Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 56

Author Topic: Archcrystal: 500 years in a fortress [SPOILERS] Finished  (Read 470031 times)

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Archcrystal: 320 years in a fortress [SPOILERS]
« Reply #210 on: January 27, 2017, 09:04:56 am »

I'm surprised none of them were made as a result of a mood. Still, I notice several notable yaks - Budtraded on IndigoSpark, ? bull and Basinprowls the Bold God on the Fur of Love, notable unnamed bull and cow on Knotseared, another on Shakenwind the Ferocious Armor, Mindfultulips on Fedbalanced and another on Shamefulintense the Heavy Deterioration*.

I take it those are the cases where caravan was partially husked, the husked yaks killed caravan members and you sent in squads to kill the husked yaks?

Also, looking at the weapons kill ages, you started using short swords relatively recently. What inspired the change from axe and spear? Desire for variety?

Thanks I fixed the typo. Yeah the only weapon that got mooded early on was an adamantine  mace. It was really expensive but useless. Then they were some bone weapons made by the children but equally useless. I switched to short sword for some variety and because they used less wafers so I could make more of them. Although I still have about 500 wafers that I should really do something with.

Sbcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [MALFUNCTIONING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 29, 2017, 05:33:02 am »

I can't believe you haven't gone insane doing this all. Also, what do you use the old, top portion of the fort for, since you moved all the people down stairs.I am also curious if you ever get husks inside your fort, other than the occasional squash

Also, why the change from 50 only to 150. Was it just you needed a larger work force, or something else.

Also this fort is one of the most well protected forts I've ever seen.Whatever takes this fort down will have to be of epic portions. I am also rooting for a thousand year old Cave Dragon, and just seeing the carnage it can do.
To the beer!

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 29, 2017, 11:51:17 am »

I can't believe you haven't gone insane doing this all. Also, what do you use the old, top portion of the fort for, since you moved all the people down stairs.I am also curious if you ever get husks inside your fort, other than the occasional squash

Also, why the change from 50 only to 150. Was it just you needed a larger work force, or something else.

Also this fort is one of the most well protected forts I've ever seen.Whatever takes this fort down will have to be of epic portions. I am also rooting for a thousand year old Cave Dragon, and just seeing the carnage it can do.

Every time I think about starting a new fortress, I just think, "Man, I'll never get this far again."

The top portion sits empty but they go up for sand because that's where the nearest source is. I keep 2 squads of military dwarves training up beside the trade depot to deal with invasions and megabeasts. Oh and the prison cells are still up there because I haven't started the incarceration wing of the hell fortress yet.

We do get husks making their way into the fortress fairly regularly, wild animals or clouded caravans. The military is more than a match for them though as the husks usually attack eachother first.

I changed the strict cap to 150 because I wanted to start getting invasions and megabeast attacks. I also needed a larger workforce to produce the amount of clear glass I needed to make the tower.

The wrong titan might still be able to take down the fortress with an unlucky syndrome or a metal web spitter. But we've handled those before too so I'm fairly confident we can again.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 29, 2017, 01:19:49 pm »

Every time I think about starting a new fortress, I just think, "Man, I'll never get this far again."
I understand your pain. Bastiongate killed my will to play fortress mode. Why? Because I will never top Bastiongate's achievements. I have a long list of exceptional characters whose names I have memorized from seeing them so often. I killed or captured every forgotten beast in the world. I have a roc eyrie. I GREW TREES IN HELL, for crying out loud. How the fuck am I supposed to top that?

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 29, 2017, 01:44:18 pm »

You could make a tower of brass from Hell to the surface.
Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"

Sbcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [MALFUNCTIONING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 29, 2017, 01:45:33 pm »

Hell, why not bring all of hell to the surface.
To the beer!

kingsableye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 29, 2017, 07:38:13 pm »

mining out every tile from hell to the surface would be a very interesting (and difficult) challenge.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 29, 2017, 08:04:54 pm »

mining out every tile from hell to the surface would be a very interesting (and difficult) challenge.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Thanks mate, nice to know I'm famous.

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 30, 2017, 09:59:13 am »

You should fire it up again Flame. I'm sure you can come up with something else to do in it.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 30, 2017, 11:31:30 am »

The reasons I stopped playing Bastiongate:
 - Bugged armor
 - Merchants bugged off the map, though this could be fixed with the new dismissmerchants command
 - Visitor mutiny loyalty cascade bug
 - I posted the ending already.
No, I think Bastiongate is over. As fun as it was, I just can't see myself going back to it. It will always remain my crowing achievement in dwarf fortress, but every good thing must come to an end.

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 30, 2017, 08:47:46 pm »

Lovin it! To hell and back again, a crystal tower's tale, hehe.

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 02, 2017, 12:36:24 pm »

Posting To Watch. This is excellent.

Crabs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 03, 2017, 01:30:22 am »

Heard about this legend elsewhere and Im glad it's still going.

PTW

(\/) (*o*) (\/)

Mister Crabby the Pincers of Stabbing?

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 03, 2017, 11:11:45 am »

The reasons I stopped playing Bastiongate:
 - I posted the ending already.

Sigged
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 13, 2017, 09:11:52 am »

Really fun read. Inspiring stuff!
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 56