Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56

Author Topic: Archcrystal: 500 years in a fortress [SPOILERS] Finished  (Read 470022 times)

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Archcrystal: 470 years in a fortress [SPOILERS]
« Reply #795 on: January 11, 2021, 08:27:49 pm »

Your response didn't appear GOTOTOTOE

GOTOTOTOE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: January 12, 2021, 04:32:19 am »

Your response didn't appear GOTOTOTOE
wtf

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: January 12, 2021, 10:52:57 am »

no updates in over 2 years. sad
The sheer epic quality of the fort negates the lack of updates.  My imagination assumes some amazing stuff is happening, and that the next update will be glorious.  Either way though, update or not, this fort is an illustration of how to win Dwarf Fortress.
oh there wont be he's mainly encouraging blindirl to beat his record now
theres not many details haha, he just comes into the stream sometimes

Thanks for the information! Can you please elaborate a bit more on it? Where is this happening? Thanks again!

See? You basically quoted what was written before, but didn't put an answer yourself. Your post only shows an empty quotation.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: January 12, 2021, 01:39:14 pm »

This was added - only it's inside the quote instead of outside.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: January 12, 2021, 01:57:20 pm »

Ahh I see, now it makes sense lol Thanks mate! So this blindirl is trying to make a giant 500 year fort too right? Where can I see this? Is there a specific playlist where he is going about doing this?

GOTOTOTOE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: January 12, 2021, 05:26:10 pm »

Ahh I see, now it makes sense lol Thanks mate! So this blindirl is trying to make a giant 500 year fort too right? Where can I see this? Is there a specific playlist where he is going about doing this?
1000 years actually! you can see it here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKoyxw5SAFQ&list=PLcOt9GXNrkghLTHAvQ_dl4Xros6MGNVqG

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: January 12, 2021, 08:00:58 pm »

1000 years actually! you can see it here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKoyxw5SAFQ&list=PLcOt9GXNrkghLTHAvQ_dl4Xros6MGNVqG

That's very interesting! I'm looking it up right now. I think I'll try my hand on a similar project, just for fun lol see how long my computer lasts.

GOTOTOTOE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: January 12, 2021, 09:50:47 pm »

That's very interesting! I'm looking it up right now. I think I'll try my hand on a similar project, just for fun lol see how long my computer lasts.
1000 years is absolutely feasible if you limit your dwarves enough

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: January 23, 2021, 11:29:02 pm »

Just a heads up, I haven’t abandoned it. I had written an ending that upon later reading I realized I didn’t like. I will be finishing it. I’ll give myself a deadline of February 15th.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: January 23, 2021, 11:39:47 pm »

Just a heads up, I haven’t abandoned it. I had written an ending that upon later reading I realized I didn’t like. I will be finishing it. I’ll give myself a deadline of February 15th.
Good to hear.

DarthRubik

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Rubik's Cubes for their colorful pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: January 24, 2021, 02:19:52 pm »

PTW

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
  • The sword cuts with finality when guided by wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: January 30, 2021, 07:40:56 pm »

I would not be surprised if it would be the demons who will end Archcrystal while much of the dwarven military is occupied with fighting off surface invaders and raiding foreign settlements. While the surfacers have to deal with each other and the wicked soot, the demons only have to deal with the defenders' lethal defenses. All it would take is several bombardments on different parts of the wall...

Anyway, I am amazed at your Guiness level achievement avd eagerly awaits its epic conclusion and the completion of three PDF!

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #807 on: February 09, 2021, 08:29:40 am »

I got linked to this from elsewhere and its nice to know its still going with books two years later. Let me know if you need any modded for the finale.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: February 15, 2021, 12:39:10 pm »

((Just finishing up the last chapter before posting the next one.))

Gearg, Imic, Sam and Splint strapped their weapons to their backs and prepared to leave Granitebirds. The four friends enjoyed their military careers in the old Mountain Halls, but were tired of being outranked by the pompous idiots from Archcrystal. So they all decided it was time to become one of those pompous idiots and turn the tables. They knew that migrants were all given brand new equipment and sent out immediately, so they packed light and set off on the four day journey to the capital.

"I hate bars and live music," Livos muttered under his breath in the loud tavern called "The Wild Belly". Every part of dwarven happiness made him uncomfortable and he longed for a good seat in a quiet room. It didn't help that he was actually rather engaging in conversation and could fake interest incredibly well. These traits were poison to someone who preferred to be alone. He was a worshipper of Shin, God of the Moon and Sky which set him further apart from his underground brethren. This was also why he had come to Archcrystal, for they had the only dedicated temple to Shin in the world.
"Excuse me," Livos tapped the shoulder of a nearby patron, "Where is the temple to Shin?"
"What, Shin? That old place?"
Livos nodded, and the dwarf beside him rolled his eyes and simply pointed up. Livos stared up through the glass floors and cursed under his breath, "Of course it is..."

Flame the metalsmith had recently been exiled from his 7th Hillocks in 3 months for what they called "tantrums". They've all gone soft with their "manners" and "civilisation", and "basic dwarven decency to wear pants", he thought to himself. A long beard used to be the only clothing a good dwarf needed. Settlements usually welcomed a master metalsmith with open arms but Flame insisted on only working with his favourite metal: lead. He made everything out of it: lead cups, lead splints, lead buckets. Everyone always whined, "It's too heavy to use a lead cage, I don't feel good when I drink from this cup, etc." Pfft, get stronger then, he thought. He hugged all of his lead creations and packed his wagon again with all of his heavy belongings before heading to the last settlement in The Dipped Spears: the capital of Archcrystal.

The ingredients were as plain as ever. The three looked down at their creation for the duke of Waspwax with disdain and worried glances. It didn't take long for them to be banished by the duke's foul temper. Carfter, Sanctume, and Shimmy sat outside the gates of the city discussing their next move.
"What if we're just really bad at cooking?"
"Yeah if we were good at it, we would be successful by now."
Carfter the Cheesemaker gave them both a scolding look, "Get that nonsense out your heads! We just haven't found the right ingredients yet. Talent has to meet opportunity. And there's only one place we can find it."

She looked around at the glass library and let out a low whistle. She had heard this place described before but the novelty of seeing it for the first time was stunning as a scholar - all these books concentrated and and controlled in one place. No wonder Archcrystal ruled the world, they controlled the access to education and kept it literally out of reach for anyone else. The botanist had little time before she was noticed among the latest wave of new migrants. She reached into her bag and pulled out one of the many Jute Leaf quires and the "Sage of Leaves" began copying.

Cap the weaponsmith barely had time to register what was happening before he was pulled out of line at the latest arrival processing in Archcrystal. Most of his friends were being given weapons and armour and then sent off to war, but he was being lead down a different hallway to the north. Looking the through glass walls he could tell quite easily that they were prison cells, and not a place he wanted to be. A guard was seated and nodded as they approached. Cap and the soldier walked briskly past and the guard followed until they came to a door at the end. "Open it," the soldier commanded. Inside was a large dark cell in the corner of the fortress. Even though the glass was clear, there was very little light coming to the room making it hard to see. He could make out a dwarf crouched in the corner of a bed and a large object covered by a blanket to his right.
Flame the metalsmith looked up from his bed and spoke in an unnaturally high pitched voice, "Did you bring me the Archmage?
The guard rolled his eyes briefly, and gestured, "Yes, yes... he's right here. This is Cap...cap... Captain Archmage. He can help you."
Flame turned his back, and Cap looked incredulously at the soldier who whispered, "You're a mechanic right?"
Cap nodded slowly.
"Good, we need you tell us something."
The soldier stepped forward and pulled the blanket revealing the large metal machine.
"What the hell is he building."

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: February 15, 2021, 06:04:23 pm »

Interesting!
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56