Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 56

Author Topic: Archcrystal: 500 years in a fortress [SPOILERS] Finished  (Read 477359 times)

DwarfToys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Archcrystal: 421 years in a fortress [SPOILERS]
« Reply #630 on: July 13, 2018, 04:12:26 pm »

Technically any two civilizations at war are economically linked, it just isn't the good kind of linkage...  except in DF.   :P

Datura

• Bay Watcher
  • Klaatu! Barada! Hrmhrmhrm!
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: July 13, 2018, 05:41:06 pm »

I registered just to be able to congratulate you on your amazing achievement!
This kind of stuff makes me want to give DF another try ; I played a loooong time ago and feel "a bit" overwhelmed by all the new content. Might give in to temptation one of these days  :D

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: July 13, 2018, 06:25:24 pm »

Technically any two civilizations at war are economically linked, it just isn't the good kind of linkage...  except in DF.   :P

It's a well-known fact that government spending during war actually boosts the economy a fair bit, so it could indeed be the good kind of linkage.*

Although since dwarf societies in DF are essentially communist and the goblins can't have an economy if they hardly exist anymore, that's probably not the case.

* Not that I'm saying that going to war IRL is good because it helps the economy; it mostly only helps the very wealthy anyway.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

DwarfToys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: July 14, 2018, 03:39:08 am »

It's a well-known fact that government spending during war actually boosts the economy a fair bit, so it could indeed be the good kind of linkage.*

Although since dwarf societies in DF are essentially communist and the goblins can't have an economy if they hardly exist anymore, that's probably not the case.

* Not that I'm saying that going to war IRL is good because it helps the economy; it mostly only helps the very wealthy anyway.

Your DF example of the goblins hardly existing is sort of what I meant.  A long time ago my friends and I were discussing the solution to the massive loss of life / effects of war, although it would require everyone involved to agree on it in the first place.  No country has an army.  The leaders (elected or otherwise) of the countries involved are their army.  The US and North Korea want to fight?  Conditions of a win are drawn up, and Donald Trump and Kim Jong Un have to meet in a fighting ring and the last man standing's country wins whatever argument they were having.  The economy benefits via massive ticket sales to the live event, ringside seats only the incredibly rich can afford, organized betting on the outcome, and general avoidance of anything serious happening.  IRL that's a long way off, but I can dream...   :D

hypertelor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: July 14, 2018, 02:35:43 pm »

PTW, and this is what got me to join this forum!

Urist the Thicc

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: July 20, 2018, 09:41:55 am »

I sometimes get economic linkage messages when goblin settlements pop up nearby, like "The dark pits of Mazemonstrous have been founded a day's travel to the north and look to your thriving economy for prosperity."  I've viewed them as intentionally humorous and menacing, like they want to raid me, rather than as a bug.  Mightn't it just be something that arises naturally from the terror/vengeance trade?  Do peaceful civs that try to trade with you have the same message?  If they do, that means those goblin settlements want to raid you, probs :)

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: July 21, 2018, 09:41:02 am »

I’m currently playing it as though the population in those pits want to be liberated and are wanting to be economically dependent much like a territory, but the leadership of goblins there are suppressing the rebellion of their citizens

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Archcrystal: 430 years in a fortress [SPOILERS]
« Reply #637 on: July 27, 2018, 01:54:12 pm »

It was migrant day at Archcrystal - and they descended down the into the fortress for the first time in over 4 centuries.

Stinthad marched down the immense glass staircase of the tower, marveling at the structure along with the other refugees that she followed. She had heard King Zan's proclamation that the crystal spire was accepting new comers, although briefly, and came to see for herself how the capital had flourished and withstood their infinite enemies. She had listened intently as the messenger to her refugee camp had described the king's "Final Offensive" against all the enemies of the dwarves calling on all who were willing to fight to come to the tower to, at last, strike back against the civilizations of the world who would dare attack the eternal fortress.

The first attacks against the goblins of the Feral Doom came swiftly and conquered the northern pits, catching the enemy off guard and unprepared. The battles were fierce and short with the dwarven attackers being far better equipped and trained thoroughly by skilled commanders within the tower. Most of the defenders surrendered quickly and the rest were publicly executed in front of their former strongholds.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Many of the weapons were running out of spaces for recorded kills.

The dwarven refugee camps of the Dipped Spears suddenly proclaimed their territory of the land which they inhabited with wooden palisades and high guard towers.

They were determined to aid their vertical empire of glass in its inevitable and crushing reach outwards across the land. Finally, the kingdom that had conquered hell extended its barbed roots outwards to bend the weakened claims of the surface into servitude of dwarven order. This new order of industry and design had similar motives to other conquerors, but it attacked with an efficacy that was previously unknown to the residents of the world. Battles and sieges that once took months and years now took days or merely hours.

The siege camps around Archcrystal recalled their armies, such as they were now, for the defense of their own threatened territories. Fear had gripped the world as the dwarven invaders blitzed across the central continent unchecked and undefeated.

These thoughts brightened Stinthad’s descent down the glass tower into hell - a trip that was usually foreboding to newcomers. She could here a faint shouting as she walked down the stairs through the magma sea and past the heroes of old who lay in clear tombs of glass. The shouting became louder and more rhythmic the further she got to the entrance hall. Eventually they were herded to the main temple where the source of the shouting revealed itself.

“All migrants form a line!”

“Combat experience to the left!”

“All others to the right!”

“Children to the center!”

“You will be re-united with your children once they reach combat age!”

Kib the general barked his commands at the huddled mass of new comers.

The ones with fighting experience were given command of their squads as everyone was outfitted with armor and weapons.

Zefon had been busy forging new suits of steel armor non-stop for the last year since the migrants were taken in. They lacked the ornate decoration of the suits of old, but were still embedded with hydra bone and studded with copper to give a fierce look to them.

Weapons were easier to come by. The former king Ushrir Dikeguards has been a master weapon smith who loved spears and bismuth bronze. He had filled his own mandates for these weapons for decades over 150 years ago. Now they were given to the newcomers. Masterpieces, all of them that blazed with the decoration of countless materials. The newcomers who received them stared in awe at their new weapons which gave them a confidence created by the dwarves of Archcrystal down through the centuries. They also finally had a chance to gaze upon the constructions of the glass fortress in hell. The tower was completely floored and the second level was nearing completion.

Petty crimes were way down as well. The guard were no longer delivering beatings non-stop, and the spirits of the dwarves were soaring again. King Zan had successfully appeased the population at last, and the answer was so simple: war. They were united and driven by the promise of conquest. Why he had never thought about it before eluded him. But, on the outside, it looked like a master stroke of tactics. For hundreds of years armies of goblins had broken themselves in an attempt to take the tower, and now their forces were so depleted that they could not withstand the powerful dwarven offensive that was washing over their strongholds.

While the mood among the citizens of Archcrystal was focused and happy, the migrants were scared and separated. Children as young as two were being torn from the arms of their parents and placed into general care rooms. Screaming toddlers were being forced from sobbing mothers. The children watched without comprehension as their parents were forcibly outfitted with weapons and armor and commanded to train far away from them. The scene was a horrific blend of efficiency and raw emotion. Infants had no understanding of the events and the parents had no way of giving them meaningful assurance. The many elaborate toys given to them were also of little distraction as they longed for their mothers.

King Zan consoled himself by thinking it was necessary, but many around him questioned his methods.

“They will realize eventually that it was for the greater good,” he would say.

Fath was one of the first to doubt this. He raised the question with his followers who would respond with downward looks and muted responses. He took upon himself to confront the king and tell him their concerns. He watched closely as another squad of migrants marched out of the front gate resplendent in their shiny new armor. He could see the longing of the parents who looked back one last time to where their children were. He shook his head and retired to his library.

Edzul, the great mathematician of Archcrystal, visited Fath in the Heart-Amory of Oblivion. It was a regular occurrence, one that Fath looked forward to.

They would debate time and consequences for hours, and given Fath’s immortality, each discussion would take on new meaning. However, Edzul was a “once in a generation” mind capable of accurately comparing observations beyond the best scholars of the world.

“Those children will grow to hate us, Fath.”

“I agree with you, Edzul, but the king may be right. I have seen that time is infinite and therefore smoothes over our concerns. In a century they may see his views as correct.”

“Bullshit. Grudges are not forgotten so easily. Even infinite time is constricted by boundaries.”

“Ha! Infinite time would crush every vengeance. You of all people should know this. Given infinite time, everything becomes not only possible but assured. If the chance of you being reborn is 0.000001% then an infinite number of chances to create that makes it a certainty.”

“Time may have borders that we don’t know of, Fath.”

“What borders could exist with infinite time?”

Edzul sipped his plump helmet wine thoughtfully before answering, “You are using mathematics to justify your meaning. It doesn’t work like that, my friend. There are no absolutes even in mathematics. Infinite numbers do not equal infinite possibilities, as much as zero is not a void - zero must still exist for there to be nothing.”

Fath drank his own wine which did nothing for him as a necromancer. He suspected Edzul knew about his secret immortality, but said nothing except, “You still haven’t answered me,” he paused, “about infinity.”

“Think of it this way, Fath: if you take decimals, there are an infinite amount of numbers between 3 and 4”

Edzul pauses before taking another sip, “But none of them are 5.”

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: July 27, 2018, 02:30:51 pm »

This update has come just in the P E R F E C T time to make Archcrystal not just another Hall of legends story, but one of THE BEST hall of legends story that has ever been written!

Sethatos deserves to know Toady and ThreeToe in person...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 03:41:37 pm by GPeter »
Yeah, there's plenty of information out there, but you don't need that information to form an opinion and then defend it to the death.
Hey, don't be like that. Your life never had any meaning in the first place!

Dragonsploof

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: July 27, 2018, 03:38:28 pm »

PTW.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: July 27, 2018, 07:23:45 pm »

...How tf does the general become legendary axedwarf with only dabbling observer? Individual combat drills?

The war commentary is eerie, though.

Does Edzul have dabbling teacher because of an apprentice, or because brief military stint?

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: July 27, 2018, 07:33:19 pm »

Congrats on your Dwarf Fortress Pulitzer Prize.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: July 27, 2018, 07:42:01 pm »

...How tf does the general become legendary axedwarf with only dabbling observer? Individual combat drills?

The war commentary is eerie, though.

Does Edzul have dabbling teacher because of an apprentice, or because brief military stint?

Yeah you nailed it with Kib. Him and most of the pure born of Archcrystal are in squads but with the schedule set to only train one person at a time each month. So there’s no one to teach them while they train therefore the only thing they can do is individual combat training. Keeps most of the dwarves available for regular jobs while also increasing their stats and combat skills.

And yeah Edzul has an apprentice but rarely ever teachers her for some reason.

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: July 27, 2018, 07:46:56 pm »

Congrats on your Dwarf Fortress Pulitzer Prize.

Great, now I want this award. ;)

Seriously though thanks again to everyone who likes the story so far. I wouldn’t keep writing it without all of the comments on here.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: July 28, 2018, 08:30:40 am »

How strong are the nearby civilisations after their 400 year war against you? Have you emptied the dark fortresses?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 56