Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 56

Author Topic: Archcrystal: 500 years in a fortress [SPOILERS] Finished  (Read 476456 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Archcrystal: 284 years in a fortress [SPOILERS]
« Reply #135 on: August 24, 2016, 03:01:34 pm »

Old age's not such a disadvantage after all.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 25, 2016, 07:26:10 am »

"I finished up some work. I am very satisfied." I like to think she is humbly summing up her life.

Kathe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 26, 2016, 02:14:14 pm »

Old age? Her upper body's gone!

SebasMarolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 26, 2016, 02:27:00 pm »

I was thinking the same thing. Then remembered that this fort is on a husk biome, and maybe "old age" is an euphemism

Also when all of my adventurers die, be it beheaded, bloodloss, or jumping from to high a place, if you chech your description after kicking it, it says their upper body is gone. Try checking other things, like weather or time, you get funny results.

Sadly, drowing in magma still yields the "death is cold and clammy" message.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 02:35:59 pm by SebasMarolo »
So uh, yeah you just murdered a until proven otherwise pretty neutral innocent being for no reason.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 26, 2016, 02:34:38 pm »

That's the default display you get when viewing the profiles of dead dwarves (from, say, relationships screen), no matter how they die.

Akoto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 26, 2016, 02:47:17 pm »

This is great! I like the effort you put into telling your story. ;)

I hope that you release a save of the fortress at some point. It'd be a lot of fun to play around with!

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 17, 2016, 11:35:09 am »

PTW
Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress: An expansion mod giving extra realistic options to many un-and-underused materials in game.  [currently out of date, may be revived in the future]

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 19, 2016, 02:01:42 am »

I have a question. How exactly do you transport the clear glass blocks from your furnaces to hell? Do your haul it all by hand, or have you built a railway to hell so to speak, or have you devised some other method of transport.

Pretty cool fortress, all up, very impressive.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 19, 2016, 04:53:47 am »

also, being top down, one can use a dump bridge. don't know what op did, but since there's that nice convenient shaft already...

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 19, 2016, 12:39:49 pm »

I used dwarf power to haul all of the bins down to a few levels above the magma sea originally. After those were used up and the magma forges were built in hell the process is still lengthy because the only source of sand is over 100 z levels up near the surface. So right now they walk the bags up 100 levels to get sand and down 100 levels to make the blocks. It seems long but it operates at about the same pace as I can make pearl ash so speeding it up doesn't make a lot of sense. It makes about 100 blocks every dwarf month.

It also requires no supervision because if you set the magma glass furnaces to "make clear glass blocks repeat" and the next task to "collect sand" they will automatically alternate between the two without job cancellations so you can just leave it running.

I will have an update soon just waiting for 300th anniversary in a couple years. Lots of new things to talk about that way.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 03:13:11 pm by Sethatos »

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 19, 2016, 03:43:57 pm »

Fun little story though first.

As you know the fort is in an evil jungle with periodic wicked soot clouds that roll in and turn living things into horrible killing machines. For this reason we keep everyone burrowed inside, except for when we go tree harvesting which is very rare and I keep a super close eye on things. It still catches the odd caravan with a cloud or one of the pack animals will step on some of the residue that says "pile of wicked soot". I've stopped cleaning up the messes because it's just too time consuming, and I don't want to risk one of the children changing a sock and then stepping into residue while the cleanup is going on.

So anyways a few years back a caravan gets clouded and kills itself, no big deal. A few dwarf months later a craftsdwarf in the fort turns into a wicked soot husk and has to be killed. Weird thing was, he was way down below in the hell fort, there was no way he could have stepped in anything. Sometimes the weapons will get coated in wicked soot, but it's usually no problem as everyone is in a sqaud and wears armor even if they are not on duty, so gauntlets and boots always prevent any contamination. So I chalked it up to a weird random chance. A few days later another dwarf turns into a wicked soot husk inside the fortress in hell. At this point I'm determined to figure out what is happening so I scour every square of the fortress for residue and I can't find anything. I check all their belongings, all the workshops, still nothing. I've had the game paused for hours looking into it and now it is starting to make my brain hurt. They aren't touching any residue, even if they were they are fully clothed, and they aren't coming anywhere near any clouds, so what could be turning them?

Finally, I spot a pattern. Next to where both of them turned, a seed was on the ground not far away. After looking at them, I found them both to be squash seeds. That's weird because we only farm underground, in hell, so squashes shouldn't exist. At this point I start connecting the dots and remembered the last caravan that died. A small pile of food had made it's way into the fort within the burrow before the carrier was killed, so the dwarves in the fort grabbed it and stored it. Squashes. So I look them up in the stocks menu and sure enough there's a coating of wicked soot on them. The soot was getting past the armor because the dwarves were eating it. So next I zoom to where all the squashes are, and my jaw dropped. At least half the dwarves had a squash in their backpack as "provisions" because they were all in squads. They were all ticking time bombs waiting to go off whenever they got hungry. So, eventually to solve the problem I had take them all out of military service to get them to drop their provisions and backpack and then forbid all of the contaminated squashes.

Just goes to show this game still has some tricks up it's sleeve.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 19, 2016, 03:54:37 pm »

A little scary...I guess. Usually, I've seen contaminated food due FBs.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 19, 2016, 04:21:09 pm »

It's not even autumn yet and those pumpkins are wickedly pinning to soot on your parade.

SebasMarolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 19, 2016, 06:08:09 pm »

I hope that makes his way into the story. Maybe the sheriff with the folding chair spots some of the kids about to eat some contaminated food and dramatically stops them or something.
So uh, yeah you just murdered a until proven otherwise pretty neutral innocent being for no reason.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 19, 2016, 09:19:38 pm »

It's a little far-fetched, but what if a dwarf looked down at his meal and noticed it was covered in horrible toxic soot?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 56