Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Favorite Material to build with  (Read 2641 times)

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Material to build with
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2016, 09:42:14 am »

i like using cobaltite for floors walls and fortifications, i use nether cap for pots and beds, and gold for furniture, i have a lot of excess gold

i usually also gem encrust masterwork tables and chairs with just about every gem type i have

im in a layer of slate so smoothed and engraved 5x5 rooms arnt palatial enough without really nice furniture

remember: no matter how many elf corpses you have rotting in your hallway, happy thoughts from praying and owning insanely valuable stuff easily counters it
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2016, 10:27:20 am »

I use granite and marble if I build something on the surface. In case I have tons of gems, can also go for gem windows for the most important parts of the building (otherwise green glass is fine, with a bit of clear glass).

For furniture, I like black bronze.

mobucks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2016, 10:36:32 am »

Tower Cap logs that I buy at embark with my cheaty 9999 embark points worldgen profile. I have a small keep up for defense in the first season.

I love finding entire layers of Obsidian though.

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2016, 11:05:19 am »

Ice. It's easy and simple to just embark on a frozen ocean and carve a fort out of it. Looks good too once you smooth it all out.

Wheeljack

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes explosions for their BOOM
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2016, 11:19:01 am »

Quartzite and marble are my perfered but if I dont have access to them, I just try for a uniform look. I don't like it when I have a room or fortress that is multiple colors. Its easier to ignore if the different colors are by z levels, but too many times I have one half a zlevel one material and the other something different.

MinerMan60101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2016, 11:34:30 am »

Okay, so i have to figure out how to get glass. Kind of sad that i don't know how.
Keas are the Cliff Racers of Dwarf Fortress, both flying nuisances interrupting you whilst playing a game which you wish would become extinct.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2016, 01:40:17 pm »

Okay, so i have to figure out how to get glass. Kind of sad that i don't know how.

You need sand.  A given embark will either have it, or not... there's very little you can do about it if you don't have it.  (Some exploits may sometimes work, to change the terrain of a tile.)

Zone over the sand, and mark it for sand collection.  Make a bunch of bags.  Make some Glass Furnace workshops, and use those to queue up sand collection jobs.

Now make your Magma Glass Furnaces, and get the bags of sand down to them.  Do the actual glass work in the Magma Glass Furnaces only.  Use the non-magma ones only to queue up more sand collection jobs as needed.

Each bag of sand gives you one green glass thing, which can be "raw green glass" (cheap gems), or blocks, or most furniture (not beds), or some trap components (large serrated disks are very effective).  You can also make pipe sections and giant corkscrews, for magma-safe pumps.  Poke around the menus to see what else is available.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

MinerMan60101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2016, 02:54:31 pm »

okay, that is very helpful. When i looked at the wiki i decided i would need to use magma and i am a long way away from that
Keas are the Cliff Racers of Dwarf Fortress, both flying nuisances interrupting you whilst playing a game which you wish would become extinct.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2016, 03:04:56 pm »

Often, I will use a non-magma Glass Furnace + charcoal to make the pieces for a single magma-safe pump.  Then use that pump to redirect some magma to the place where I want to set up the magma smelters/furnaces/forges.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz
Pages: 1 [2]