Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 56

Author Topic: Archcrystal: 500 years in a fortress [SPOILERS] Finished  (Read 477641 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Archcrystal: 241 years in a fortress [SPOILERS]
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2016, 05:19:56 am »

My current for is in year 21 now. Started with 10 dwarves, 4 of the starting 7 got married. I just got the first lover relationship between their children, so progress towards generation 3 is made. One of the two founding clans have been made baron and baron consort, it would be awesome if the RNG could pull a plot twist to make the other clan royal family.

Bot wow.. 241 years. Not sure if I'm going to last that long. I did embark on a treeless 2x2 embark for FPS sake, as I did intend this to be a multi-generation fort.
I have my hard pop cap at 150 (to get all game features), but you made me think twice about my FPS and I might reduce it.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2016, 11:38:40 am »

Build a room with a bridge to seal it and a piece of artifact furniture inside. Let the demons go inside. Close the bridge, trapping the demons. No more will wander in off the map and your dwarves will be safe. That's how I built the Hell Bunker and later the Hell Bastion in Bastiongate.

I was going to do something similar, but something else happened that was stranger but works.

Nice narrative. I'm enjoying your tale.

The construction will go much faster if you make a stockpile down there for your blocks.

The blocks are only about 10z levels up. But good idea.

My current for is in year 21 now. Started with 10 dwarves, 4 of the starting 7 got married. I just got the first lover relationship between their children, so progress towards generation 3 is made. One of the two founding clans have been made baron and baron consort, it would be awesome if the RNG could pull a plot twist to make the other clan royal family.

Bot wow.. 241 years. Not sure if I'm going to last that long. I did embark on a treeless 2x2 embark for FPS sake, as I did intend this to be a multi-generation fort.
I have my hard pop cap at 150 (to get all game features), but you made me think twice about my FPS and I might reduce it.

Yeah I found the major fps killer is population. I had a 2x2 embark on a glacier before this, and as soon as the population got over 125ish the fps dropped below 25. I think that was something like 6 or 7 years in. Where as this one with two rivers, waterfall, jungle, evil clouds, I still ran at over 50 fps for the first 100 years with a population of around 40. Plus I found I was much more interested in the dwarves I had because there were less of them. I actually read their profiles and found them useful, I celebrated every birth, and gave every death a proper burial. It also made the threats more engaging like the FB's although we did get a pretty good system going for killing them. I find the more population I have, the less interested I become, but that may just be me.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2016, 04:17:21 pm »

I must say, though, 0.42 is better than 0.40 in every way, including FPS. I'm getting 8 FPS in Bastiongate versus 4 before.

RocheLimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2016, 11:09:03 pm »

It is downright astounding, keeping a fort running for that long in-game.  The closest I can think of is Flarechannel, which crossed 213 years, but this fort seems to have a different goal than Flarechannel did.  I do have a couple of questions for such a long-lived fort:

What is your fort's current value? 
How many forgotten beasts attacked over the years?
How many artifacts have you had so far? 
Any bugs crop up randomly?
Any plans for the surface or caverns, if not already completed?
And just how do you keep your dwarves occupied decorating for centuries?  Do they do anything else?

I'd love to see pics/armok vision/"that fort upload website" of your embark.

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2016, 10:26:21 am »

Yeah, when I read Flarechannel, I lamented that the world around him didn't change. With the 40.24 fort it has changed a lot in 241 years which I'll get into in a later update. We've gone through 4 different Outpost Liasons and the goblins are running amok through the World.

What is your fort's current value? 

Current fort value is 65,027,235 with an export value of 3,083,425.

How many forgotten beasts attacked over the years?

We had 238 Forgotten beast attacks. They stopped coming around year 75 of the fort because the world ran out of them. A few still exist but they have permanent lairs elsewhere. Beasts were set to high, Medium World.

How many artifacts have you had so far? 

159 artifacts so far. Almost all of them are made by children when they turn 1 since we don't have migrants. Sometimes they even make a piece of furniture, but we have lots of jewellery.

Any bugs crop up randomly?

Not really, it's been surprisingly stable. Although I could only run it for a maximum of around 9 hours before it would stop working. So what I would do is run it Outpost Liason Dialogue to Outpost Liason Dialogue since it would naturally pause there. Then I would save it, close it and start it up again.

Any plans for the surface or caverns, if not already completed?

Yep. After the fort in Hell is complete I'll get into those.

And just how do you keep your dwarves occupied decorating for centuries?  Do they do anything else?

I would just set workshops to repeat for decorating, and once a year tell the manager to make more diorite caboshons, metal bars, etc. As for doing other stuff, getting dwarves into marriages was sometimes tough. Also, making all of the clear glass blocks and clear glass furniture for the fort was incredibly time consuming Ash, Potash, Pearlash, Bag, Sand, Charcoal. Took a while for them to do.

red_kangaroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2016, 03:06:42 pm »

PTW :D
My friends are all dead,
My right foot gone, but what a
Lovely waterfall.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2016, 04:27:35 pm »

Absolutely gorgeous

Dustin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2016, 12:55:27 am »

can you provide a download for your save, i wanna see this in person
Should we have embarked right next to a goblin fortress?
Yes we should have, no Goblins yet *yet*
Hi. I'm Dwarf fortress, and I'm a crashaholic

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2016, 04:38:01 pm »

Last time, the dwarves of Archcrystal invaded Hell and survived a fierce onslaught from the demon counterattack. Now as they build their fortress of glass, something seems amiss, and they try to discover what their evil enemy has planned now…

It had been over a year and a half since Doren the sheriff had last laid eyes on a demon, and it had disturbed him increasingly. He didn’t like not knowing things, and he didn’t like peace through ignorance. The glass walls continued to go up.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

They had to be very high to reach the semi-molten rock ceiling.

But if he was honest with himself, he would feel safer if there was something attacking them. At last, he had enough, and sent for Moldath and Iton.

Moldath and Iton were the last surviving members of the Mountainous Castles. The new Militia Commander who led them, was just 12 years old, so they were training her more than she was training them. While Moldath and Iton weren’t terribly smart, they both had an awful memory, they were incredibly lucky and seemed to elude disaster well.

Doren couldn’t quantify a talent like that, but he couldn’t ignore it either. He sent them out to have a look around Hell. Etur, the 12 year old militia commander insisted that she come along, so off they went with their tiny officer. Because they were only 8 years apart Moldath and Iton had acted like sisters to each other even though Moldath was Iton’s Great Aunt, it was fairly common place in Archcrystal, a place where everyone was related.

They moved quietly away from the Cave Dragons and moved to the south, the 12 year old Etur wide-eyed and gawking at the Eerie glowing pits of Hell. They carefully climbed the far southern ridge and when it seemed clear went down the other side. A large large glowing pit lay further south, and they stopped to look and listen. All was quiet. Moldath and Iton looked at eachother sharing their thoughts through long recognized facial expressions. They were puzzled.

They looked at Etur, her armor and helmet far too big for her small frame. Moldath smiled, but Iton frowned. “What’s wrong?” Moldath whispered.

Iton quietly pointed at Etur’s shoulder where a pile of dust was slowly starting to gather. They followed the tiny dirt waterfall upwards. Straight above was one of the other 3 adamantine spires. This one though, was hollow almost all the way to the top. Their underground vision served them well here as they could see up almost twenty stories into the shaft. There, they saw movement – a wing flutter, an eye glint. “They’re up there,” Iton whispered.

“What are they doing up there?” Moldath whispered.

“I don’t know, are they trying to dig?” replied Iton.

“Demons can’t dig, dumbass.”

“How do you know?!?”

“Because I’m older than you.”

“By only eight years!”

“And two generations, remember?”

“Yeah, well your generation’s out of touch.”

“Well, your generation’s spoiled.”

Just then a small pebble hit the stone ground, and a larger rock almost landed on Etur. They all crouched silently and looked up for danger. After a few minutes Iton said, “Let’s get out here.”

“Good idea, what do we tell Doren?”

“I don’t know, just what we saw I guess. Let him figure it out.”

So they left to tell the sheriff with the militia commander skipping behind them.

I’m not sure why the demons climbed the south adamantine spire, but they seem stuck up there for now. Maybe they tried to find an alternate path to the fort? I know they can sometimes sneak through into the magma sea, but they are just sitting there for now, like they are waiting to ambush me. In any case for now its causing no new demons to spawn which is just fine by me.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2016, 05:37:02 pm »

Posting to watch because this is too badass to ignore.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2016, 06:10:50 pm »

It looks like you might be joining the exclusive club of people who have walled off hell!

Dustin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2016, 06:31:19 pm »

This should be a story Threetoe should use, as this is amazing, indepth and very interesting
plz provide more plz
also a save would be nice to as this is a must see
Should we have embarked right next to a goblin fortress?
Yes we should have, no Goblins yet *yet*
Hi. I'm Dwarf fortress, and I'm a crashaholic

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2016, 06:52:02 pm »

This should be a story Threetoe should use, as this is amazing, indepth and very interesting
plz provide more plz

Thanks! I'll finish building the fort in hell first, and then I'll put the save up.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2016, 11:39:01 pm »

plz provide more plz

He's already made at least one story that involved a fortress built in hell. It didn't end well for the builders.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Archcrystal: 243 years in a fortress [SPOILERS]
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2016, 08:14:27 am »

He should make one where it does end well. And by end well, I mean the Dwarves become the new Demons and start taking over the Goblin sites. Because why the fuck not? :P
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 56