Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 56

Author Topic: Archcrystal: 500 years in a fortress [SPOILERS] Finished  (Read 476324 times)

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Archcrystal: 430 years in a fortress [SPOILERS]
« Reply #645 on: July 28, 2018, 12:58:46 pm »

Well, most of them still say population 100, but when we go invade them there;s only like 3 defenders and they go down rather easily.

Yami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: July 31, 2018, 09:43:53 am »

Ha.  That one merchant was right!  They finished their tower of glass, and now dwarves are spilling out of it.  Woe betide the enemies of ArchCrystals.

~Yami
Is it a bad sign that I purposefully deface masterwork engravings because I understand the importance of the throwing skill?

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: July 31, 2018, 02:55:15 pm »

Ha.  That one merchant was right!  They finished their tower of glass, and now dwarves are spilling out of it.  Woe betide the enemies of ArchCrystals.

~Yami

I know, right? It felt pretty good to have a setup from a year and a half ago finally payoff.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: August 08, 2018, 06:03:03 am »

Ptw, I did not expect this to still be going when I clicked on it!
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Moonstone_Flower

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLIPPED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: August 12, 2018, 04:14:40 pm »

I've been following this story for what feels like two years now, and I love it.  I think Fath's emotions got royally mucked by becoming a thanaturge, grudges can last a very long time.  ^.^;
Grand Master Depressive
Hate Javascript?  Use this for image uploading.
I am a delicate flower!
...of lewdness and lesbianism
Sadly, the head doctor MoonstoneFlower became depressed.  I am not sure if she will be able to recover.

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: August 13, 2018, 02:36:14 pm »

Thanks! I think though that Fath’s emotions have been mucked a little earlier from Asob’s death and especially Doren’s, but necromancy definitely threw him for a loop psychologically.

Trotskisaurus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: August 15, 2018, 01:14:41 pm »

I'm sorry to be so predictable but I just have to say this is fantastic; there are many brilliant Dwarf Fortress stories (i'm a great fan of Roomcarnage) but the way you mix fortress design and a believable, gripping, story, is a work of art.

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: August 15, 2018, 05:53:15 pm »

I'm sorry to be so predictable but I just have to say this is fantastic; there are many brilliant Dwarf Fortress stories (i'm a great fan of Roomcarnage) but the way you mix fortress design and a believable, gripping, story, is a work of art.

Ah, it's not predictable. I've had pm's from some saying I should just stick to the fortress screenshots and not do a narrative. So I always appreciate people who like a good read to go along with the design element, therefore, I thank you very much for your kind words. I will be writing more because of them.

Cyne-Wulf

• Bay Watcher
  • Fenrisúlfr shall consume.
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: August 17, 2018, 06:48:10 am »

Seriously, the narrative is the best part in my opinion. And frankly, if I was just after the fort screenshots, I would just skip the narrative reading. It's not Aerospace Engineering...
My SpaceStory Characters

GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: August 17, 2018, 09:57:52 am »

How come the FPS goes so low even with only 50 dwarves?

One day we'll be able to lower the invaders cap below 80...

p.s. Holy crap there's husk zombie?!??

0_0

Aksej

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: August 17, 2018, 08:26:06 pm »

“Think of it this way, Fath: if you take decimals, there are an infinite amount of numbers between 3 and 4”

Edzul pauses before taking another sip, “But none of them are 5.”
Reading through this whole thread while waiting for a world to gen and I've gotta say…
Thank you so much for getting this right!

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: August 18, 2018, 12:10:31 pm »

How come the FPS goes so low even with only 50 dwarves?
probbably due to 430 years of history, items, dwarven rubbish, and dead crundles
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Sir Willy Man

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: September 11, 2018, 01:54:00 am »

PTW!!! This fort is simply unbelievably awesome!
Dwarfing my dwarfs to death, usually with accidental application of lava.

Has gone berserk !

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: September 13, 2018, 03:08:47 am »

I always wanted to make a spiral tower in a terryfing frozen tundra with a pit surrounding it. Which then later would be replaced by a glass version.

I never explored the forums except for the occasional !SCIENCE! research But decided to do so yesterday and i am now halfway reading this thread and I have to give you my kudos a true masterwork you have!

You surpassed what I thought was possible or more important without slipping into accidental “permanent !FUN!” I thought i achieved pretty much everything but got some new inspiration from this thread and see there are still some architecting techniques  I havent mastered yet.

- However I wonder how you survived this long fort, even updating to newer versions without any bugs/corruption or crashes ?
(Most of my forts have ended due to crashes or bugs in the long run)
I read you started without dfhack but you are running it now in the background ? Or do you keep everything vanilla (except phoebus)

- I am also curious, you did let the first migrant wave in, correct ? And from there you started a pure bloodline ?
I played once with only the 7 starting dwarves and assigned the first migrant wave to a burrow with its own fort to keep the bloodline pure. However i got spammed by job cancellations which resulted in massive fps drop. So I figured that the first migrant wave you have to let in, since the first wave ignores the population cap and you cant separate them either.

- last thing i wonder is how you micromanage that none of your dwarves come in contact with the wicked soot or even some deadly dust from all the FB’s you have encountered.
I read and see that all your dwarves are drafted in to the military to wear armor etc. But how do you deal with clothing replacement, children(not wearing armor), hauling dead or even a moody dwarf that decides to strip naked.
That must cause a threat if they come in contact with the stuff and affect the rest of your dwarves.

Cheers!

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: September 13, 2018, 11:43:28 am »

Thanks for following! Great questions.

- However I wonder how you survived this long fort, even updating to newer versions without any bugs/corruption or crashes ?
(Most of my forts have ended due to crashes or bugs in the long run)
I read you started without dfhack but you are running it now in the background ? Or do you keep everything vanilla (except phoebus)

Surviving this long mostly just takes patience and eventually you can understand the threats that the game throws at you. Forgotten Beast made of Fire? Lead him to your Cave Dragons who are immune to fire. Titan made of glass that webs? Use an animal as bait to lure him to a room surrounded by fortifications with your archers behind them. It took a few failed forts to make sense of the threats, but once you do you can manage them. It also helped that I ran the fortress in the stress free environment that was pre-44.10 for most of it. By the time the stress update and its later version of 44.12 hit, I had enough creature comforts to keep them in line. Plus a very active and deadly Fortress Guard:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I ran DFhack for the first 200 years actually but didn't use it, and then for like the next hundred I tried vanilla plus phoebus. The only crashes I found were with TWBT running so I've always disabled that. Otherwise the game never crashes on me. I do run DFhack now because I need autodump and clean all to keep the fps reasonable.

- I am also curious, you did let the first migrant wave in, correct ? And from there you started a pure bloodline ?
I played once with only the 7 starting dwarves and assigned the first migrant wave to a burrow with its own fort to keep the bloodline pure. However i got spammed by job cancellations which resulted in massive fps drop. So I figured that the first migrant wave you have to let in, since the first wave ignores the population cap and you cant separate them either.

I let the first 3 migrant waves in and from that I got 2 married couples, so I was able to set up pre-honeymoon suites for their kids and then used the same technique when I married them to their cousins. Then just repeated down the generations. The family tree is fun to look at. I'll post it sometime.

- last thing i wonder is how you micromanage that none of your dwarves come in contact with the wicked soot or even some deadly dust from all the FB’s you have encountered.
I read and see that all your dwarves are drafted in to the military to wear armor etc. But how do you deal with clothing replacement, children(not wearing armor), hauling dead or even a moody dwarf that decides to strip naked.
That must cause a threat if they come in contact with the stuff and affect the rest of your dwarves.

Oh it still happens occasionally:

With all of the adults in a military squad they are usually trained enough to put down someone who has become husked. You just find the nearest dwarves and command their squads to attack. Or I use the regular military if they were caught outside. The most annoying is when a dwarven caravan gets caught in a wicked soot cloud because then I have to bury all of them after they get put down.

I make enough clothes for the children, wood cutters, miners etc. so they aren't naked around the stuff. They will mostly clean themselves at the wells, but the weapons will get coated sometimes and stab a goblin causing him to husk. Still the military is more than a match for them.

The only dwarf that has stripped naked is Fath funnily enough.

There's something about dwarven necromancers in fortress mode that gets them stuck in a single job, so his clothes rotted away and all he does is study and write books in his library completely naked covered in his own sweat clutching a large Bandfire Opal. I write him differently for narrative purposes, but since he doesn't need to eat, drink, or sleep, he just makes discoveries over and over, which is fine by me.

For the gas cloud FB's, back in the day, I would just lure them with animal bait to a Fortified room and elite marksdwarves stationed well behind them and they would just shoot them to death with impunity.

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 56