Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Marksdwarf Training - the efficient way  (Read 916 times)

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Marksdwarf Training - the efficient way
« on: November 30, 2007, 07:37:00 am »

Training dwarves to use a crossbow takes a fairly long time if shooting on the range. And an awful lot of practice bolts too. I recently started a new map, to the cry of "You have located Arak Arosh, "The Shafts of Dimming", a cave."

This was then followed by a spam of "X cancels job, interrupted by bronze colossus." Disregarding the problems with embarking onto a colossus' lap, this was an opportunity to try something I have had in mind.

This fellow, a local resident, obviously not too impressed by his new neighbours, proceeded to chase and kill my guys around the map for a while. Luckily, I managed to build up a wall around four of the dwarves and the food I had brought, and I settled down underground to plan my revenge.

code:

my base

+++..++++++
+++..++++++
+++..++++++
+++==++++++
+++==++++++
+++DD++++++++++++++++++
+++..........===......
+++..........===...... -> outside
+++++++++++++++++++++++

Key:

. - floor
= - bridge
+ - wall
D - door

So, what we have here - two pits along a corridor with a few tiles inbetween, the pits bridged (retracting) with a lever attached to both, doors between the pits, then a corridor dug to outside from the other end. Then, with the aid of a handy migrant group I lured the colossus into the corridor. I locked the doors just before he reached them, and while he was bashing away at them, I retracted the bridges. Hey presto, my own pet colossus!

But why not just trap the guy in a regular cage, say? For a few simple reasons. a) you get a lot more experience as a marksdwarf for shooting living creatures.
b) colossus heal very quickly
c) arrows do most of their damage by piercing critical organs, which colossus have none of.

You do the math.

Recruit to Elite within a season, tops  :D

Shiona

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Marksdwarf Training - the efficient way
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 09:49:00 am »

Couldn't you just use a cage trap, then put the cage in a place like that and open it with a lever. I think it would require a little more time but there would be no timing the lever pulling.
(Btw, thanks for the hint, I've got one colossus sitting in my basement, ready for some teaching ^^)

elipsis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 02:00:00 pm »

I've had one in my basement the past while. they are insanely hard to kill with arrows. Barring the eyes (which were shot out pretty easily), I didn't inflict a single permanent wound to it with a legendary champion who was using very high quality bone/wood bolts, or moderate to high quality iron bolts. I literally shot at least 2000 bolts into it over a few years time.

after a while i got tired of playing with it so i had a catapult constructed pretty far back and now I'm having a dwarf train up his siege operation at the colossus, they've destroyed his right ear so far =D

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 02:31:00 pm »

Dwarf cancels construct building - interrupted by bronze colossus
Dwarf cancels flee - interrupted by bronze colossus
Dwarf cancels panic - interrupted by bronze colossus
Dwarf cancels hyperventilate - interrupted by bronze colossus
Dwarf cancels go insane - interrupted by bronze colossus
Dwarf cancels die - interrupted by bronze colossus
Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.