Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 56

Author Topic: Archcrystal: 500 years in a fortress [SPOILERS] Finished  (Read 477626 times)

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
Re: Archcrystal: 401 years in a fortress [SPOILERS]
« Reply #465 on: January 06, 2018, 01:46:07 pm »

Holy Mother of Armok's blood and booze stained beard. This deserves a mention on the TVTropes DF Awesome page. Even more when it reaches 420 years. Maybe drop everyone into the magma pool then? ;)
DF Veterans- n. - One who has lost one or more forts due to a stupid oversight.

Morality is relative,/Puppies are cheap,/Dwarves are zealots of,/A place that creeps and leaks,/where oversears send them to die,/so we may feast on their on their sorrow,/as we chew on their marrow
Just never forget,/That Bloodyhells is always a threat.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: January 06, 2018, 02:45:00 pm »

I remember in the old days people tried to get a fortress with 50+ years as moss would grow up everywhere...it is a thing yet, btw?

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: January 06, 2018, 10:44:57 pm »

Holy Mother of Armok's blood and booze stained beard. This deserves a mention on the TVTropes DF Awesome page. Even more when it reaches 420 years. Maybe drop everyone into the magma pool then? ;)

That's crazy talk.

Why would anyone drop everyone into the magma pool at 420? 425 or 500 would be better (for my OCD).
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: January 07, 2018, 05:20:38 am »

I remember in the old days people tried to get a fortress with 50+ years as moss would grow up everywhere...it is a thing yet, btw?
I was ecstatic when i noticed first tile of moss in one of my forts... But it was sooo long ago...
PTW btw :) epic story and fort.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #469 on: January 07, 2018, 07:09:22 am »

I loaded an older save of this and tried it with me tileset. I needed to check a few things in the HFS (smoothed slade walls/floors), and I did make a few screenshots.

Enjoy: 28 high-res shots of Archcrystal. Click in the images for zoom.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: January 07, 2018, 11:26:52 am »

Wow, tileset looks great Meph. The zoomed out shots especially look well integrated and natural.

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: January 11, 2018, 06:57:35 pm »

That's crazy talk.

Why would anyone drop everyone into the magma pool at 420? 425 or 500 would be better (for my OCD).

...4/20 Blaze it joke...
DF Veterans- n. - One who has lost one or more forts due to a stupid oversight.

Morality is relative,/Puppies are cheap,/Dwarves are zealots of,/A place that creeps and leaks,/where oversears send them to die,/so we may feast on their on their sorrow,/as we chew on their marrow
Just never forget,/That Bloodyhells is always a threat.

MaGicBush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: January 11, 2018, 09:08:12 pm »

That's crazy talk.

...4/20 Blaze it joke...

Yea that was easy to pick up, not sure why he didn't lol. Guessing that person doesn't smoke.

This fort is amazingly awesome and I will just say to keep it up and I hope you make it to 450 years!

Metalsoul212

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: January 13, 2018, 09:55:03 pm »

I'm interested in what, if anything, could threaten such an old fort and what kind of challenges it sees. Beside wood degradation is there anything else that could threaten the integrity of the fort? Perhaps there's strong webs of friendships that could actually cause a tantrum spiral in 43. Due to a lethal bar fight?

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: January 14, 2018, 11:38:26 am »

I'm interested in what, if anything, could threaten such an old fort and what kind of challenges it sees. Beside wood degradation is there anything else that could threaten the integrity of the fort? Perhaps there's strong webs of friendships that could actually cause a tantrum spiral in 43. Due to a lethal bar fight?

Well, beyond mistakes with magma and cave-ins and such, there are a few things. I think when I looked in Legends last there is still a web-slinging titan made of metal ore out there. The military could most likely handle it, but with webs you never know.

Also, if say during a battle with goblins one of the main squads gets lured outside in the fighting they could get caught in a cloud of wicked soot and turn on the fortress which would probably be the most devastating as their skills and equipment are incredibly formidable.

I also had one goblin invasion about 20 years ago which was pretty tough. Along the line of 500 goblins and 200 trolls. One of the main squad members fell from exhaustion and a goblin ripped off his helmet and killed him. So if the goblins ever sent say triple that force it would be a tough go for the military. But then I would probably just use magma :)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: January 14, 2018, 11:42:41 am »

Check Legends Viewer. How many goblins are in the nation nearest you? Do they have the population to do that? Bastiongate managed to drive its goblin nation nearly to extinction, and that fort was only 57 years.

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: January 14, 2018, 02:03:38 pm »

I check legends every 15 years or so, and the goblin population doesn't seem to change. There's 4 goblin sites within 2 tiles of Archcrystal and their population seems to hover around 50 for the most part, yet we get sieges of 100 or so once or twice a year. They always send one Recruit as their leader so I'm guessing the game plucks one goblin from the nearest site, makes him their leader, and the rest of the goblins are simply generated from the void. I remember Toady saying this was a fix to goblin sieges somewhere in one of the 42.XX updates but I can't remember which one. I mean we kill approximately 150 goblins a year, for at least 100 years, so that's about 15,000 goblins. If it were really drawing from the population of the Feral Doom they;'d have been long since wiped out.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: January 14, 2018, 04:53:11 pm »

With all this work done, what is your end goal? I mean, you've already beat the game, what do you plan to do after this tower is finished?
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: January 14, 2018, 06:32:04 pm »

Well I have 70 floors of the tower to completely floor which should only take another 5 or 6 years. After that and concurrently I have 3 and a half floors of hell to complete which I figure will take the next 75 years or so. After that I have plans for a caravan tunnel down to the magma sea. After that I want to build a mine cart system along the outside of the tower from hell to the surface with various stops along the way to carry goodsand operate a few fun mechanisms I have in mind. ;D

I figure that will take another 200 years from now and I’ll proba think of more things I want to try in that time so who knows? Breed the megabeasts? Build a museum? Every time I think of something new I want to try in a new fort I figure I might as well just do it with this one. So yeah I’ll just keep going.

Juan117

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: January 15, 2018, 12:55:55 am »

OMG!!!! This fortress is so amazing ,i have always wanted to make a fortress like this,of course there is always a lot of FUN or just little mistakes like mining into damp stone ,but wow i admire your skills ,how did you learned to play like that !!

Btw, i believe this doesnt goes in here but,how do you manage to start a successful fortress ,i never get past the year and i have been trying and sometimes i just quit because i dont stand all those diferrent rocks or just because i dont really find a layout for my industries,most of my fortresses dont get past stone industry ,because i dont know how to set up a efficient and aesthetically pleasing dwarfy layout for my fortress.

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 56