Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 56

Author Topic: Archcrystal: 500 years in a fortress [SPOILERS] Finished  (Read 470051 times)

Carfter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Archcrystal: 470 years in a fortress [SPOILERS]
« Reply #765 on: August 05, 2019, 07:33:42 pm »

If you have any spare Cheese makers, or anything equally worthless, i would very like to have one named "cast"  ;D
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 07:36:02 pm by Carfter »

Krakyziabr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: August 09, 2019, 12:52:42 pm »

It was amazing to read, thank you for your hard work!

nbws_tempest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: August 12, 2019, 10:36:30 pm »

I dug up my old account in order to finally comment.

I found your forum post while reading about the HFZ. I'd recently picked up DF after an absense of about 10 years. It took me almost 2 weeks of using the occasional slack off time at work to get through the whole thing, worth every moment.

Its been an incredible ride, and an awesome story. I'm super impressed with the literal years of work you've put into the posts and the fortress! I'm glad I made it before the final few posts, looking forward to the triumphant end of the story!

I wouldn't want to be presumptuous enough to ask for a mention in one of your migrant's tales, but if you're looking for another backstory, I imagine a young dwarf, born in the backwaters of the safer parts of the dwarven worlds, far from the chaos and war surrounding the great tower. This dwarf grew up with the boredom of peaceful life, but always craved more. One day, an ancient traveler (borrowing from NC), many years past the age of her looks came to his village, another stop on her endless travels over the world. In exchange for food and board, she spun great tales of Archcrystal, the great tower, the home of the slayers of hell. She told stories of Demons vanquished, armies turned to zombies atop the surrounding ares of wild jungle and finally of the great and ancient portal, so revered by the dwarves of ArchCrystal, the greatest bastion against the eternal forces of hell. This dwarf, so enamored by the story, could not forget the tales, not after a week of the traveller moving on, not after the summer had past, not even after winter's last snowflakes had melted away. After dreaming of the fortress, and the great tales he could tell once he'd completed his pilgrimage, he could no longer sit by idly, living the boring life of a simple dwarven farmer. He took up his silver flask, passed down along his family, his best suit of dingo armor  and the iron battleaxe his father had once used to deal the killing blow to a troll in an ambush years past, and set off on his great pilgrimage. The Tower of Hell awaits his arrival

I'm actually kind of bummed that im done with it all now, once you've made the PDF I'll definitely do a re-reading. Maybe if you know a good YouTuber they might be able to do an epic retelling as I've seen some do in the past, be an easy way to share the greatness of the story and have it even more well known :)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 10:47:09 pm by nbws_tempest »

Gabrote42

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: August 29, 2019, 05:02:01 pm »

I have read through this in 3 month intervals since last year. It is an epic story which is made more awesome because it was all done by a player and not just an unusual bug. I love this story so much. Congratulations to the author.
Solitarian codified DWARF. It was inevitable.

Lunardog15

• Bay Watcher
  • I bring hell (aka eternal PUNishment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: September 04, 2019, 12:09:45 pm »

just wanted to say this is amazing
everything is fine
 everything is on fire
I see no difference between these two phrases.
only at modded hell does this make sense

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: September 30, 2019, 04:01:39 pm »

Coming up on an update soon, but in the meantime here is the tangled web of a family tree that highlights 480 years of inbreeding.  :D

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14549

Lunardog15

• Bay Watcher
  • I bring hell (aka eternal PUNishment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: September 30, 2019, 06:39:48 pm »

yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
everything is fine
 everything is on fire
I see no difference between these two phrases.
only at modded hell does this make sense

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: October 01, 2019, 12:13:35 pm »

If I can still chip in with a dwarf, I'd like one named Sam, a spear dwarf!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: October 01, 2019, 04:41:04 pm »

That family...tree seems inappropriate, mountain seems better - could be indeed worked a bit into the narrative of Archcrystal:

The running theme of ancients, founders and former generations being greater and better than current generation, and the current generation allowing migrants and escaping out into the world.

The first generation was fine, completely individual seven dwarves, daring to walk the husking forest surface with no defence from walls or weapons.

The second generation wasn't inbred either, though potentially vulnerable to diseases.

The third generation was the one who had four of starting seven as grandparents. Completely homongous population, and it was either die out or marry a relative.

The fourth, fifth, sixth, etc. to penultimate generation engaged in increasingly Hapsburgian engagements. Lovemaking was no longer a job reserved for four dwarves in fortress and was instead democratized by the masses - even if still relatively rare, the (grand)parents of current generation thought "hold my cousin/niece/nephew!"; does anybody still alive recall a non-incestous marriage ceremony?

And now the current generation broke the mold of their parents and finally accepted migrants, even if often holding themselves to be superior to them. None of the migrants were acquitanced with Archcrystal's unique culture, separated from their origin by centuries of drift.

It'd be a bucketful of cold water if one of them mooded. Perhaps, the pebble, or an earring, that would start the avalanche.

czolus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: October 06, 2019, 05:03:28 pm »

That family...tree seems inappropriate, mountain seems better - could be indeed worked a bit into the narrative of Archcrystal:

"Family braid", given all of the incest?
Sic sum in ignis; sic sum quiritatio

cyberwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: November 17, 2019, 10:52:34 pm »

Congratulations! You basically beat the game!

crupette

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: December 09, 2019, 05:19:43 pm »

Holy shit this is fantastic

UristVanHelsing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: December 13, 2019, 02:35:33 am »

I can't wait for the final update. I started reading this yesterday at 11:30pm, it's now 2:33am and I read the whole thing through. Absolutley amazing. If we're still doing the migrant thing, I'd love to be Ukhin Leadjaw, a migrant who was captured by goblins but managed to escape (and got punched in the jaw a few too many times, hence the name).
You could always spread it around and paint the floor of your house with the blood of your enemies.
You could very well go for a Christmas themed house, all green and red from blood and vomit. Deck the halls with spilled intestines. Fa la la la la, la la la la!

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: December 20, 2019, 04:15:31 pm »

I still am taking migrant names! Just waiting until the Christmas break until I can properly finish the story. (hopefully :))

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: December 20, 2019, 04:32:54 pm »

I still am taking migrant names! Just waiting until the Christmas break until I can properly finish the story. (hopefully :))

I volunteer "Sanctume" as any migrant if I haven't yet.  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 56