Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 56

Author Topic: Archcrystal: 500 years in a fortress [SPOILERS] Finished  (Read 470070 times)

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Archcrystal: 320 years in a fortress [SPOILERS]
« Reply #240 on: February 24, 2017, 04:05:55 pm »

Just a quick update, I thought I'd show how the tower and fortress in hell are coming along. The glass tower now rises 82 z levels. 49 to go before we break the surface.
I also filled the sides with magma as it goes down through the semi molten rock just for fun.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I thought I'd also show the different levels of the hell fortress.

Top level: I've started the prison wing to the right. And done more work on the zoo.

2nd Level:

3rd level:

4th level:

Bottom level:

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 24, 2017, 05:37:11 pm »

- Hm, dwarven power mining, right. Any plans for those four empty rooms on each z?

-Given the above, kind of surprising tbh that you havethe original slade landscape relatively untouched.

- unexpected location for cave dragons. Are they currently being trained?

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 24, 2017, 05:51:06 pm »

- Hm, dwarven power mining, right. Any plans for those four empty rooms on each z?

-Given the above, kind of surprising tbh that you havethe original slade landscape relatively untouched.

- unexpected location for cave dragons. Are they currently being trained?

Yeah when I made the hole in the semi molten rock with hfs pit command it revealed the slade area beneath it. It was a strange quirk of the command.

I'm leaving the slade landscape as is because I'm going to mold the glass fortress around it's features so that the fortress won't be just a big glass box, but more like something boxy that grew around it. Plus it will save enormously on blocks.

The cave dragons are there temporarily until I build their quarters. They get trained constantly as they will never be fully "tamed".

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 24, 2017, 06:05:58 pm »

Oh I see what you're saying now. The top level in hell is empty naturally, there was no slade there to begin with, hence the top level will be all glass.

The four rooms on each level in the glass tower are burial rooms for each dwarf when they die. The bottommost set of four rooms however will be where we put the beehives when the surface is reached, because theoretically I should be able to farm honey even down in hell if there's no natural wall above it. And I mean it is glass after all ;)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 24, 2017, 08:58:22 pm »

That's way more impressive than my hell bunker. Yours is a massive clear glass citadel whereas mine was a small gneiss bunker, barely housing 20 dwarves.

Sbcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [MALFUNCTIONING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 25, 2017, 12:07:04 am »

Pretty much Seathos beat out the original lord of hell, in making Hell into Paradise. To think of all the Dwarves who died building it, and not being able to see what their sacrifice made. Once you build the tower Sethatos, you should make a memorial for all who died. Maybe build a giant war memorial or something. Just some thoughts since none of this would be possible without 300 year old Cave Dragons and 30 heavily armed construction workers.
To the beer!

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 25, 2017, 12:44:51 am »

Once you build the tower Sethatos, you should make a memorial for all who died. Maybe build a giant war memorial or something. Just some thoughts since none of this would be possible without 300 year old Cave Dragons and 30 heavily armed construction workers.

Make a memorial inside the tower, one that spans several stories. I would suggest using something like green glass, to make it shine and stand out in your clear arch of crystal. So whenever a dwarf looks up, they can remember the dead. Whenever a human, an elf, or a demon looks towards the burning sky, they will know who is the master of the world and quiver.
Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 25, 2017, 08:19:55 am »

Also, don't forget to +1 this in the Hall of Legends, itdeserves its spot there
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 25, 2017, 12:18:52 pm »

Once you build the tower Sethatos, you should make a memorial for all who died. Maybe build a giant war memorial or something. Just some thoughts since none of this would be possible without 300 year old Cave Dragons and 30 heavily armed construction workers.

Make a memorial inside the tower, one that spans several stories. I would suggest using something like green glass, to make it shine and stand out in your clear arch of crystal. So whenever a dwarf looks up, they can remember the dead. Whenever a human, an elf, or a demon looks towards the burning sky, they will know who is the master of the world and quiver.

These are great ideas and I will definitely make something like it. I was originally just going to use each floor as burial chambers so that everyone can see the dead who made what the living enjoy possible., as they walk down from the surface into the fortress.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 25, 2017, 08:49:13 pm »

Idea: after you do this tower to the surface, implement that dwarven AI that was abandoned in 2014.

In hell, of course.  :P
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 26, 2017, 02:12:42 am »

Also, don't forget to +1 this in the Hall of Legends, it deserves its spot there
So done
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 26, 2017, 10:50:30 pm »

These are great ideas and I will definitely make something like it. I was originally just going to use each floor as burial chambers so that everyone can see the dead who made what the living enjoy possible., as they walk down from the surface into the fortress.

I think it's a little unfair to forget about all the Giant Tigers that died for the cause, truly fearless they were. *removes hat*

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 26, 2017, 11:18:52 pm »

I think it's a little unfair to forget about all the Giant Tigers that died for the cause, truly fearless they were. *removes hat*
For honorable service, the tigers will always be known for the greatest thing about them...

They're Grrrrr-reat!
Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"

pol

• Escaped Lunatic
  • unbeingdead isn't beingalive
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 01, 2017, 07:18:56 am »

PTW (so much !FUN!)

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 02, 2017, 01:06:28 pm »

Thanks everyone for your continued interest and the votes in the Hall of Legends!

I've just downloaded the new starter pack, and am running dfhack with the game again. It automatically purged the Dead/Missing list of over 7000 units. After that and a couple of autodumps and a clean all the fps went from 7 to 12. So hopefully things will be moving a bit faster from now on.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 56