Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

It's over, it's really over!

Metal lands vibrant with flowers...
- 0 (0%)
Where do we go now? Where do we gooooooo now?
- 0 (0%)
It's been a looooooooonnnnggggg road...
- 0 (0%)
Roll on, Titanic, Roll; into the mists of time...
- 0 (0%)
Who wants to live forever? Who wants to live forever!?
- 2 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Let's Play The Age of Decadence Part Holiday Spirit: Christmas Special  (Read 45874 times)

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile

(Yes, I know it's small but I'd rather it not be massive and blurry.)
This is a link to the soundtrack. Specifically this is the main menu theme.
Age of Decadence being a post-apocalyptic Roman inspired turn-based RPG made by Iron Tower Studio. http://www.irontowerstudio.com/ 
Game can also be bought in these places.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/230070/ https://www.gog.com/game/the_age_of_decadence
I think this bit from when the game was released a couple months ago does a pretty good job of getting the ideas of the game across "The Age of Decadence is not a game about killing monsters or exploring mystical lands, but rather, surviving amid the greed and brutality of your fellow humans and carving out a name for yourself. Good and bad are purely relative. It’s a world of scheming and backstabbing in which your words and actions have the potential to forge alliances and sow discord, and your path is never certain."

Here are the backgrounds available for those curious. I'll be using the character creation introductions for them. (spoilered because lots of text)
Spoiler: Backgrounds\Classes (click to show/hide)

Time for factions, kids!
Spoiler: Factions (click to show/hide)

Since the images are big I'm not going to post the maps every time, so here is where the maps for the different cities and the world map will be.
Spoiler: Maps (click to show/hide)

Because it can be a bit awkward to add these in, here are the various descriptions for items. Be a bit wary before going in as there are certainly spoilers in there.
Spoiler: Descriptions (click to show/hide)
Table of Contents

In Antediluvian Times... 

General Combat Explanation

Loremaster Options

Marauders and Mercenaries

Edit: I finally hit the character limit so I deleted the old OP.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 06:16:55 pm by A Thing »
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Decadence LP poll
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 06:03:31 am »

I've played the demo and I would enjoy the full game if it were cheaper. That said, 'fight them all' is usually a very BAD choice in this game.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 07:07:20 am »

I remember seeing this game in development, what, five years ago?  If you're going to play, it's well worth playing a grifter.  There are certain story aspects that get unlocked from a grifter's... "unique" perspective.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 06:03:37 pm »

I remember seeing this game in development, what, five years ago?  If you're going to play, it's well worth playing a grifter.  There are certain story aspects that get unlocked from a grifter's... "unique" perspective.

You can also access those same things with high (8-10) streetwise. That being said if we do end up a non-combatant we might as well go with grifter or praetor. Loremasters require a lot of specific building, and I think we can do the lore "storyline" at a later time. And the thief background? They recently added more stealth\stealing options, but from my experience the Forty Thieves as an non-combatant is a exercise in save\load. Merchant background adds very little, so if people want to do the MG we might as well be a grifter. Praetor background is the only way to do House Diminutive's Daratan's Teron chapter storyline fully, so that is a good option too.

Think it's worth mentioning that I have done all of the storylines (including the lore "storyline" but not as a loremaster) at least once. But yeah, in Teron at least fighting is certainly something you should be wary of. Maadoran and Gannazar are a hilarious blood festival once it gets going though.
Wasteland 1 & 2

Nunzillor

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 01:59:10 am »

Looks interesting.  PTW.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 12:46:33 pm »

Gaius The Combat Man shows us the way
Combat Music 1
Since I've got the time and having people vote on backgrounds without knowing what combat is like would be weird, let's start the inevitable combat explanation!
Too big for this post The different stats affect your starting combat and non-combat skill points, we will be mostly getting "generic" skill points from doing things.
Also too big for this post

Meet Gaius. As you can see he has lots of dexterity and perception. Now you might think, "That 10 THC seems awful, why take that? Why take a extra point of dexterity over strength?" Well as you probably don't know (maybe you do, I don't know you) attack and defense are determined by a base stat. Both Sword and Dodge are dexterity thus Gaius has 9 dexterity. That and most of decent armors in this game for dodgers have a 11 AP limit and not a 12 or 10 (the armors that have the 10 AP limit have substantial dodge penalties usually, and the ones with 12 are usually literally made out of cloth).
These can be accessed by hovering over "attack" and "defense" in the character menu. As a side note, you may notice "synergy" and wonder what exactly that means, well this is what it means: if you put points in a weapon skill, your skill in other weapons classes will be increased by a few points IE a high sword skill gives you some extra points in dagger. The amount you get depends on the weapons classes in question; you would get less synergy bonus juice for swords if you put your points in hammers then you would if you put you points in daggers, for instance. I've never needed to use this feature, but it is certainly there.
)
As for perception? Well that 10 THC may seem bad but it adds 10% onto every strike, 40% goes to 50% 60 to 70 etc etc. That and it governs a decent amount of non-combat things as do pretty much every stat in the game.
Now you may notice critical strike, and as you can imagine it raises your chance for an attack to be a critical, it also gives every critical a passive chance to bleed. Now the full things criticals can do I will explain later, but for now just know that critical strike can be one of the most powerful skills in the game.

And you may notice that I put all my non-combat points into alchemy. Alchemy and craft are usually considered to be the combat-man non-combat skills. I prefer alchemy since you can just loot corpses for better armor and weapons, but craft has its uses if you wander deep into ancient ruins. Of course that doesn't explain what alchemy does, so let me do that. Alchemy as it says in the description is all about mixing herbs and minerals to make things all sorts of things ranging from bombs, to liquid fire, to healing salves, (only usable out of combat) to poisons that would make even Al Sahir and Lorenza shed a tear. Due to the very low HP in this game (that 45 is all Gaius is getting, the max you can have and NPCs can have is 60 I think) poison is one of my favorites.

As for my choice of swords? Well they don't do much damage, but they have a stackable bleeding effect. Which combined with poison can be devastating, especially in one on one battles like the Arena.

Dodge I chose because not only is it based on dex, it also has a passive chance to counter-attack after a dodged attack. Dodge and block are different enough that I'll explain the differences. Block only absorbs damage, (besides the passive which deflects both armor\shield damage and normal damage) but it isn't affected by armor as much which means that most block characters (and enemies) are easy to hit but hard to kill. Dodge characters can't wear heavy armor, and thus are hard to hit but easy to kill. (not by a rule, if you get good enough or make your own armor\steal good armor the armor penalties don't really matter.) Dodge is considered better, but really unless we get into stupid fights we shouldn't have to worry about the choice too much.

But none of that really explains combat does it? So let's get to that finally.

Don't question the situation, just know that Gaius is getting things done and is going to show you the ropes by murdering this novice Boatman. This game uses a grid system, it also uses a fairly simple to understand way of telling you where you can move and can't. Light green means you can move there and attack, blue means you can move there, red means you can't or that a enemy is standing there. Simple right? But that isn't what I'm primarily doing this to explain.

No, I'm doing this to explain the main source of variety in combat in this game: the different attack types.
Spoiler: List of attack types (click to show/hide)

That is about all I have to explain. I mean I could try to explain the different tactics to use, but really this is an LP, not a combat guide. I'm playing the game, I do the combat, that is how it is.

That being said all of you can get this bonus image, because while it doesn't have anything to do with combat, it amuses me.

Edit: I forgot to add in inventory stuff. I guess all that attack listing numbed my brain.
These are all just examples of inventory stuff. Think it worth mentioning that all of the different items have descriptions, I just didn't bother to screencap them too.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 01:08:04 pm by A Thing »
Wasteland 1 & 2

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 06:00:52 am »

Everything might be sore throats and headaches for me right now, but that can't stop the poll change! So when this post goes out I should have changed it to backgrounds. If you need more information on them, the descriptions of them are in the OP.

Edit: It appears that the second big update for February has come out. General bugfixes and two new endings it appears, although looking at what they are I doubt we are going to see them.
Spoiler: New endings (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 11:54:38 am by A Thing »
Wasteland 1 & 2

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Decadence LP poll (now voting on background)
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 12:43:34 am »

Since it seems like votes have stabilized and it has been roughly two weeks I'm going to change the vote to choosing what type of loremaster\probably picking which gender (doesn't really change too much) we are going to be on Monday like before. (there is no formal "lore" guild or questline besides the ruins we might get the opportunity to go to in other questlines, which is kinda why I hoped people didn't pick loremaster but I can adapt)

I'll probably edit in the new stuff into this post or the OP.

Edit: Here come the loremasters!
And we are greeted by this. (if we all die, I blame loremasters)

So there are your options. Gender is also another option, which I think affects pretty much nothing besides making one skill check easier as a woman. Also, everyone should probably decide on a name. So, choose! I'm going to leave the poll as it is so post whatever your decision is. I'll be handling cosmetic stuff later, so don't be too concerned with what the options look like now.
Bonus image

Edit: Fixed "Welcome" image to be less massive. Also, everyone appears to be jumping onto the loremaster train to be cool or to make me suffer. (or something) You devious scoundrels! I will make you suffer with many paragraphs of LORE!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 01:01:14 pm by A Thing »
Wasteland 1 & 2

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile

Bump mostly because I forgot that the forum doesn't alert people for edits, that and once it hits the 20th I'm just going to pick these options myself if I don't get any new votes, (that second February update was the last one for a while). That is not to say I won't still make votes for major choices if that happens, but I'm tired of character creation and just wanna get on with it.

Edit: A vision of the coming Thingtocracy (original image was taken from a loading screen for Age of Wonders 3).

Edit-2: If you want to choose a name now is the time, once I wake up tomorrow this is starting. 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 10:08:21 pm by A Thing »
Wasteland 1 & 2

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile

"That kind of thing is common here. Conspiracies and assassinations and naked power-grabs. All the fun of decadence." -Glen Cook, The Black Company

And so both this LP and the season of spring begin.

And with that I'll leave where to go and what to do to you people. We can: kill Cassius, take him to Antidas, or just go and join the Merchants guild or see Antidas about the map.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 10:32:34 pm by A Thing »
Wasteland 1 & 2

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Decadence Let's Play Part 1: Thorns and Trades
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 02:54:16 pm »

From the little that I've played the Demo, I would say "take him to Antidas".
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2016, 04:13:47 pm »

From the little that I've played the Demo, I would say "take him to Antidas".

« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 11:19:42 am by A Thing »
Wasteland 1 & 2

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2016, 12:25:28 am »

Probably going to be a shorter update, mostly because of the amount of choices coming up. Note from Future Thing: I was completely wrong, prepare for Loretrain 2.

So the remaining options from last time are still there, and we can do the Daratan stuff too. I'll leave that up to all of you.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 05:38:51 pm by A Thing »
Wasteland 1 & 2

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Decadence Let's Play Part 2: Lords Lore and Lamentation
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2016, 11:12:17 am »

Wow,

Good job!  I would like to see the Machine quest

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Decadence Let's Play Part 2: Lords Lore and Lamentation
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2016, 12:53:24 pm »

Wow,

Good job!  I would like to see the Machine quest

Wasteland 1 & 2

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5