Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Elf necromancers  (Read 2649 times)

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
Re: Elf necromancers
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2016, 10:12:03 am »

well, you could make necromancy a major curse. I have not tested this, but I do not think you can get a second generation, unless you add something similar to werebeasts so it can spread
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2016, 08:19:03 am »

well, you could make necromancy a major curse. I have not tested this, but I do not think you can get a second generation, unless you add something similar to werebeasts so it can spread

Normally there are multiple generations of necromancy in the same world.  There is however only one generation per god I think that is the limit. 

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2016, 08:58:03 am »

Normally there are multiple generations of necromancy in the same world.  There is however only one generation per god I think that is the limit.
The term "generation" here is ambiguous.

Each god only gets to generate a given secret once, so one "act of generation" per god.
Necromancy secrets can be taught or recorded, meaning that "later generations" of students can learn them.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2016, 12:00:24 pm »

The term "generation" here is ambiguous.

Each god only gets to generate a given secret once, so one "act of generation" per god.
Necromancy secrets can be taught or recorded, meaning that "later generations" of students can learn them.
whoops wrong necromancy thread, I thought this was the "how to be the first generaton necromancer in adventure mode" thread
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

NonverbalShoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Material name: Leather
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2017, 11:32:12 pm »

Necromancy shouldn't be restricted to the mortal races because becoming a necromancer is about knowing the secrets of life and death. World gen shouldn't be making elven(and goblin) necromancers because there is little reason for an immortal to become one and not because of them being incapable of doing so.
I wonder why I'm not getting any migrants at "Anusrape the Pain of Strangers"

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2017, 01:32:25 pm »

Necromancy shouldn't be restricted to the mortal races because becoming a necromancer is about knowing the secrets of life and death. World gen shouldn't be making elven(and goblin) necromancers because there is little reason for an immortal to become one and not because of them being incapable of doing so.

That assumes that immortals are not already basically necromancers, biologically speaking.  It might simply be impossible for the 'secrets of life and death' to have any effect at all on an immortal beings; kinda like trying to put water into an already full container as it were.  That being so it does not matter whether the elf guy would like to raise zombies or not, he just can't.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2017, 04:26:13 pm »

The issue is that it is kind of silly for a immortal being to go for Necromancy which basically transforms their body into a corpse and they can raise zombies.

Not that I cannot see and Elf or Goblin deciding it is worth it if they are particularly mad and depraved. Yet currently the aspiration that attracts people to Necromancy is eternal life, which no elf or goblin would really have (unless I guess they wanted to make their mortal children/spouse immortal... which Necromancy cannot do)

Meaning that we would need to expand on the aspirations and include things life power or forbidden knowledge.

Yet even then Necromancy must be really low on that scale...

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2017, 06:41:47 am »

The issue is that it is kind of silly for a immortal being to go for Necromancy which basically transforms their body into a corpse and they can raise zombies.

Not that I cannot see and Elf or Goblin deciding it is worth it if they are particularly mad and depraved. Yet currently the aspiration that attracts people to Necromancy is eternal life, which no elf or goblin would really have (unless I guess they wanted to make their mortal children/spouse immortal... which Necromancy cannot do)

Meaning that we would need to expand on the aspirations and include things life power or forbidden knowledge.

Yet even then Necromancy must be really low on that scale...

Necromancy does not even really give you any power, folks that have power seem to sacrifice their power in order to become necromancers, whereupon they spend eternity cooped up in a tower writing books that nobody other than a handful of other necromancers ever reads.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2017, 01:47:42 pm »

Necromancy does not even really give you any power, folks that have power seem to sacrifice their power in order to become necromancers, whereupon they spend eternity cooped up in a tower writing books that nobody other than a handful of other necromancers ever reads.
Until you start a fort... Then they decide "you know what? I'm sick of this tower. Let's kill some dwarves!"
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

n4m3l3ss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2017, 11:45:52 am »

...cooped up in a tower writing books that nobody other than a handful of other necromancers ever reads.
Haha, sounds like the life of a typical scientist. Replace "tower" with "lab" and "books" with "publications". Doesn't give you power, either.

It's kind of sad, actually.
Pages: 1 [2]