Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 56

Author Topic: Archcrystal: 500 years in a fortress [SPOILERS] Finished  (Read 477421 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: Archcrystal: 310 years in a fortress [SPOILERS]
« Reply #180 on: December 14, 2016, 06:33:06 pm »

NCommander used DFhack liberally in updating Doomforests, and there isn't a stable version for 0.43.05.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 14, 2016, 07:04:56 pm »

Hm. What features are missing from alpha3 for updating to be possible, anyway?

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 14, 2016, 08:36:50 pm »

Hm. What features are missing from alpha3 for updating to be possible, anyway?

i think its the ability to generate memory layouts.

64 bit really threw a curveball

but Quitest and lesthor would be the ones to ask (yeah i misspelled your names, im not good with spelling and they arnt proper english so spellcheck does nothing)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 08:38:47 pm by steel jackal »
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 14, 2016, 08:50:05 pm »

...Eh, having your previous mem-layout generating tool not work only affects for how hard it is to find addresses for the variables not yet known for 43.05.

The scripts that use now already known addresses and data structures should* work fine, with proper requirements declarations (when booting up alpha, it gives a list of plugins which miss required globabls).

*not everything that appears to run may work fine, though, due the second part.

Walkaboutout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 22, 2016, 06:44:18 pm »

OP, this is awesome, it's how I generally mean to play DF. I don't know how you're getting through the FPS issues. Since the multi-tile-tree/world-activate releases, I haven't been able to do a multi-generational fort. After 2 to 3 years I see a drop in FPS that's so bad, I just can't stand to play much longer. Neither here nor there really. I did, however, want to say "awesome fort"

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 22, 2016, 07:01:31 pm »

OP, this is awesome, it's how I generally mean to play DF. I don't know how you're getting through the FPS issues. Since the multi-tile-tree/world-activate releases, I haven't been able to do a multi-generational fort. After 2 to 3 years I see a drop in FPS that's so bad, I just can't stand to play much longer. Neither here nor there really. I did, however, want to say "awesome fort"

He set his fortress's pop cap at just 60. IT does wonders for the CPU
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Archcrystal: 320 years in a fortress [SPOILERS]
« Reply #186 on: January 01, 2017, 08:19:52 pm »

Ucim Kasmuthe was invited down to the tavern for a drink and to await the king's audience. Flanked by his guards he left the caravan to conduct business with the dwarves of Archcrystal. He knew from experience that “down” meant a fair bit more here than with the other dwarven fortresses. This time on his descent he remarked how far the glass tower had come. It climbed upwards like a frozen hand clawing its way to the surface, yearning to be free and unleash its inhabitants upon the world. It stretched over 60 stories now up from unimaginable depths where horrible nightmares made their home.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It was down here that Ucim was led. Descending the great tower of glass he could see into other worlds – large caverns that stretched for eternity into alien lands. Then past another layer of rock only to open to another world of caverns. The tower now served as a portal between worlds and ecosystems. Finally he could see through the walls into the great magma sea that covered the semi molten bedrock through to the horizon. But still they went down, at last reaching the entrance hall and finally the tavern. It was here, in the heart of hell, the dwarves of Archcrystal found solace and merrymaking. Ucim could see through everything, as it was all made of glass – into bedrooms, chambers, storerooms and jail cells. He could see through to the outer walls where the demons swirled against them in determined frenzy to gain entry somehow. Whatever artful technique the dwarves used to make the glass unbreakable seemed to confound their enemies. Ucim hoped it would last.

The meeting with the king was uneventful as it usually was, though Ucim worried about the recent attack of the elves on Archcrystal. At last it seemed the elves of The Circumstantial Dune had enough of the clear cuts the dwarves used to feed their furnaces. They attacked Archcrystal 2 years ago with over a hundred of their best archers. None survived.

The elves made a hasty alliance with the goblins who sent yearly sieges attempting to take the fortress. It was said the goblins feared the dwarves might invade their capital of Hatejoined not from above, but from below. The idea of marching a dwarven army through hell to take the slade tower from beneath would seem absurd to any who did not know the dwarves here. Their brand of insanity was exceptional here.

After a few dwarven ales and stories that continued to boggle his mind, Ucim and his guards ascended the tower towards the surface to return home to the normal world. One of his guards turned to him and remarked, “I'm worried that when they complete their big tower, the demons might come out of it.”

“I'm not,” replied Ucim. “I'm worried that when they complete their big tower the dwarves might come out of it.”

The clear glass tower is now over halfway to the surface and in the home stretch. I've also now caught breeding pairs of Dragons and Rocs, but I'm waiting to do anything with them to keep fps reasonable.

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 01, 2017, 08:27:00 pm »

What's your FPS at, after all this time?

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 01, 2017, 08:30:06 pm »

Been holding pretty steady at about 9 for the last few months.

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 01, 2017, 10:18:38 pm »

Have you tried throwing out any junk items either, to a caravan, or to an atom smasher? I hear it helps, particularly with clothing items.
Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 02, 2017, 10:13:52 am »

Ω Skipping floors? You have one PITA to build.

Theoretically, could use a macro to lay out the entire tower, then suspend and unsuspend things as they come along. Not sure this would help, though.

Ω Would be that glass would be truly transparent!

Ah, but there nevertheless are windows into small sea of magma.

Would be that dwarves actually cared about it!

But they don't have to, for we do.

Ω Elf Bowman Wicked Soot husk? Eek. Dusting husk has a way of spreading on punching. 

Ω Well, at the very least you might want to estabilish a tame breeding pair of rocs and dragons, so you don't have to worry about it later.

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 02, 2017, 06:02:32 pm »

Have you tried throwing out any junk items either, to a caravan, or to an atom smasher? I hear it helps, particularly with clothing items.

Yep! I've been regularly atom smashing the garbage or dumping it through a trap door into the eerie glowing pits. It's mostly just the population is now 145 and there's a lot going on in the world now that the game constantly has to simulate.

Ω Skipping floors? You have one PITA to build.

Theoretically, could use a macro to lay out the entire tower, then suspend and unsuspend things as they come along. Not sure this would help, though.

Yeah, but I like having something to do. Even if it is repetetive, it gives me some usefulness as a game player, and a reason to check in on them every so often.

Ω Elf Bowman Wicked Soot husk? Eek. Dusting husk has a way of spreading on punching.

The wicked soot dusting regularly gets on the weapons from fighting the husks that venture in the fortress, so that when a dwarf stabs an elf in the shoulder it's instant infection which can make the battles a little more interesting. Much scarier when it's a Demon though.

Ω Well, at the very least you might want to estabilish a tame breeding pair of rocs and dragons, so you don't have to worry about it later.

I've already trained one of each and let them revert a bunch of times, but I've realised that by the time I may want the hatcheries the trainers might be done their lifespans. It's ok usually the legendary trainers don't have much trouble even with the dragons to get them up to *trained*, because they are constantly still re-training Hydras and Cave Dragons.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 02, 2017, 08:49:56 pm »

Semi-recently went hunting for evil biome with reanimation + weaponizable dust (ideally blinding unconsiciousness I've seen earlier)

I saw localised blisterer (deadly in cloud only) and husking dust as only viable ones. Which are, well...Interesting is the right word for the latter.

In the end I decided in favour of no evil weather and to hope for useful FBs/clowns; partially due moderate desire for eventual open-air tavern and unknowable future air biomes.

When it comes to melee weapons in particular, I'd be paranoid of something as simple as husking weapon lightly tapping a dwarf on the uncovered ear in a spar - I take it this doesn't husk? - or a gauntlet/glove getting destroyed in a fight and dwarf grabbing the weapon with bare hand.

Though these weapons could perhaps be more effective in weapon traps for the elves, soldiers use gear they're familiar with better.
(On that, TODO for me: Check that game doesn't segfault on dwarf-wieldable weapon breaking in trap in 43.05)

I had a visiting dragon revert to untrainable current resident in 43.05 some how or another (moved it out of a cage to a rope after training wasn't progressing - training still didn't progress), so just something to consider.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 08:52:40 pm by Fleeting Frames »

jocke the beast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 03, 2017, 09:57:24 am »

Just wanted to show my deepest respect for your achivement. Great fun to read!
Me: Come, Join me on my adventures!
Crossbowman: *spits at me* Surely any place is better than this, lets be off!

DF_Silvestre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 03, 2017, 11:15:43 pm »

That's awesome. Also, an pureblooded royal family called "The Dipped Spears"? xD Almost seems deliberate.
Centuries running a 50-dwarf fort, huh? Makes you think of the implications of running that type of game on a monster gaming PC. You could probably build an entire pocket world-sized fort with a decent population.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 56