Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange Eating Habits  (Read 2512 times)

slashnul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Strange Eating Habits
« on: February 16, 2016, 04:02:28 pm »

Sometimes I see dwarves walk into my vacant dining hall, pick up a prepared meal stored inside, and walk to a far away library to eat.  Why?  Do they not like to eat the same meal in the same seat twice per season?  Ive noticed some dwarves like the cheapest seat in the house, some like the nicest.  Its probably a preference seat and room values, either high or low.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 04:47:31 pm by slashnul »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Eating Habits
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 02:42:40 pm »

I'm fairly sure dwarves choose the chair where they eat based solely on some distance calculation, not taking into account room values at all.  More specifically, a dwarf who has an assigned chair will eat there; otherwise, they will look for the "nearest" unoccupied unassigned chair, and eat there; or if there is no unoccupied assigned chair left, they will just eat where they stand.

What I'm not sure about: (1) Does the dwarf decide on the chair before or after grabbing the food? (2) Does the distance calculation do any kind of pathfinding at all, or is it just 3-D Pythagorean ("as the miner tunnels") distance?
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

slashnul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 04:43:25 pm »

Hm, interesting.  If Id have to guess it'd be as they get hungry they pick a meal and a seat, then seek them out.  Most dwarves pass thru my dining hall to get food then return to the library.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 03:33:18 pm »

I have had them walk to a chair that is further away path-wise and even chairs that have no table attached. This is when there are clear open seats at the legendary dining room.

They then complain about the lack of tables.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 03:45:23 pm »

It does seem like they choose the chair before going to grab a meal. So the chair choice can seem very illogical considering distance from food, but still be the closest chair that was available when the dwarf took the eat job.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479