Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 56

Author Topic: Archcrystal: 500 years in a fortress [SPOILERS] Finished  (Read 469997 times)

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Archcrystal: 440 years in a fortress [SPOILERS]
« Reply #675 on: October 07, 2018, 06:17:55 pm »

I have finally caught up with this thread. It has been a wild journey. I can't wait to find out what the ultimate end of this beautimous place will be.

Thanks! To be honest, I’ve started writing the ending since 500 years seems like a natural end point. Not saying it’s set in stone, but probably nearing its finality. It’ll be a great conclusion though :)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 07:54:51 pm by Sethatos »

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: October 08, 2018, 07:09:55 am »

*programmer in me twitches at the significant number being 500 and not 512*
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: October 09, 2018, 07:53:29 am »

Yeah, there's plenty of information out there, but you don't need that information to form an opinion and then defend it to the death.
Hey, don't be like that. Your life never had any meaning in the first place!

Bimbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: October 09, 2018, 08:29:05 pm »

I'd love to see this go on as long as possible, but I can understand that after so long you want a break. Just have to say though, this is easily the best story to come from Dwarf Fortress.

WalrusIncarnate

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: October 10, 2018, 06:46:01 pm »

PTW, came from the wiki for the cool fortress, stayed for the phenomenally written story. Can't wait to see how it ends!

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: October 12, 2018, 06:22:38 pm »

Thanks to everyone who posted and messaged me. There’s still 60 years worth left so that equals about 6 months real time. Lots can change in that time so the ending is a bit fluid, but man the idea I have for it pretty exciting, at least to me.

And once again thanks to everyone who’s followed and liked the story so far. Please donate to Bay 12, it makes these stories possible.

Garfunkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: October 13, 2018, 03:18:50 pm »

And yeah I heard that demons for Dark Fortresses can show up in a siege in previous versions. I'm wondering if we exhaust all his minions will he be forced to come.
Ooh, I hope that feature still works. It would be amazing to Ezost itself to show up at the gates. Keep up the great work Sethatos!

MinerMan60101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: October 13, 2018, 03:43:54 pm »

Wow, this thing's still going strong!

I have a question, how did you make Fath a Necromancer, and what do you need to do to manage one once they become a Necromancer?
Keas are the Cliff Racers of Dwarf Fortress, both flying nuisances interrupting you whilst playing a game which you wish would become extinct.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: October 13, 2018, 10:30:50 pm »

He raided a tower for books earlier. One of the books contained the words "the secrets of life and death", thus giving any reader of them necromancy.

Necromancers don't age, drink or eat, so with a lone necro like this one has to keep them away from combination of fight+corpses they can reanimate (I guess demons are okay?). They'll also grow slow from alcohol deprivation if there isn't a tavern keeper giving them drinks. Might also want an extra source of happiness in grumpier dwarves due no dining thoughts, period.

Also, once they die one should slab them before they come back as ghost, because they don't forget the secrets when dying.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: October 16, 2018, 12:14:34 pm »

I just got to the bit where the king gets his throat crushed in a bar fight. This is awesome.

*And now I'm caught up to the immense design of things.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 12:08:58 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

andrei901

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: October 21, 2018, 08:52:46 am »

Also, once they die one should slab them before they come back as ghost, because they don't forget the secrets when dying.

Feel like this has a fun story.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #687 on: October 21, 2018, 09:03:58 am »

A ghost necromancer in a dead fortress desperately trying to recreate his prior living conditions by reanimating the corpses of his friends and living in a constant frustration for being unable to, that slowly drives it further into madness.
10/10 best villain

andrei901

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: October 21, 2018, 12:33:55 pm »

That sounds like and adventurer's dream.

Unrelated: Haven't posted yet, but I've read this thread on and off for a while now, and have finally been inspired to do something similar! (along with regular adventuring breaks in the same world)

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: October 21, 2018, 03:27:07 pm »

A ghost necromancer in a dead fortress desperately trying to recreate his prior living conditions by reanimating the corpses of his friends and living in a constant frustration for being unable to, that slowly drives it further into madness.
10/10 best villain

Fath’s ending will be more interesting at least to me  ;)
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 56