Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 56

Author Topic: Archcrystal: 500 years in a fortress [SPOILERS] Finished  (Read 476013 times)

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
Re: Archcrystal: 410 years in a fortress [SPOILERS]
« Reply #510 on: March 10, 2018, 03:19:09 am »

Pshaw, only one dwarf dead? Go on, increase the invader cap to 10000, I dare you. :P

Bmobmo64

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: March 10, 2018, 05:38:56 am »

Pshaw, only one dwarf dead? Go on, increase the invader cap to 10000, I dare you. :P

That many elves probably won't have much more success with the dwarves, but they'll do a real number on his framerate.

The pun was accidental, but totally intended :P

Hoshiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: March 10, 2018, 06:24:35 am »

Now that we're actually able to openly attack sites, are you planning proper retaliation against the elves ? Maybe raze their capital and demand tribute from the rest ?

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: March 10, 2018, 09:46:45 am »

Yeah it was good timing for this update. Definitely burn a few cities to the ground. Depends on what kind of tribute they offer though. Don’t need more junk.

Ggobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: March 10, 2018, 05:42:19 pm »

Are you throwing all those corpses into a refuse stockpile? quantum stockpile? Atom smasher? Dfhack 'em?

Are you keeping the skulls for totems? Hides for leather?
Just popping in to say that if DF has taught me anything, it's that everything is doomed.

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: March 11, 2018, 11:20:09 am »

Garbage dump then atom smash

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Archcrystal: 267 years in a fortress [SPOILERS]
« Reply #516 on: March 11, 2018, 12:52:13 pm »

Not a boring question at all. I basically just dug out a 3 tile wide tunnel a few z levels below and to the left of an underground lake on the 3rd cavern level. As well as a 6 tile wide tunnel directly above it and channeled the middle 3 tile wide section down into the lower section. Then I had my engravers smooth both passages and carved fortifications at the end of the lower tunnel to let the water drain off the side of the map. I built the gear assemblies first so that I could hang the waterwheels off of them. I had to construct a one tile floor temporarily to build the middle water wheels after the ones next to the gear assemblies were built. Once all of the machines were built, I had them dig ramps up to the edge of the lake and broke through to the water from above. The water wheels can't be destroyed even if a troll say gets into the river because it's on a z level above. The result: 93 water wheels producing 9300 power :)

The only thing I'm worried about is that it's made of wood, and with the fort running so long, some of the wood beds and things are starting to disintegrate from wear. But I only have to worry about the water wheels if I can run the fort for another 250 years or so.

Might want to start worrying
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 03:12:49 pm by auzewasright »
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: March 12, 2018, 11:57:04 am »

I panicked for a minute, but when I checked it doesn't appear the water wheels have any wear. Possible because they are technically not furniture? I'm not sure.

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: March 12, 2018, 01:24:11 pm »

I panicked for a minute, but when I checked it doesn't appear the water wheels have any wear. Possible because they are technically not furniture? I'm not sure.

Neither are wells, so I guess time will tell for the water wheels. Unsurprisingly, there is not much info on wear for these things.

Edit: looking it up, it seems to be quickest when it is above heatdam point or below colddam, where was the deconstructing well?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 01:27:13 pm by auzewasright »

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: March 12, 2018, 03:23:31 pm »

I know. It was the bucket in the well that disintegrated causing the well to deconstruct. There's no such wooden finished goods in the water wheels, just wood logs which don't wear on their own.

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: March 12, 2018, 05:23:34 pm »

I know. It was the bucket in the well that disintegrated causing the well to deconstruct. There's no such wooden finished goods in the water wheels, just wood logs which don't wear on their own.
Ok, then I guess there is most likely nothing to worry about for at least that section.

Reofec

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: March 12, 2018, 07:14:37 pm »

I must say the story of Archcrystal has made me finally settle down and decide to dwarf. I've finally had a fortress last longer then a year! Thank you Sethatos for playing this game so awesomely that I had to try and feel the thunder you are riding.

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: March 12, 2018, 09:32:28 pm »

Hey thanks! I really appreciate when starting players read the story and get inspired to start a fortress of their own. That makes it all worthwhile!

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: March 22, 2018, 08:38:06 pm »

Fath’s mind sloped into recess, imprisoned by thoughts and insights into mind and body. He had sought out the secrets of life and death and was rewarded when the Scaly Clasps retrieved a book from the tower: Victory by Doom. He committed its text to memory and gained the power to live forever along with other abilities he swore he would never use. As so often with certainty and ambition his views began to change. He lamented his desire for control of Archcrystal as the friends and family he knew passed away from old age. He saw a longer picture of time now, one that he wasn’t certain that he could shape. Fath fell into despair within his secret library at the bottom of Hell unsure of his former path to destiny. He had been certain that the fight for Archcrystal would be his primary goal forever, but as forever loomed in his conscious thoughts he began to see it as futile. So he became reclusive in his texts, waiting for inspiration as the world around him plunged onward. He stopped giving sermons and recruiting others to his cause. Given an eternity to complete anything made nothing worthwhile. So he looked inward, trying to make sense of nonsensical desires, and he refused to share this burden with anyone, hiding the book of secrets from anyone else because he judged that the reasons for immortality were crushed by infinite time. And worse, this reasoning seemed adolescent to him, persisted by the thought that anyone in his position had reasoned this as well and reached the same conclusions - what he thought was the purpose of his life became vague and superfluous.
But as with all depressions, the answer was plain to all but him, had he been able to witness himself from only a few years hence.

It was the eleven war of 477 that renewed his convictions, and even now he would say it was an odd recollection. As the battle waged he perched himself above in the glass tower watching the fight and pondering its importance. He was sure the dwarves would be victorious given the tactics and weaponry. His feelings of futility suddenly became trivial in the face of the dwarven warriors fighting for their lives - as well as the elves screaming in terror and crying for their mothers to save them as they were pressed into the dwarven wall of death.

Fath saw the gift that immortality was. He saw the commitment to a longer goal that eludes even those blessed with a long life. He saw the opportunity to plan the plan of forever which very few had the insight to consider. But most of all, he saw the work, and the chance that was afforded him to complete it that very few had. He smiled wryly as he recognized finally what Doren had been trying to teach him: to be an absolute effective ruler by design, he must be the leader who ruled forever, the immense design of things. To die meant to give control and trust. Otherwise, you are the immense design - of someone else.

With renewed purpose, Fath descended to his dwarven family with a reconditioned commitment to guiding them into forever, no matter what that forever meant. His was now a certainty that spanned uncertainty and zeal. And there was nothing more dangerous to the world than this.
Now when he started his sermons he recognized that the believers were not those to be converted forever, but to be used in the here and now, a recognition he longer regretted. To use his fellow dwarves was no longer a meager selfishness, but a realization that they served his lengthened efforts. And it was strengthened by the fact that they could not hold the immensity of design which he now held. Being above them was not a truth he would admit, and it held no attachment to his heritage or birth rite. It was simply a product of his own desires that would fail examination to anyone but him - forged by his ambition that withstood the assaults of eternity and reason. This reason would not last in the face of rational argument, but it did not matter to one who could outlast all of his opponents. It was they, not him, who would slip back into the immense design of things - along with everyone else until he was alone with perfection and, most of all, divinity.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #524 on: March 23, 2018, 08:18:25 am »

Decided to poke my head back into this thread.

Did pestadal's show up with the most recent update? If not, another round of DFHacking can add that. Might as well put the elf skull totems on display :)
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 56