Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Elf necromancers  (Read 2648 times)

n4m3l3ss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Elf necromancers
« on: February 17, 2016, 12:41:18 pm »

Hi,

I've learned the hard way that elven adventurers cannot become necromancers by reading the book  :(. That's bad. I understand that elves and goblins don't actively seek immortality, so they never become necros in world gen. But come on, there's no reason an elf shouldn't be able to gain powers by reading the book.

Suggestion: All sentient adventurers should be able to become necromancers by reading the necromancer book, just like humans and dwarves.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
Re: Elf necromancers
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 02:53:44 pm »

elves need to have [CAN_LEARN] to read the book and become a necromancer.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 09:46:26 pm »

[INTELLIGENT], which they have, includes [CAN_LEARN]
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 04:50:02 pm »

This is already mod-able. Just a matter of removing the [IT_REQUIRES:MORTAL] tag from the interaction secret example, placing it in the raw folder, then setting the number of secrets in advance world gen to 0.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 10:09:36 am »

[INTELLIGENT], which they have, includes [CAN_LEARN]
it was a joke
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 11:20:16 am »

Elves, bah.
If kobolds could become necromancers, THAT would be adorable.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 02:00:48 pm »

Elves, bah.
If kobolds could become necromancers, THAT would be adorable.

They can.  Everything that CAN_LEARN which is also mortal is able to become a necromancer, it is immortal beings that cannot become necromancers (because immortality is a benign for of undeath maybe?).
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 02:02:42 pm by GoblinCookie »

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 07:57:25 pm »

I don't think kobolds have gods to give them slabs.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 10:01:19 pm »

I don't think kobolds have gods to give them slabs.
Don't they ever steal them?

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2016, 10:15:00 pm »

Would that work for necromancer's generation in worldgen?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2016, 10:44:04 pm »

World-gen isn't interested in the requirements for secrets, hence plump helmet men trying, and failing, to become Necromancers (they still get accepted by towers, and can teach necromancy to others, though.)

Elves can't try to become Necromancers because, being immortal, they never become obsessed with extending their lifespans. I suspect that Kobolds not trying is down to their lack of government, and scholars.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2016, 06:05:09 am »

World-gen isn't interested in the requirements for secrets, hence plump helmet men trying, and failing, to become Necromancers (they still get accepted by towers, and can teach necromancy to others, though.)

Elves can't try to become Necromancers because, being immortal, they never become obsessed with extending their lifespans. I suspect that Kobolds not trying is down to their lack of government, and scholars.

Plump helmets do not have government or scholars.  I would gather then that the problem is that kobolds have UTTERANCES which keeps them from communicating with necromancers in order to join them.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 12:02:07 am »

Plump helmets do not have government or scholars.  I would gather then that the problem is that kobolds have UTTERANCES which keeps them from communicating with necromancers in order to join them.
Actually I imagine the only plump helmet men who are trying to become necromancers are ones who have already civilized and therefore do have government and scholars (they can become nobles just fine).

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2016, 08:27:56 am »

Actually I imagine the only plump helmet men who are trying to become necromancers are ones who have already civilized and therefore do have government and scholars (they can become nobles just fine).

The ability to become scholars is quite independent of the necromancer function (unless that was changed?).  Governments are also nothing to do with it, it is historical characters (which tends to overlap with the government/ruling elite where there are governments) that become necromancers according to their desire for immortal life. 

The curious thing is that while kobold's, being mortal would qualify to poll immortal life desires in the event engine, I have yet to see a kobold necromancer even though other subterranean entities, even ones that are merely layer-linked produce plenty of necromancers.  The reason I think is that the necromancy process works in stages like this.

1. Random individual gets desire for immortal life.
2. Individual starts worshipping death-related god.
3. Death-related god bestows a slab upon individual which contains the secret of life and death.
4. Individual builds necromancer tower and writes books transmitting the secret of life and death.
5. Other individuals who seek immortal life read the books becoming necromancers themselves or become necromancers through apprentices.

In order for necromancy to arise in an entity it must have a death god to worship, no death god no necromancy.  Once necromancy has been transmitted to mortals, no further religious interaction is required in order to pass in on.  Due to the atheism kobolds are unable to have death gods hence there is no way for immortality seeking kobolds to get the secrets of life and death.  Since they cannot communicate with other races due to the [UTTERANCES] tag they cannot become necromancers by apprenticeship, which leads the question of whether kobolds can theoretically become necromancers by reading a stolen necromancer book or whether [UTTERANCES] also prevents a creature from reading as well.

fluffymormegil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2016, 09:00:29 am »

I am disappointed that this was not a suggestion for there to be elves who can reanimate your treemurder furniture to kill you.
Pages: [1] 2