Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56]

Author Topic: Archcrystal: 500 years in a fortress [SPOILERS] Finished  (Read 477849 times)

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Archcrystal: 500 years in a fortress [SPOILERS] Finished
« Reply #825 on: September 05, 2023, 03:08:02 pm »

What an ending!
Bittersweet yet powerful!
Only proper way to end such an epic and iconic story was with an Armok encounter!

So meta wise was the scene in the epilogue post-fortress abandonment?
I imagine an empire disappearing over night was that right?

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: September 05, 2023, 04:54:47 pm »

Thank you! I was happy with the finish as it was hard to end.

I had written an ending for it a while ago that I didn't like where the fortress was destroyed so I never posted it. But a friend of mine I was talking to convinced me to have the fortress endure because she said she wanted to run a D&D campaign in the setting far after it was abandoned. So I liked that idea and rolled with it. I thought it would be cool if it was a structure that constantly drew in adventurers even up to the time where the world it takes place in has achieved World War 1 type weapons. So that was the inspiration for the time jump at the end. But maybe its abandoned, maybe it isn't... :D

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: September 05, 2023, 06:43:51 pm »

I'm glad you were able to find some external motivation! That's the best kind of motivation.

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: January 31, 2024, 11:03:21 am »

Necroing to say well done for reaching 500 years and finishing the story! Feels like you didn't get the response you deserved -- nonetheless, it's a worthy capstone to a HoL-enshrined fortress. Reading this was a real blast from the past for me because I was last active in the DF community 10+ years ago. Bravo again, I say!
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56]