Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 56

Author Topic: Archcrystal: 500 years in a fortress [SPOILERS] Finished  (Read 477574 times)

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Archcrystal: 374 years in a fortress [SPOILERS]
« Reply #405 on: November 10, 2017, 10:19:42 am »

Ah, I take it you first build each floor, then build the walls surrounding it?

Reminds me of a candelabra. Larger than some forts. Is the river on the bottom side frozen?

Yep! Floors then wall, repeat. I try and get a roof up on each floor pretty quickly because of the evil clouds. It’s a hot jungle biome so the rivers never freeze, it just hadn’t fully loaded into Armok Vision yet

Jacubus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: November 11, 2017, 10:05:07 am »

PTW

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: November 13, 2017, 09:45:13 pm »

For all of his divine foresight Fath could not escape his own doubts. But there was one in Archcrystal who drew respect no matter what he said: Kivish The Portal of Universes. Kivish would regularly stand guard at each entrance to the glass tower, killing goblins at the surface, gremlins and ogres at the caves, and demons at the entrance to hell. He was literally the portal to each realm of the glass tower and he carried out his duty with a determined will like no other - his glowing emerald eyes brighter than any dwarf of the fortress. So it was that Fath sought him out. He finally pursued guidance from one he could not not hear within his head. Fath sat cross-legged before Kivish at the gate to hell. "Tell me," he said. "I need to hear what will carry us beyond our ancestors - and beyond ourselves."

Kivish closed his emerald eyes and spoke and his voice echoed among the eerie glowing pits, but no one else could hear his words:

There was once a pristine and beautiful garden. Roses were the rulers of this garden and it was they who held the power of life and death. They alone determined which other plants got sunlight and nourishment, and they allowed no interlopers. One day a rose spotted a small weed growing in its shadow among the mud on top of the slade floor. The weed was weak and tired, barely scraping by on the scraps left by the rose, nearly starving to death. The rose looked down and asked, “How dare you attempt to grow in my garden! This is a garden of peace and beauty, and you are not like us. You are a pitiful and pathetic weed, why should I not stamp you out?”

The weed replied, “My Lord Rose, great ruler of the Garden, what threat am I? I am just a simple weed who can cause no harm. How could I ever threaten the balance and beauty of your garden? I wish only to live and see the beauty of the garden. Do I not have a right to live just as the other plants live?”

After much thought the rose asked the other roses in the Garden, “He is but a pitiful weed. Surely we can allow this one little weed to live. He only wants a chance at life.” The other roses thought and held council, and at last they decided the weed could grow in their garden. After all, he wasn’t a bad looking weed, and he was so small and pitiful he could never do any harm. So it was that the weed was allowed to share the sunlight and nourishment, and in time the weed grew.

Taller and stronger, the weed grew, soaking up every bit of nourishment from the soil around him, absorbing the sunlight and gathering in strength. His roots were strong and eventually they intertwined with the roots of the rose. When the rose asked why the weed replied, “I only want to help support you. I love this garden so much I want to help you care for it.” So the rose allowed the weed to help support him. The rose grew sick and weak, and the weed held it up, his roots spreading out to encompass the rose’s own roots.

One day the roses looked upon the weed, who had helped their brother so much, and saw the weed was stronger and mightier than even they, but the weed promised he was only trying to help the garden, and his roots spread to support the other roses, who were beginning to weaken and sicken themselves. Still the weed grew, and other weeds sprung up in the garden as the weed professed they were only there to help. When all the roses were weak and dying and the weeds were the strongest and tallest plants in the garden, the other roses gave up. They were starving to death because the weeds needed all the food and sunlight to support themselves.

The rose who spared the weed’s life looked up from the shadow of the weed where it grew and asked, “Why are you taking all the food from me? I am but a simple rose, do I not have a right to live and grow too? Do I not have a right to live in the garden?”

The weed looked down at the rose and replied, “No.”

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #408 on: November 14, 2017, 10:21:20 am »

Deep.

SuperSumo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: November 14, 2017, 11:11:24 am »

You = the weed in hell
Demons = the roses
Next step = kill all demons in hell?

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: November 14, 2017, 12:45:02 pm »

You = the weed in hell
Demons = the roses
Next step = kill all demons in hell?

Nailed it  ;)

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #411 on: November 15, 2017, 05:21:32 am »

Very belated reply.

It is possible, abet it difficult to get scholars fully working with an upgraded fortress. You need to DFHack in the reactions, and a bit of other magic to make it work (I did it with doomforests). Codex/bookcases and such can also be made to work, but I couldn't get the quicklime reaction to work properly; generating quicklime would cause them to put it in a bag, and then the bag would catch fire and explode. With temperature off, I managed to get exploding parchment. Notably, making codexs worked properly if you simply made from crops.

Dancing/instruments ... well I got the menus to show up. The problem is dance styles are tied to world generation, and at the time, no one knew how where they were in the world structure. As such you could mod in instruments and such, but they'd never get used. Theorically, dance styles can be generated post-world, but I have no idea if that actually works or would get them working.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: November 15, 2017, 11:56:57 am »

Very belated reply.

It is possible, abet it difficult to get scholars fully working with an upgraded fortress. You need to DFHack in the reactions, and a bit of other magic to make it work (I did it with doomforests). Codex/bookcases and such can also be made to work, but I couldn't get the quicklime reaction to work properly; generating quicklime would cause them to put it in a bag, and then the bag would catch fire and explode. With temperature off, I managed to get exploding parchment. Notably, making codexs worked properly if you simply made from crops.

Dancing/instruments ... well I got the menus to show up. The problem is dance styles are tied to world generation, and at the time, no one knew how where they were in the world structure. As such you could mod in instruments and such, but they'd never get used. Theorically, dance styles can be generated post-world, but I have no idea if that actually works or would get them working.

You know if I could just get books and bookcases working for the library so the scholars could write I'd be pretty happy. Do you want to give it a try NCommander?

Here is the latest save:

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13171

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #413 on: November 15, 2017, 12:28:47 pm »

Very belated reply.

You know if I could just get books and bookcases working for the library so the scholars could write I'd be pretty happy. Do you want to give it a try NCommander?

Here is the latest save:

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13171

Do you want to upgrade to 43.05 or stay on 42? 64-bit may/probably will enhance performance.

I'm a turkey. Downloading that monster of a save file. Seeing what I can do with it now.

I can also add new reactions/changes. New nobles/king/whatever, or add the ability for dwarfs to be able to get/use blowguns. Let me see if I can get books and such to work properly though. Do you normally use a texture pack, I have to make some changes to the raw so it might blow things up.

EDIT:

I believe this is the part where you bow down and worship me ;). All the book binding reactions are loading properly, and they're showing up in the management screen. I remember I had to fiddle quite a bit with the crop definitions to actually get to the point I could make parchment though. Also seeing if I can do something about the framerate.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 01:14:36 pm by NCommander »
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Apox

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: November 15, 2017, 01:35:18 pm »

I respect you sir, I can't even properly magma piston but you made a wonder to stand the test of time. Bloody PTW.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #415 on: November 15, 2017, 02:31:52 pm »

So I just finished messing with the raws to test things and discovered that there are none of the paper making plants in Archcrystal. At all. So I decided to see if quicklime worked.

I think I found out why quicklime caused dwarf explosions in Doomforest ...

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: November 15, 2017, 02:40:45 pm »

Wow, I do bow down. Can’t paper be made from pig tails though?

Apox

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: November 15, 2017, 02:51:21 pm »

Aye, that you can. You can make slurries from unprocessed cloth plants with a millstone and then press the slurry into a paper at a Screw Press.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #418 on: November 15, 2017, 02:52:55 pm »

... you're actually correct. I was checking with the parchment plants. The reaction to create them at the quern is there, but I forgot to edit that bit of the raws. My DF is a bit rusty, and I haven't setup a library in my current fort (you have one of those!!!!). Let me hit the raws with a stick and see if that works.

I may also need to edit the World Entity tags to allow books and such so they'll come in caverns and such.

EDIT: After a few tries, I got pig tail slurry working. Was missing some reaction tags on the crops. Turns out if you slurry something, DF has a default "fiber" which it uses which confused the crap out of me. When I tried this with Doomforests, we had flax in excess which is actually simpler for the amount of edits you need to get it to work. The king is trying to assemble a book. There will be a short story on this in an parallel reality version of Archcrystal.

EDIT 2: Where's the library? Found it.

Have a teaser:

You might be able to spot something special in this image
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 04:02:45 pm by NCommander »

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: November 15, 2017, 09:00:07 pm »

The lever or the item on the table?
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 56