Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 56

Author Topic: Archcrystal: 500 years in a fortress [SPOILERS] Finished  (Read 470193 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Archcrystal: 320 years in a fortress [SPOILERS]
« Reply #195 on: January 04, 2017, 06:54:37 pm »

Nah. DF scales with single-core performance/ghz, cache size and RAM - latency in particular. Gaming PC expensive graphics and other cores are pretty much useless there, and FPS decreases more towards exponentially than linearly with increased things to track - though even if it didn't, I'd expect a 272x272 embark would cost somewhere between 115 to 300+ GB RAM to load at 0,3 FPS on embark at best (and probably less than tenth of that, even before one has to dip into swap space that will further make it crawl at less than 1%[?] of that, or has some flier or werebeast try to path all over it).
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 06:56:17 pm by Fleeting Frames »

DF_Silvestre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 04, 2017, 07:30:51 pm »

Will it only use one core to process the things?

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 04, 2017, 07:34:39 pm »

DF isn't multicore.

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #198 on: January 05, 2017, 11:21:00 pm »

“I'm worried that when they complete their big tower, the demons might come out of it.”

“I'm not,” replied Ucim. “I'm worried that when they complete their big tower the dwarves might come out of it.”
Hahahaha...
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #199 on: January 25, 2017, 08:42:43 am »

*does the update summoning dance*

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 25, 2017, 11:51:59 am »

*does the update summoning dance*

Heh, well nothing much to update yet. Glass tower now goes through the entire 2nd cavern layer which is about 30 z levels. Fort value is up to 135 million, and we've used over 31,000 clear glass blocks. I've also started turning all of the iron goblinite into steel for armor and decorating. Our major export is now Hydra Totems which is about a 500,000 a year business

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 25, 2017, 12:27:38 pm »

Just wow... dont forget to up vote this in the Hall of Legends
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 26, 2017, 01:24:48 pm »

As an aside, here are some of my favourite weapons of the fort passed through the ages:

The Domain of Insanities

IndigoSpark

The Fur of Love

Knotseared the Sorrow of Walls

Shakenwind the Ferocious Armor

Healtunneled the Spring of Ticking

Fedbalanced

The Foggy Morass

Messspun the Rainy Howl

The Abysmal Owl

The Brushed Clash

Shamefulintense the Heavy Deterioration
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 08:58:57 am by Sethatos »

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 26, 2017, 01:43:26 pm »

I wonder what the story behind Indigospark being used for a single kill by a furnace operator is?
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 26, 2017, 02:18:27 pm »

I remember that one actually. Back then we had a dedicated military of 15, 10 melee and 5 marksdwarves. Melee dwarves would take the FBs without poison gas and the more difficult FB's would be lured into an area with fortifications and shot to death by the markdwarves. All the other dwarves had a military uniform with weapons so I didn't have to worry about clothes. We had just cleared out one of the caverns of wood and closed it up again, but one of the trees made a hole in the cavern soil into a tunnel underneath. An FB showed up in the cavern and pathed through the hole to where the Furnace Operator happened to be walking by. Before I could get the military there he had killed it single-handedly.  I think it was one of the last FBs we got at the fortress and the next user didn't get another kill with it until Moldath claimed it and killed the world with it.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 26, 2017, 08:19:58 pm »

Ok, WOW. I'm only a newbie (with still a little bit of my sanity left :P) and haven't even battled a forgotten beast, but I know utter amazingness when I see it.
Also why is one of the heavily decorated adamantine battle axes with over a hundred kills called "The Fur of Love"? That is, why is "love" included in the symbol list for naming weapons?

Also, I just want to say I have a 5-year 80-dwarf fortress in a 6x6 embark with heavily wooded and mountainous terrain (on Windows even), and it runs just fine at ~70 FPS if I don't have any other resource-hungry applications running. EDIT: Perhaps it's because I don't have DFHack?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 08:25:33 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 26, 2017, 08:55:29 pm »

Perhaps it's because I don't have DFHack?

No, it's more the this fortress has been running for ~300 years, and been accruing an immense amount of items. DFHack will practically always improve performance.

Spinning Fly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 26, 2017, 09:21:22 pm »

Also why is one of the heavily decorated adamantine battle axes with over a hundred kills called "The Fur of Love"? That is, why is "love" included in the symbol list for naming weapons?

One of the first skills a weaponsmith learns is how to forge irony.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. The competent use magma.

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 26, 2017, 09:49:55 pm »

One of the first skills a weaponsmith learns is how to forge irony.

Too true. The Fur of Love is actually the most prestigious weapon in the fortress. It was the axe of Bomrek Cradlecrafts the Waning Fence of Gales. He was the first militia commander and the "Adam" of the fortress from which all the dwarves are descended from. After he died The Fur of Love passed to Thikut the next commander who didn't kill a single thing with it and then died during the invasion into hell. After that it passed to Etur , who became the new militia commander at the age of 12 and scouted most of hell with Moldath and Iton. When Etur became duchess she kept the axe even though it's supposed to be for the one who holds the position of militia commander and she wields it to this day, most likely intimidating the diplomats who come to see her.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 26, 2017, 11:13:45 pm »

I'm surprised none of them were made as a result of a mood. Still, I notice several notable yaks - Budtraded on IndigoSpark, ? bull and Basinprowls the Bold God on the Fur of Love, notable unnamed bull and cow on Knotseared, another on Shakenwind the Ferocious Armor, Mindfultulips on Fedbalanced and another on Shamefulintense the Heavy Deterioration*.

I take it those are the cases where caravan was partially husked, the husked yaks killed caravan members and you sent in squads to kill the husked yaks?

Also, looking at the weapons kill ages, you started using short swords relatively recently. What inspired the change from axe and spear? Desire for variety?

*Btw, you typoed Shaemfulintense in your post above :v
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 56