Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 56

Author Topic: Archcrystal: 500 years in a fortress [SPOILERS] Finished  (Read 469212 times)

Drako365

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Archcrystal: 374 years in a fortress [SPOILERS]
« Reply #450 on: December 03, 2017, 08:38:34 pm »

Inspirational. I'd PTW if I only knew how (I normally just lurk the forums.)
One thought, once all the construction is done, push the pop cap back down and focus on megabeast breeding. The extra dwarves will die off slowly...

Oh, and since you've got the mother of all towers anyways, how about sacrificing goblins/elves to Armok by dropping them from the top?
I once died chasing a fish off a waterfall.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: December 03, 2017, 10:31:04 pm »

One thought, once all the construction is done, push the pop cap back down and focus on megabeast breeding. The extra dwarves will die off slowly...

Oh, and since you've got the mother of all towers anyways, how about sacrificing goblins/elves to Armok by dropping them from the top?

You've essentially already PTW'd by posting here. PTWing means posting in a thread so you can check for updates using the "Show new replies to your posts" utility.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

salajander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: December 11, 2017, 03:56:32 pm »

This is amazing. Thank you.

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: December 11, 2017, 04:44:36 pm »

Thanks! Glad you're enjoying it.

Also, just for fun, I'm giving this a shot in 44.02 after a successful raid. 8)

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: December 11, 2017, 07:40:08 pm »

Necromancers in a clear glass fort in hell. What's next? Domesticating demons?

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: December 11, 2017, 07:44:30 pm »

Wellllll, he has the demons, the demon corpses, the necromantic abilities, and the tower in Hell itself.

Do it, do it now.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: December 11, 2017, 08:18:03 pm »

Necromancers in a clear glass fort in hell. What's next? Domesticating demons?

Not sure if demons can be domesticated, but if they can, you still need webbed cage traps to catch them (except for those that are webbing) and they'd probably still be hostile to your fort afterwards.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: December 11, 2017, 08:25:51 pm »

You can farm them, but you can't domesticate them. You need to catch a variety with both genders and no sentience in webbed cage traps. Then you can release them in an enclosure, let them breed, and occasionally open a gate and catch/kill a few.

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: December 11, 2017, 09:22:38 pm »

Well there’s hundreds of demon bodies at the front entrance for them to play with.

The only thing I’m worried about is making them drink booze in the tavern so they don’t slow down

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: December 12, 2017, 04:18:32 am »

clicking on "Show new replies to your posts'' is how to PTW.

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: December 24, 2017, 10:12:33 pm »

By the almighty beard of Armok this is amazing!!! Unfortunately my Communist fort is probably never going to be as amazing as the King of HFS' but it's still just. Wow. Truly deserving of the HoL!
DF Veterans- n. - One who has lost one or more forts due to a stupid oversight.

Morality is relative,/Puppies are cheap,/Dwarves are zealots of,/A place that creeps and leaks,/where oversears send them to die,/so we may feast on their on their sorrow,/as we chew on their marrow
Just never forget,/That Bloodyhells is always a threat.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #461 on: January 02, 2018, 08:23:59 pm »

You can farm them, but you can't domesticate them. You need to catch a variety with both genders and no sentience in webbed cage traps. Then you can release them in an enclosure, let them breed, and occasionally open a gate and catch/kill a few.

You could technically domestic them by setting the necessary flags in DFHack ... now I have an urge to build a fortress that can capture the majority of the clown car and war-train demons.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Archcrystal: 401 years in a fortress [SPOILERS]
« Reply #462 on: January 05, 2018, 03:59:23 pm »

A quick update as the fortress passes 400 years with some pictures to show the various states of construction. I’m still running Archcrystal in 43.05 as I’m waiting for a further iteration of 44.XX. I had ran a cloned save in 44 to steal the necromancer books and turned half the fort into Necromancers for fun, but problems with drinking booze and animating dead sieges started to come up so I went back to 43.05.

I’ve run into an amusingly unique problem in Archcrystal:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That’s a well deconstructing. I couldn’t figure out why until I looked at the pieces and found what was missing. After 400 years the bucket disintegrated from wear. Now some of the workshops and such that use wooden materials like barrels are deconstructing. Just an inconvenience, but I thought it was funny when I figured out why it was happening. The spore tree beds have about 20 years or so left on them, and then I’ll have to rebuild all of the bedrooms.

The top layer of hell is all done, just need a few more prisoners to fill the cells.

The second layer below it is half finished, but I need more statues and things to fill it still.

The tree farm needs to be flooded again soon as the mud comes off every time they cut down a tree. I’ve also stopped using the farms as we can get enough by gathering plants in there as well. I’ve also started flooring each level of the glass tower which will all be tombs for the dwarves of Archcrystal all the way down.

The population keeps fairly consistent as dwarves die off new ones are born in the following years as there’s enough married couples to recycle the numbers.

I’m building a secret library for Fath here on the bottom layer of Hell in the middle of that eerie glowing pit. When I update the fortress to 44 I’ll steal the necromancer book again and store it there just for Fath and maybe a few of his disciples to read so he can have a cultish inner circle of Necromancers.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: January 05, 2018, 05:27:24 pm »

Holy shit.... 401 years... You sir are the dorfiest of the dorfs. I salute you

The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: January 05, 2018, 10:23:51 pm »

After 400 years the bucket disintegrated from wear.
Never in the history of Dwarf Fortress has anyone else ever had this problem.

o7
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 56