Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 56

Author Topic: Archcrystal: 500 years in a fortress [SPOILERS] Finished  (Read 470096 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Archcrystal: 450 years in a fortress [SPOILERS]
« Reply #720 on: February 06, 2019, 04:00:37 pm »

Yeah, that's because dwarves seem on average to actually have really shit stress resistance unless modded otherwise. That can make something as simple as a cup shortage and regular rain make the early year hell if you don't bring or immediately make cups and treat the outside as poison (which not everyone does.) Hell, I had one guy within two weeks of arriving tantrum and attack someone (fatally punching them in the face) because of a cup shortage, rain, and not having enough beds (all of these due to only having one pick and with his and his wife's arival, a whopping 9 people to try and do everything,) cause of how terrible his stress vulnerability stat was. His wife wasn't much better.

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: February 08, 2019, 03:26:03 pm »

That was a lot of death. :)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: February 08, 2019, 04:13:53 pm »

This is probably the only thing i don't like about this thread: the Tileset. Using a tileset means that I always have to guess what those screenshots mean...

But I do really love the story other wise sethatos ;D
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: February 09, 2019, 06:42:19 am »

That tileset isn't too terribly unintuitive.  The dwarves look like dwarves, the goblins look like goblins.  The capital Ts I assume are trollz since they're with the goblins, and the rest of the red stuff is likely carnage.

Bortness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: February 10, 2019, 08:22:35 am »

That tileset isn't too terribly unintuitive.  The dwarves look like dwarves, the goblins look like goblins.  The capital Ts I assume are trollz since they're with the goblins, and the rest of the red stuff is likely carnage.

Precisely.  With all respect I don't understand how some people can't understand.  It's almost like complaining about not understanding an aerial photograph - it's like, the green stuff is grass, the red stuff is gore.  The stuff that looks like body parts is body parts and the things that look like carcasses are carcasses.  You're correct in assuming the Ts are trolls, exactly the same as they would be with no tileset at all.

I feel like sometimes it's more of a purist (pUrist?) thing than anything else, and that the complaint of "not understanding" is just a vehicle for the purism.

Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: February 10, 2019, 10:20:56 am »

Well, this shot was fairly easy to guess, yeah. But try taking a look at his world-map... its cloth nd cabinets all over the place :P
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

janxious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • buy me a coffee
« Reply #726 on: February 12, 2019, 11:33:08 pm »

PTW. This is a really incredible fort and your writing is great. Good luck with the world domination. :)
so many orthoclase blocks

trib

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: March 04, 2019, 03:17:58 pm »

Well, this shot was fairly easy to guess, yeah. But try taking a look at his world-map... its cloth nd cabinets all over the place :P

I think he is using the old, old phoebus tileset that is not updated with XXTatteredXX so the world map tiles are quite wonky. I too used that tileset until just recently so this is like looking at my own fort, but it isn't well adapted to the newer civ menus and such.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: March 18, 2019, 09:43:31 am »

Yeah, It seems my entire point has been rendered moot by the graphics improvement that will come with the steam release... Carry on, Its a great story! ;)

hbmonk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: April 02, 2019, 09:22:26 pm »

awesome fortress and awesome story! just spent all day reading this, haha. i only started playing DF last week, this is pretty inspiring

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: April 03, 2019, 12:15:28 pm »

awesome fortress and awesome story! just spent all day reading this, haha. i only started playing DF last week, this is pretty inspiring

Thanks! I'm actually almost finished putting it all into a PDF along with the next chapter and a bunch of stuff that rewrote. Should be ready sometime next week.

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: April 04, 2019, 02:32:52 pm »

Thanks! I'm actually almost finished putting it all into a PDF along with the next chapter and a bunch of stuff that rewrote. Should be ready sometime next week.

That's fantastic news! Having this story in PDF form would be awesome. :)
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: April 05, 2019, 05:25:14 pm »

Ok here's a PDF of the story so far. I've written some new chapters, and edited most of the others and cropped all of the pictures properly. It took waaaay longer than I thought it would. And sorry in advance for some of the page breaks, I'm still learning how to functionally edit the page formats.

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14325

Carfter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: April 05, 2019, 05:37:19 pm »

Well it looks like i have to read the whole thing again! Thanks for finally releasing the PDF!  :D
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 05:47:23 pm by Carfter »

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: April 06, 2019, 06:51:28 am »

143 pages... You have effectively written a book, Sethatos ;)

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 56