a year!</STRONG>

In which time several new versions would have been released, rendering our seed values useless.

A more detailed search would be of more use than quick checks: These worlds are BIG. Quite possibly, a preliminary search could be done to grab all the local tiles with certain characteristics: eg. mountain tiles with an embarkable biome, that would therefore be a fortress-ready local area guaranteed to have Hidden Fun Stuff (EGP). Then each region tile could be scanned to see if it has a biome with: iron-bearing rock, flux-bearing rock, sand, etc.

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 03:20:00 pm »

if it quits after either the nth reject or the history, you could narrow down the list faster.

Then run THOSE through the specific checks.

Eh?
Eh!