Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 56

Author Topic: Archcrystal: 500 years in a fortress [SPOILERS] Finished  (Read 477634 times)

sivistojko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Archcrystal: 260 years in a fortress [SPOILERS]
« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2016, 10:05:16 pm »

I have to make a quick question here about decoration. So what I see you can decorate a single item indefinitely?? I didn't know this? Is this normal? Also, your total wealth is extremely high, is it due to decorating?

Edit: Another question, how did you make your dragons stand in a formation around the trade depot? It's like they are protecting it.

You can decorate an item indefinitely, but you can't decorate it with the same material twice. The only exception is forgotten beast (and Titan) bone, teeth, horn etc. As they are technically different creatures from beast to beast. You just can't decorate an item with the same forgotten beast twice.

The wealth is mostly due to decoration as $500 statues would turn into $30000 statues after years of decorating, not to mention all of the weapons and armour that were adorned too. Also, I'll have to double check, but I think the fort is up near 250 artifacts now.

The Cave Dragons were just in 1X1 pastures. That way they could attack when the saw something, but would get returned afterwards by the trainers.

Ahh, I see, thank you very much for your quick answers. I learned a lot!

knifemind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Archcrystal: 241 years in a fortress [SPOILERS]
« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2016, 12:27:14 am »

You're playing this game at a level I aspire to.

Agreed.  Fantastic.  I look forward to updates.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Archcrystal: 260 years in a fortress [SPOILERS]
« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2016, 06:03:05 am »

PTW. Great fort.

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Archcrystal: 267 years in a fortress [SPOILERS]
« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2016, 03:19:23 pm »

Last time the dwarves of Archcrystal fought off their first goblin invasion. In the seven years since, more goblin armies have come and been quickly crushed. Work continues on the clear glass fort in hell as well as the glass tower rising up from it.

Avuz Girderwhip, the chief engineer of Archcrystal, was beginning to see some of her work take shape. The forges were ready for magma to be brought down and work was nearing completion on the factory floor for the other workshops.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

More bedrooms had been made and magma ducts and aqueducts of glass began to criss cross below in order to take the liquids through the fort when they were ready.

The work was painstakingly tedious to make enough clear glass blocks for everything as it took 100 blocks to make a simple 10 by 10 floor – and that was a month of production time. But at least it was steady. 15,000 clear glass blocks were used so far, and the new glassmakers were getting better at making more. The population was growing and more children were getting old enough to take on meaningful tasks.

The glass tower which was 22 stories now was about to reach the lowest cavern layer and preparations were made to bring magma to one side and water to the other.

Avuz designed glass pumps one floor above to suck the liquids through grates to avoid any creatures getting into either liquid flowing through the inside of the fort. When it was finished it would create a magma fall down one side and a waterfall down the other side of the tower and bring water and magma down into the fortress.

Avuz checked on the constructed underground river to make sure there would be enough power from the waterwheels.

She smiled, there were more things to do.

The population now is 98 with about 3 babies being born every year. We’ve had goblin raids of 16, 25, 75, 55, and 60. All of which were put down very quickly. We are up to 231 artifacts and fort value is over 90 million.

MiguelT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 23, 2016, 01:33:17 am »

PTW. Truly amazing  :D

Foton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 23, 2016, 04:14:51 am »

Are axles made of nether-cap?
Actually, drinking magma is completely harmless.

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 23, 2016, 10:38:31 am »

Are axles made of nether-cap?

Yep! There's fire snakes that pop up from time to time around that level so I didn't want any fires. I'm also going to be pumping magma up and down the whole tower and through hell, so just in case I missed an opening I wanted to be able to recover.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 24, 2016, 08:10:42 am »

I'm so happy I found this thread. I salute your fortress, it's amazing.

Do you still have the original breeding pair of Cave Dragons alive?

SatelliteOfLove

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 24, 2016, 11:11:04 am »

Simply amazing!  Story threads like this give me such pleasure.  Thank you for sharing!

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 24, 2016, 01:49:41 pm »

I'm so happy I found this thread. I salute your fortress, it's amazing.

Do you still have the original breeding pair of Cave Dragons alive?

Thanks! And the original mother cave dragon "Okathel" is still alive, but the original male died in the hell invasion. Okathel is 454 years old now and almost 5,000,000 cm3. The rest of the cave dragons are now over 250 years old.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 25, 2016, 01:53:43 am »

Ah cool. The matriarch must be protected.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 25, 2016, 05:45:10 am »

Sweet jesus. How is that Cave Dragon not wiping out sieges in a single blow?
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

JRHaggs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 25, 2016, 12:03:16 pm »

At 5000000 cubic cm, assuming it's approximately the density of water, it's only (heh) 11000 pounds. That makes it roughly the size of an average-sized African elephant.

Big, but not a nuke.

Awesome either way. Your animal husbandry skills are legendary.

RocheLimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 25, 2016, 01:14:56 pm »

Sweet jesus. How is that Cave Dragon not wiping out sieges in a single blow?
At 5000000 cubic cm, assuming it's approximately the density of water, it's only (heh) 11000 pounds. That makes it roughly the size of an average-sized African elephant.

Big, but not a nuke.

It's too bad dragons and cave dragons take 1000 years to reach full size; no fort I know of has even come close to that age.  Heck, just to get them to a usable size took this fort, the oldest I have run across.

Roofless

• Bay Watcher
  • Never had a glass industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 26, 2016, 02:34:05 am »

Why on Earth would you assume that a dragon's density is approximately the density of water? It's not a snowman wrapped in tissue paper.
It has scales and bones. It's muscle and bone density have to be denser than of a mammal, just to keep up with it's own weight.

Let's assume that 2/3 of a dragon is musle and 1/3 is bone.
Human bone density is 1200-1900 kg/m3 depending on the data source.
If we imagine a dragon bone like a super-awesome human bone (because human bones are already awesome, btw), let's assume it has density of 2000 kg/m3.
Same goes for muscle - if a normal human's muscle is 1060 kg/m3, let's give a dragon 1600 kg/m3.

According to such assumptions, !!SCIENCE!! says this dragon's weight will be ~8666 kg or ~19105 pounds packed in a 5 m3 space.
It's a walking equivalent of a PzKpfw II with breath attack.

So, an awesome dragon you have there Sethatos...
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 02:35:59 am by Roofless »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 56