Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 56

Author Topic: Archcrystal: 500 years in a fortress [SPOILERS] Finished  (Read 477351 times)

oldmansutton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Archcrystal: 357 years in a fortress [SPOILERS]
« Reply #345 on: August 11, 2017, 09:23:44 am »

After all, for them the impossible is not.

Actually, past that. To the place where the possible and the impossible meet, to become... the possimpible.
I suggest using kilokittens. As cats are 10X the volume of kittens. That way, 50 cats would be .5 kilokittens.

100 cats would be 1 kilokitten.

DarkExcalibur42

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: August 11, 2017, 04:33:55 pm »

watch, they've gone so far past the impossible that ordinary possible things start becoming impossible instead...

that actually sounds like a normal dwarf fortress ending.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: August 11, 2017, 06:34:02 pm »

watch, they've gone so far past the impossible that ordinary possible things start becoming impossible instead...

that actually sounds like a normal dwarf fortress ending.

Sethatos basically constructed an enormous Infinite Improbability Drive.
In Dwarf Fortress.
Because why the hell not.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

DarkExcalibur42

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: August 11, 2017, 07:29:07 pm »

Sethatos basically constructed an enormous Infinite Improbability Drive.
In Dwarf Fortress.
Because why the hell not.

I recall him saying he needed to build a monument at the center of the spire to all the dwarfs who died in its construction...

Why not a massive sculpture of a heart made entirely of gold?

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: August 12, 2017, 09:51:29 am »

I was going to make a giant monument of green glass in the center somewhere, maybe 10z levels tall or so. I've been camping in the Rockies (north of the smoke thank goodness) so I haven't been able to update. Big update next week though as a lot of stuff has happened :)

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: August 13, 2017, 05:58:18 am »

Totally love what you did, it's awesome and epic. And I especially love your choice of material: clear glass. That glass is worth more than slade now.

Noob questions: I assume the migrants died on the surface? How did you deal with all of their ghosts, do you have a giant graveyard full of slabs somewhere, or is there another trick?

I also wonder what happens if the evil fog reaches your glass tower. Would it spill over the edge and fall down, all the way down to hell? Or does it stay on the same level?

Can't wait to hear the next episode!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 06:00:58 am by Quarque »

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: August 13, 2017, 10:10:14 am »

Totally love what you did, it's awesome and epic. And I especially love your choice of material: clear glass. That glass is worth more than slade now.

Noob questions: I assume the migrants died on the surface? How did you deal with all of their ghosts, do you have a giant graveyard full of slabs somewhere, or is there another trick?

I also wonder what happens if the evil fog reaches your glass tower. Would it spill over the edge and fall down, all the way down to hell? Or does it stay on the same level?

Can't wait to hear the next episode!
Thanks! Still has a ways to go before I'm finished with it so that keeps me going.

For the migrants I've just set the population cap to 30 as the strict cap to 145 so that we only get new citizens by birth.

I've put roofs on each floor of the glass tower above the surface so the clouds just drift over top of it. If I left it open it would go all the way down to hell and be a lot of FUN!

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: August 13, 2017, 04:37:29 pm »

You should totally let it though. I can imagine hordes of demons suffocating on it.
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: August 13, 2017, 05:15:52 pm »

This dust doesn't suffocate anything. Though it does husk at least some demonkind - happened a while ago mid-combat with dust-coated weapons.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: August 13, 2017, 09:33:14 pm »

Oh. Was mistaking it with syndrome rain.

DarkExcalibur42

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: August 15, 2017, 01:19:27 am »

I was going to make a giant monument of green glass in the center somewhere, maybe 10z levels tall or so. I've been camping in the Rockies (north of the smoke thank goodness) so I haven't been able to update. Big update next week though as a lot of stuff has happened :)

I did read that earlier, and think it'll look really cool! but couldn't help making the H2G2 reference, more as a joke than anything else. It'd be like shouting at the RNG gods "Come at me, Kaos! Yeah, I built a fortress in Hell. In DwarfFortress. What're ya gonna do about it, Ronnie?"

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Archcrystal: 374 years in a fortress [SPOILERS]
« Reply #356 on: August 17, 2017, 03:10:29 pm »

King Zan felt he was a people's king, despite his penchant for locking up growing numbers of the general populace for longer periods of time for not meeting his mandates quick enough.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The duchess Etur, and the mayor Ast were a part of his royal court who were convinced of this as well, and on any given day there were 5 or 6 dwarves in jail for various "crimes against production" as they called them. They were seemingly oblivious to Fath's growing cult of religious zealots who worshipped the artifacts of old. Fath would pick one at random on any given week to worship.

Axemosses

The Tepid Bastion

The Depth of Fancying

Flusheddeath the Oracular Targets

King Zan thought that since he worked with the miners they respected him, clearing out the large areas needed for the tree farm and the underground reservoir needed to irrigate it.

It was a difficult engineering project requiring controlled cave-ins of 4 stories of vast spaces that were mined out around the glass tower.

They also had to rebuild a strip mined area below with stone blocks to ensure the collapse didn't extend farther than what they wanted.

It was an enormous undertaking spanning years of effort that was finally ready. The switch was pulled and the cave collapsed.

After the dust cleared, the hatches were opened and water from the six floor reservoir rushed into the artificial cavern flooding in and irrigating the ground.

At last the dwarves of Archcrystal could clear cut a forest that was not beset by horrible clouds up above.

Etur the duchess was also very fond of elaborate traps, so she constructed a magma reservoir above the long glass entrance to the tower for any foolish enough assault the fortress - which still surprisingly happened at least once a year.

And above it the glass tower continued to rise.

Archcrystal was equally close to 4 heavily populated goblin cities and therefore invaded frequently by all of them.

The elves also assaulted Archcrystal once every few years in retribution for destroying the jungle, evil though it was. And always the following year their caravan would arrive wanting to trade as if nothing untoward had happened. When questioned about the raids, their diplomat would always reply that the attacking elves were a rogue off-shoot - "insurgent elves" as he called them, not officially aligned with the Elf Queen Lesana. So when the time came to test the magma trap at the entrance, somehow it coincided with the visit of the elvish caravan.

There screams carried well through the glass walls, but the dwarves insisted they could not hear them. The elvish diplomat looked on with horror as the last elf was pinned up against the locked glass door clawing with futile desperation against it. The outpost liaison looked at the elvish diplomat and shrugged, "Insurgent Magma."

On a sadder note Iton died at the age of 170, the last of the soldiers to invade Hell. Her blade “ShamefulIntense the Heavy Deterioration” passed to Kivish who already showed great skill with it.

Many of the weapons have been passed on now between 2 and even 5 generations. Fath regarded these with reverence as well and he incorporated their legacy into his “Paths to Divinity” sermons which he gave regularly.

But for a moment Fath sat alone in his opulent room designed by craftsdwarves centuries ago with pictures of glory and sacrifice in every known available resource. He would regularly attempt to commune with them but was constantly disappointed. They did not seem to share his efforts for communication. He was like a child in the throws of a tantrum, railing against what he saw was their disrespect towards him for not confirming his own beliefs. In his heart of hearts he knew they listened to him and if there was no response then it was their choice not to answer him which made his blood boil under the surface of his normalized exterior, practiced to appear calm and serene. But to Fath, anything could be rationalized and explained, and he forced himself to believe that he could hear the things that he wanted hear through a desperation and a longing for significance which provoked him to control destiny - or at least attempt to. He had a keen self awareness that the history of the world before him was very brief and that he could shape the story of his world for thousands of generations to come if he could only act with a lasting and permanent conviction. His was an absolute belief punctured with hidden doubts.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: August 17, 2017, 06:37:14 pm »

I can see why Zon would feel he was just. After all, the size of his rooms was closer to common populace to the average royal.

Also, jeez, some of your dwarves are such hoarders. Whose room is it south of king?

- - -

Hm, a bone bin is one of the more useful or useless bone artifacts you can get. Depends on if you use bins.

Flusheddeath has lot of images of things on it. It's just a ring, mooding dwarf. We shouldn't need a microscope.

- - -

With aboveground trees I suspect with more z-levels more saplings can mature. They also require soil walls and sky, so no reason why not leave space.

With underground trees, you could have two tree farms in 4z space instead of one. I wonder which would be better.

Regardless, I fear this tree farm is something you'll regret fps-wise in the coming years. Make plans so that you can obsidianize all that space. Though note that 1/7 water into 1/7 magma obsidianizes, but other way the water evaporates. (higher levels of water seem to not have this problem)

- - -

Nice collapse. Did all that water move in single step?

Hm, I guess not.

Though, 2s and 3s of water...Good for obsidianation later, but where did you drain it, into a minecart pit or fortification?

- - -

Japamala's armok vision makes for beautiful screenshots.

Wait, do you actually do get attacks from multiple goblin sites, marked as such in legends mode?

Oh no, the grown wood items will burn.

Still a kinder fate than being in the weather outside.

- - -

Aw, bye Iton.

In our world, too, there is no longer anybody alive who fought in The Great War.

"They shot Franz Ferdinard" - a sentence from a novel. Death of an author, death of a meaning.
None of us perceive it as it was originally received.

But 170 is far older still than any humans alive.

Mythical artifacts, armies of legend. I find it terrible how the post-worldgen flurry currently stagnates after a few decades.

This is no longer the world the founders knew on embark.
Not only are all the founders dead, all who knew them are dead too.
Expect maybe for elven diplomat?

As for Fath...
Born too late to make an artifact,
there's no longer seven-headed hydras above ground.
No armies of demons trying to ransack
partially-constructed Archcrystal's underground.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 06:39:50 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: August 17, 2017, 10:27:46 pm »

"Insurgent Magma" amused me greatly. ;D

TRUEvector

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: August 22, 2017, 06:29:57 am »

Best DF-story so far! That's how this game was intended to play, IMHO.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 56