Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Having a manager worth it?  (Read 2828 times)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Having a manager worth it?
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2016, 05:12:13 pm »

I was just using the manager to order specific alloys for my 7 founders. 
make brass bars, brass door, brass cabinet
make billon bars, billon door, billon cabinet

Unfortunately I cannot specify wood: make paradise (nut wood) bed
or specific stone: make calcite door, etc.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2016, 09:13:10 pm »

Unfortunately I cannot specify wood: make paradise (nut wood) bed
or specific stone: make calcite door, etc.
As with anything else that you're bothered with various factors unique to a workshop (skill-level of assigned worker, physical location of the workshop you want to do the production), don't use Manager-queued jobs for this.

Do without specifying anything that might clash with your exacting requirements, explicitly link to the workshop (in this first case the Carpenters' Workshop) from a specifically-stocked stockpile (again, for the first, the one with only nut wood), then ensure that there's a carpenter (burrow-restricted, if necessary) happy to do the work you manually request.  (You can also just use proximity-priority, but more micromanagement may be needed to keep an eye on what's happening.)  Spam '10s'-worth of jobs (topping up, as necessary), if you want a large order fulfilled.  Or just set to (r)epeat, having ensured that the correct amount of materials are in the supply-stockpile.  (Which is not going to get refilled, to avoid Sorcerer's Apprentice fun in over-multiplied output!)  Once materials have run out, the job self-cancels with a message, and you then check that you actually got what you thought you were asking for.

OTOH, if you've only got one carpentry place, only ever linked to the Nut Wood pile, the Manager (as many batches-of-30, and then the remainder) is actually still useful.

I tend to create workshops in 5x5 rooms, centrally, surrounding them (by 'painting over' the whole 5x5, once the workshop footprint has 'reserved' the middle 3x3) with stockpiles intended for specific input and/or output items, related to that workshop's purpose.  A may have a workshop that will be surrounded with marble (and made of marble, if I'm feeling OCD!) just to make marble items such as fancy rock furniture, another workshop surrounded (and made of) slate for slate blocks (if that's what I've decided I'm building all my external walls of) and a third (crafts) workshop surrounded by 'ubiquitous but unwanted' rocks, for turning into trade-goods (mugs, the full range of crafts, etc).  Obviously I can't use the Manager to make sure that blocks are being made in the slate-mason, whilst coffers/etc are being made in the marble-masons, but I could (if I have no other Craft places) spam 30xMugs in the manager.

I also sometimes have a specific "magmasafe rocks" masonry, either all-those-magmasafe, or for a specific rock that I know to be sufficiently common, to engineer the magmasafe mechanisms and floodgates and whatever, removing all specified magmasafe rocks from any of the other 'general purpose' masonry stockpiles, with all the same links/restrictions, so as not to waste time making random-material items that are of no use to me.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2016, 09:51:57 pm »

I tend to create workshops in 5x5 rooms, centrally, surrounding them (by 'painting over' the whole 5x5, once the workshop footprint has 'reserved' the middle 3x3) with stockpiles intended for specific input and/or output items, related to that workshop's purpose.  A may have a workshop that will be surrounded with marble (and made of marble, if I'm feeling OCD!) just to make marble items such as fancy rock furniture, another workshop surrounded (and made of) slate for slate blocks (if that's what I've decided I'm building all my external walls of) and a third (crafts) workshop surrounded by 'ubiquitous but unwanted' rocks, for turning into trade-goods (mugs, the full range of crafts, etc).  Obviously I can't use the Manager to make sure that blocks are being made in the slate-mason, whilst coffers/etc are being made in the marble-masons, but I could (if I have no other Craft places) spam 30xMugs in the manager.

This is exactly how I arrange the workshops on my "stone level".  The mechanic's shop is also "any non-economic stone", just like the stone crafter.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2016, 11:40:28 pm »

Honestly I just use manager usually for things that I want in semi bulk... but dont want tons of.
Or something that I want to make sure gets made despite job cancellations.

Like ill order 24 beds in manager since its just fast. And I dont really care if and when they get done.
Sooner or later ill be crapping out masterwork ones anyways. Just have to pick and choose for the nice rooms.

Things like that.
Pages: 1 [2]