Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Questions about 42.xx  (Read 1261 times)

Mathalor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Questions about 42.xx
« on: February 20, 2016, 06:22:20 pm »

I've been looking into playing with the newest version.  I had a few questions.

Taverns:
Will my dwarves still get a drink from a food stockpile and drink it in the dining room, just with an unhappy thought that there was no tavern?  Has anyone had good ideas about defending the fort from visiting vampires/weres?

Temples:
Dwarves will get a happy thought for going, but that's it, right?

Research:
Does nothing, right?

Alcohol Poisoning:
This sounds frightening.  All of my dwarves drink nothing but alcohol most of the time.  So they're all going to die, and there's nothing I can do about it.

No DF Hack:
auto butchering/tanning/weaving will be gone.  Is there anything else that I was probably relying on?

Mathalor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about 42.xx
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 06:25:29 pm »

One more question, not specific to 42.xx, but super annoying.  How do I prevent surface tiles from disappearing when I have tiles dug out underneath them?  Is my only option flooring over them?

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 06:27:39 pm »

You don't have to open your tavern to outsiders.

Dwarves need temples and taverns like they need beds ans booze.

Library is useful for preventing your doctors suffering skill rust.

Alchohol poisoning doesn't affect dwarves like it does goblins and other visitors.

Auto tanning and weaving are vamilla, butchering is hardly micromanaging.

Surface tiles are related to tree-roots, chop them before digging the roots.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 07:18:59 pm »

The 'does nothing' and 'just a happy thought' activites are more important in 42.x. Dwarves will slow down if they don't have their needs met, it's no longer 'happy boost whenever stress gets a bit high' gameplay.

edit -- Regarding DFhack addiction: You might have been relying on Manipulator for setting dwarf labours. Use Dwarf Therapist instead, that should be 42.06 compatible (you may have to copy in the latest memory layouts - check the thread).
Also Workflow which I hear is quite handy when it's not crashing (never used it myself).
Still, Toady's working on workshops, the manager and other stuff right now, so basic stock control options may get introduced in a couple of releases time.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 07:32:12 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Mathalor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 07:45:51 pm »

I don't know what manipulator is.  I was using dwarf therapist, cause captnduck went over it in his videos, and I use soundsense.

I was more interested in things that are enabled by default in the stable version of the starter pack.

I thought happy thoughts were already speeding my dwarves.  Nuts.  I engraved all of my workshop areas and staircase walls for little to nothing, then.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 07:57:32 pm by Mathalor »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 08:19:38 pm »

Taverns:
Will my dwarves still get a drink from a food stockpile and drink it in the dining room, just with an unhappy thought that there was no tavern?  Has anyone had good ideas about defending the fort from visiting vampires/weres?

Dwarves do not need a tavern to drink, nor do they care about being in a tavern when they drink.  Taverns are for socializing, poetry recitals, dancing, etc.  They are not for drinking.  I know, it's weird.  We're humans, so we don't understand.

The only new thing about drinking is that dwarves want to use mugs now.  They still can drink straight out of a barrel like they did in previous versions, but they get slightly sad if they have to do that.

If you make a tavern, don't assign any Tavern Keepers or Performers, because that causes horrible bugs.  Tavern Keepers in 0.42.x are the deadliest things in the fortress.  They can easily take out an entire population.

Temples:
Dwarves will get a happy thought for going, but that's it, right?

They become unfocused if they can't worship.  This affects their ability to work, at least.

Alcohol Poisoning:
This sounds frightening.  All of my dwarves drink nothing but alcohol most of the time.  So they're all going to die, and there's nothing I can do about it.

Just don't assign any Tavern Keepers, and you won't be poisoned.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 08:31:30 pm »

I don't know what manipulator is.  I was using dwarf therapist, cause captnduck went over it in his videos, and I use soundsense.

I was more interested in things that are enabled by default in the stable version of the starter pack.
Things you might miss that tend to be 'standard newbie pack features':
Search filters - vanilla has some, Dfhack has more

Highlights on military screen - When picking squad members, Dfhack highlights the dwarves already in squads in green. Which is pretty convenient.

TWBT - Allows clever graphical things. Like viewing multiple levels at once and setting seperate tilesets for text and graphics (without this a lot of tilesets will make text look weird, coffins instead of '0', etc).

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2016, 04:16:45 am »

- A bleeding edge LNP exists for 0.42.05, but not for 0.42.06. 0.42.06 also contains a masterworks export bug that seems to be rather bad, while 0.42.05 contains an export wealth bug that causes human caravans to fail to show up. If you're relying on DFHack features (like I do) I'd recommend 0.42.05.
.- Alcohol poisoning is provided by a tavern keeper or performer. However, it's said death from alcohol poisoning happens if the dorfs is especially sensitive to disease (and/or possibly some other related weaknesses), so the whole fortress is unlikely to be wiped out. Other races are less alcohol tolerant, though, so their mortality rate is likely to be higher (it's been said goblins have an extra high death rate).
- Taverns are places for socializing which satisfy some needs, including needs to learn new things by becoming better at reciting poetry, etc.
- I've given up on TwbT for the time being because it results in fairly frequent crashing while panning, which isn't worth the slightly nicer graphics for me.