Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Prepared ingredient spoiling in kitchen  (Read 1802 times)

Thorfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Prepared ingredient spoiling in kitchen
« on: February 09, 2024, 06:37:47 pm »

In the past, I've always punted about things like "prepared yak eye" from going to miasma by simply putting my kitchen "outside". It just seems like there should be something to do with it. The cook hauls it to the kitchen and it sits there until it rots instead of being cooked into a roast or something. I can end up with the whole group idle, and with every hauling enabled, and the job to return it to the stockpile never comes up. Even dumping it doesn't work.

I must be doing something wrong. Or is "prepared turkey brain" completely useless except for producing miasma?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Prepared ingredient spoiling in kitchen
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2024, 11:02:42 pm »

Was the "cook meal" job cancelled?
Is there a stockpile set to Take from your kitchen?
Does that stockpile accept yak eyes?
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Thorfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2024, 11:48:25 pm »

From time to time I get the message that the cook cancelled a job because not enough solid or unrotten ingredients, but I thought they checked for ingredients before they start the job, then flag the items they want to lock them. But me cancel them? No, I am pretty much hands off that level of micro anymore. Adding tasks to a specific workshop is about the most I interfere in the manager's job, and the first task in the game is a chair.

I have not tried Take from kitchen, now that you mention it. But yeah, there's a small stockpile that enabled all food so I can keep track of which things don't have stockpiles or have full barrels, but after about a year, the only reason anything ever ends up there is full barrels.

A little more information I have before it went miasma is that while I could mark it for Dump, no one would haul it away. Everything else I marked D, sure, they would haul that. But not those. I couldn't even autodump them.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2024, 02:46:59 pm »

From time to time I get the message that the cook cancelled a job because not enough solid or unrotten ingredients, but I thought they checked for ingredients before they start the job, then flag the items they want to lock them. But me cancel them? No, I am pretty much hands off that level of micro anymore. Adding tasks to a specific workshop is about the most I interfere in the manager's job, and the first task in the game is a chair.
They do not check to ensure there is enough to complete the job, they TSK-flag and haul one item at a time.

I have not tried Take from kitchen, now that you mention it. But yeah, there's a small stockpile that enabled all food so I can keep track of which things don't have stockpiles or have full barrels, but after about a year, the only reason anything ever ends up there is full barrels.

A little more information I have before it went miasma is that while I could mark it for Dump, no one would haul it away. Everything else I marked D, sure, they would haul that. But not those. I couldn't even autodump them.
 compete with other refuse stockpiles)
The Dump task may low priority, I have those "why aren't they moving it now" questions also. Maybe there was a labor shortage at that time they should have been moving the food, giving it time to start rotting (maybe small food items start rotting sooner?). I would
1) verify the kitchen doesn't Give to any stockpile that would limit removing unused ingredients
2) ensure there is a small Refuse/Item stockpile set up to receive the various food items (fresh food will never be brought here, and by having a separate stockpile for those rotting food items, it avoids potential competition with other refuse items jamming up the stockpile).
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Thorfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2024, 03:43:52 pm »

Oh, that's what is happening. So the answer is to either make sure there are plenty of ingredients on hand, or exactly the number you need. Makes sense, I guess. That's about when I would run out of ingredients brought on embark plus the butchered draft animals.

Is there a good way of having the cook use liquids without limiting the solid ingredients?

Thorfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2024, 05:07:02 pm »

You are correct. It's easy to duplicate, too. Just enable only 3 foodstuffs from the Kitchen menu and order a roast. And you are right in that you have to Take from the kitchen to get rid of them. Or at least my guys stood around doing nothing until I changed the stockpile to Take from Workshop. The jobs then immediately showed up in the J screen, and almost immediately they were taken and appeared in the U screen.

Still don't understand why the stockpiles won't gather from the kitchen without being explicitly told to. They gather from anywhere else on the map. And I don't understand why the cook wouldn't use non-TSK ingredients lying on the floor of his kitchen once I enable more ingredients. Why not take the stuff from 0 distance? But at least I know what to watch out for. Though honestly, it's a whole lot less hassle to just go back to building the kitchen and still on an "Outside" tile.