Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]

Author Topic: Decent game...but why no graphics?  (Read 18033 times)

Maurog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Decent game...but why no graphics?
« Reply #195 on: August 31, 2006, 09:48:00 am »

Just for the record, 1000/1 = 1000.

ADOM easily manages to color-code "400+ creatures" with plain old ASCII. I'm also very uncomfortable with sayings like "Toady used ASCII for this game because...", the only one who can speak for Toady is Toady.

I fail to see the point of discussing the advantages of graphics in commercializing the game when it's still in *alpha status*.

Doctor Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 31, 2006, 10:02:00 am »

There sure is a lot of nerd rage going on in this thread.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 31, 2006, 10:11:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by gimli:
<STRONG>

Yeh sure you retard. You are a funny little man. You can't see shit with this ASCII gfx, but you are already complaining that you won't see removed limbs in 2D. You need a doctor sir. Besides, decent artists could draw images about removed limbs even. They could draw a dwarf with 1 leg or whatever.
They could even draw dwarves in different armors. Everything is possible, because it is gfx. It is just a matter of time to make them.
Your IQ must be below average, or you are just fucking around here, hell knows why.
The fact is, that you can't see shit in ASCII just letters and colors, but you are already complaining about a 2D engine.
No fucking comment.</STRONG>

Ugh...I don't suppose somebody could please lock this thread? Everytime an interesting discussion gets rolling some nasty troll has to show up and try to drag everyone down to their level.

(And for the record, I would have been okay with eventually having the option of a tileset before, but after reading some of the posts here...hey, if ASCII keeps these kind of people away, stick to ASCII!)

[ August 31, 2006: Message edited by: Solara ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #198 on: August 31, 2006, 12:41:00 pm »

I've never had such a lively forum, so I'm unclear about procedure.  If the thread is locked, I guess, what, the discussion stops and some remnant of it is picked up later and hopefully stays on target?  Does that work?

I have no idea why there's so much emotion here.  Is the hatred derived from a fear of loss?  Not just not being able to play this game, but of all the past problems people have had with things like this over their gaming lifetime.  And some of the secondary anger might derive from irritation at not being able to read a clean thread on something without sifting through superfluous spiteful crap or being personally insulted.  These seem like valid concerns.  I don't have very much experience with banning, but it seems tricky.  If people exchange insults that encompass very large classes of people, I can't really pick and choose who gets tossed.  If instead, people ignore insults to the best of their ability, the insults will either continue one-sided or they will cease.  If they continue one-sided, it's much easier for me to act, although the abilities of this board are possibly quite modest.

In any case, we can try a lock.  I apologize if that's inappropriate, I'm new at this.  The thread certainly seems more sour than any other on the board.  If there's some element of the discussion anybody found interesting, they can try again.

[ August 31, 2006: Message edited by: Toady One ]

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]