Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 56

Author Topic: Archcrystal: 500 years in a fortress [SPOILERS] Finished  (Read 475886 times)

newtonsolo313

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Archcrystal: 320 years in a fortress [SPOILERS]
« Reply #255 on: March 02, 2017, 02:33:06 pm »

Thanks everyone for your continued interest and the votes in the Hall of Legends!

I've just downloaded the new starter pack, and am running dfhack with the game again. It automatically purged the Dead/Missing list of over 7000 units. After that and a couple of autodumps and a clean all the fps went from 7 to 12. So hopefully things will be moving a bit faster from now on.
7000 dead things? That is crazy that's more bodies the most of my forts have stone!

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 02, 2017, 06:09:59 pm »

Lots of stuff dies in 250 years: local wildlife, sieges, and poor innocent forgotten beasts that happened to stumble into Sethatos's ruthless killing machine of a fortress.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Sbcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [MALFUNCTIONING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 02, 2017, 06:29:58 pm »

Don't forget the 1000 so demons.
To the beer!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: March 04, 2017, 02:14:50 pm »

PTW.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: March 04, 2017, 05:39:42 pm »

PTW.
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: March 16, 2017, 06:23:36 pm »

Also PTW.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: March 17, 2017, 12:55:40 am »

The Threadomancer gestures towards the thread. The Thread shudders.
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 17, 2017, 02:02:28 am »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 17, 2017, 07:03:03 am »

This thread is the reason I signed up with DF. PTW
Quote from: AoshimaMichio
Oh no, you won't laser my death star.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating

Ranalcus

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Model Kit Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 17, 2017, 07:15:23 am »

My mortal mind can't understand the grand work done in this mighty fortress.

Kind Sir, you are a great mind with a refined taste and bright mind.

Thank you
Mountainhome Stong!
Remove Tree-Fondling-Hippies!

Trxstr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 19, 2017, 04:59:24 pm »

oh jesus, this thread is interesting
PTW

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Archcrystal: 336 years in a fortress [SPOILERS]
« Reply #267 on: March 19, 2017, 08:51:43 pm »

Fath Ringeddimple, the last child of Asob Boltaction, sat cross-legged in a meditative trance in front of the artifact door.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

“Cross Attics” was the single entrance into the fortress from hell and Fath would often sit before it determined to unlock its mysteries. It glowed with the ancient markings of his ancestors, and it was the unbreakable barrier between Archcrystal and the swirling legions of demons. He would sit and watch intently as the military often cleared demons from the entrance with ruthless efficiency. The thick glass walls distorted their bodies into even wilder shapes blending into one another casting shadows from the eerie glow of the pits. The shadows danced upon the young dwarf's face, his eyes darting back and forth between the impossible shapes as they fought.

He was obsessed with the study of these artifacts which his ancestors had created. Fath himself was one of the last to create an artifact in Archcrystal, the art seemingly lost to the next generation, its inspiration spent. He was convinced there were answers within the seemingly random pictures and decorations of the founders – and it would be him that discovered their meaning. He recalled a  phrase which Doren repeated to him over and over that echoed in his mind: “The Immense Design of Things”. Doren warned him not to slip back into it. Fath was convinced Doren had been touched by the gods and was being prophetic, and that the artifacts were the keys to it all. Especially the door.

Fath was a young adult now, strong and determined, but devoted like no other dwarf before him. He was dedicated to the divinity of the gods, and it was this piety that set him apart from the rest of his kin. Everyone respected and communed with the gods as it was their tradition and duty, but Fath was unique in his devotion for he actively preached their virtues in long sermons anywhere he could. He was feverish with bright-eyed conviction and a merciless gaze. Fath began decorating new temples to each god in the south district with precision and care.

He diverted what resources he could, because the king and duchess were expanding the prisons in the eastern district to deal with the many dwarves who violated production orders. The populace had stopped being able to produce all of their demands, so they were thrown into prison and a semblance of martial law had rooted within the city. Fath found that bitterness towards the established authority could be transformed into religious zealotry rather easily. He smiled as his eyes drew imaginary lines across the great door. The lines hummed and throbbed and his vision distorted. He tried to make the lines blur between demon and dwarf with his eyes, between officer and citizen, and in that moment he knew where change resided – and why his ancestors created the artifacts they did.

Thanks again to everyone interested in the fortress. I've gotten some great feedback from all of you. I remember when the artifact door was created and thinking it would interesting if there were still dwarves centuries from now who studied this as a relic and tried to decipher meaning from it, so it's fun exploring this in the story now.

Sbcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [MALFUNCTIONING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 19, 2017, 10:21:24 pm »

I have a feeling you are going to cause a loyalty cascade.
To the beer!

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 20, 2017, 12:16:35 am »

Can I be on the loyalist side please? I'm partial to corrupt governments. If I die, so be it as long as my loyalty is spoken of through the next centuries of Archcrystal's life.

Long Live the King!
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 56