Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: outdoor well gets deconstructed sometimes  (Read 2847 times)

tiresius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
outdoor well gets deconstructed sometimes
« on: February 19, 2016, 02:05:59 pm »

I've had a fort running for many years and every once in a while I find my outside well gets deconstructed and I have to build it again.  No alerts on anything funny going on.

It is outisde the fort but it is enclosed in a constructed room.  There is an underground channel coming from a stagnant pond with a wall grate.  It seems to get refilled every spring.  Any ideas?
"There are no safe paths in this part of the world.  Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go." - Gandalf in The Hobbit

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: outdoor well gets deconstructed sometimes
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 02:30:10 pm »

Does the water freeze? That may be the cause of the deconstruction.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

tiresius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 03:29:20 pm »

I have seen it blink frozen once when it refills.  Would frozen water under a well deconstruct the well?
"There are no safe paths in this part of the world.  Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go." - Gandalf in The Hobbit

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 03:49:28 pm »

Yes. Since mentioned it being enclosed, I wasn't sure if it was actually freezing.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 04:16:03 pm »

All water which is "Above Ground" will freeze when the outside temp reaches the right point, and yeah, that would deconstruct the well.

You can't remove the "Above Ground" state, building a roof over it will not work. If you want to stop this, you need to put the well somewhere else. (Over an artificial cistern, generally)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 08:11:33 pm »

All water which is "Above Ground" will freeze when the outside temp reaches the right point, and yeah, that would deconstruct the well.

You can't remove the "Above Ground" state, building a roof over it will not work. If you want to stop this, you need to put the well somewhere else. (Over an artificial cistern, generally)
or run magma one level below the water, which will prevent it from freezing. I don't know if this will work for 2 level deep cisterns though, I think it will only keep 1 level thawed.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

bmxbumpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • How did I pass? She beat me like I owed her money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 08:34:27 pm »

Jeez I have been playing DF for AGES now and I have only seen magma a few times, let alone brought it too the surface....

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 08:45:50 pm »

Jeez I have been playing DF for AGES now and I have only seen magma a few times, let alone brought it too the surface....
Depending on settings (and luck), it can be a long way down.  But the engineering behind shifting magma is (whilst a useful skill to know how to do) not always the easiest thing to accomplish.

Probably easier to make your 'outside well' into a 'nearly-outside-well', without this problem.

Instead of (side-view, representational only, does not show whatever method you use to create the well)...
Code: [Select]
___W___    Well-top, ground level
###|###    Rock (rope in shaft)
###|###    Rock (rope in shaft)
~~~u~~~    Water (bucket)
~~~~~~~    Water
Do the follwing:
Code: [Select]
__ ____    Ground level, gap where there's a channelled-ramp down
##\W###    Ramp down from gap, and adjacent to that a well built under natural ground 'ceiling'. (Not rebuilt-over, once dug out!)
###|###
~~~u~~~
~~~~~~~

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2016, 01:55:07 am »

Freezing only deconstructs the well if it is in the tile directly above the water. Just build your well on a platform one z-level higher and it should stop falling apart. (It will still be "unusable" while the water is frozen.)