Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: How is DF not technically doomed?  (Read 48456 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: How is DF not technically doomed?
« Reply #135 on: February 28, 2016, 06:25:20 pm »

If we're using python why not just list.sort()
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 28, 2016, 06:26:43 pm »

bogosort is bigger and better than list.sort(), which IIRC uses timsort. Timsort is, what, O(nlogn)? Bogosort is O(n!), much bigger number!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #137 on: February 28, 2016, 06:29:10 pm »

Hah, I can go bigger than that.
Code: [Select]
def sort(i):
    while True:
        pass
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 28, 2016, 06:31:07 pm »

but then it'll never get sorted

(the same is actually technically true of bogosort, since shuffle relies on a random function that'll probably have a period less than n!)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #139 on: February 28, 2016, 06:38:48 pm »

def sort(i):
    from time import wait
    wait (9999999999)
    return i.sort()
?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 28, 2016, 06:46:04 pm »

that's still O(nlogn), just with a massive constant added to the front (which big-O doesn't care about)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #141 on: February 28, 2016, 06:51:29 pm »

Programming is hard.

Isngrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 29, 2016, 02:14:07 pm »

-snip-
I'm not the most knowledgeable in this department, so have patience with my ignorance, but doesn't a tile-based system allows for Toady to "cheat" more easily than a mesh-based one? Most physical discrepancies in DF are invisible, which is beneficial not merely in terms of immersion, but also in regards to optimization. Surely not having to calculate each object's mesh (even rather primitive ones, per your proposal) frees up a fair amount of processing power for DF?

It also means that terrain and structures can be mesh-based, which is better for simulating their destruction and can have their vertices used as pathing nodes (If a beeline to the target destination is not possible, the AI is definitely going to make a beeline towards a vertex).
Agreed, but I'm not sure that's viable for something with the scale of DF. Look at the FPS-damage done merely by flooding or by smoke. Imagine the processing-strain resulting from simulating all the minuscule bits scattered by a cave-in.
Yep,Fps would get bad fast with the scale of things in DF (especially after breaching hfs),im to tired to go into a bunch of details,so download Unity or UDK,and blender.Then add 100 plus low poly shapes (something with at least couple hundred triangles more then a cube[ A simple capsule shape has 960 traingles]) have them move around,then add your controls and try moving about,.That's not taking into account for fluid physics,terrain destruction,temperature,AI (which needs to be more robust to traverse 3D space then a simple grid as i recall),and all the fun stuff that now happens outside of the Fort.then there is the FPS issue,with 3d graphics low FPS can actually render the game impossible to play,or make the player feel sick,were in 2d graphics it makes the game feel more like a turn based game without making the player queasy
08:43 PM The wild animals and insects sang a merry tune and the trees performed a dance. I know you're trying to cheer me up, Vishnu, but that was actually a bit creepy.-Rhons

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 29, 2016, 03:51:37 pm »

Just popping in to say that if DF has taught me anything, it's that everything is doomed.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 29, 2016, 05:06:25 pm »

Just popping in to say that if DF has taught me anything, it's that everything is doomed.

It was inevitable.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 16, 2016, 12:08:11 pm »

Programming is hard.
import:pythonKnowledge
      if false do find(pythonBooks) then
            if boredom ~= 1 do
                somethingElse
            return "Sort your own damn list!"
            end
      end

Ggobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 04, 2017, 12:45:20 pm »

sigged

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 05, 2017, 02:22:17 am »

I am sure someone has tried to explain this too you, but DF is NOT in continous development as, say, Minecraft would be. there is a finit dev-plan, and anyone who has bothered to take a look at the version number can see that it is ramping towards 1. DF is therefore NOT doomed, neither is it a broken ship that just keeps getting more features. It is, to stick with the metafor, an unfinished ship, that you have kindly been allowed to take out for a testdrive. once its done, it might very well end up being smooth as hell.
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

Kirkegaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 05, 2017, 01:38:36 pm »

It is hardly relevant that there is a plan, it if the game end up not being playable.

And it is clearly in "continous development" and will of course stay so, since Toady like everyone else need an income to survive.

oldmansutton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 05, 2017, 03:38:04 pm »

It is hardly relevant that there is a plan, it if the game end up not being playable.

And it is clearly in "continous development" and will of course stay so, since Toady like everyone else need an income to survive.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't intended to be a game, as much as a fantasy story generator.  From what I remember reading of the initial vision.  And yeah, when Toady finishes development, he's going to be hurting so bad, with only that doctorate in mathematics to fall back on.

If, if, if.... Just enjoy the ride, you're not even required to chip in on the cab fare.  You're looking for a game that is basically v.34.  There's games out there that do that already, that run smoother.  But they're finished games.  This is still a work in progress, and until it's done, you don't know what it will be.  The rest of us are enjoying the ride to see where it ends up.  You can guess and what-if all day long, but until we get there, it's just that... guesses and what-if's.

If ifs and buts were candies and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas.
I suggest using kilokittens. As cats are 10X the volume of kittens. That way, 50 cats would be .5 kilokittens.

100 cats would be 1 kilokitten.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11