Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Von Neumann Terraforming Androids [SG]  (Read 1977 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Von Neumann Terraforming Androids [SG]
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2022, 01:17:43 am »

Shouldn't we find out if there is a magnetic field before we spend a bunch of resources on making one?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2022, 01:26:09 am »

Shouldn't we find out if there is a magnetic field before we spend a bunch of resources on making one?
+1 Check for Magnetic Field.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2022, 09:56:33 pm »

+1 Check for Magnetic Field.
Yes, of course +1. But we can harness the wind at the same time?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2022, 12:42:31 am »

I don't see why we couldn't do one while the other's going on.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2022, 05:15:36 am »

I don't see why we couldn't do one while the other's going on.
Union regulations.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2022, 09:19:08 pm »

It only takes a few simple tests to confirm that the planet does, in fact, possess a magnetic field. Quite a significant one, in fact. With the presence of high volcanism, it's a given the planet must have some form of molten core, which on its own—perhaps combined with the presence of certain heavier elements—generates the field. It's... slightly weaker than expected, though; weaker, but not so far as to severely and adversely affect viability. It's unknown yet whether this is the median reading, or if you're simply experiencing the field during a downward fluctuation point.

Of other importance is the fact that, despite the ash clouds and the greater distance of the planet's primary star, there's still so much wind. The best hypothesis your computers are able to draw so far is the planet's own heat, pushing air currents over your region and likely countless others, depositing ash and silt as they go.

You have time to consider all of this while your fabricators figure out the extremely complex issue of developing a resilient, effective wind turbine generator for these conditions. Making it good enough to withstand such conditions for any length of time is a challenge, although not one you're unused to, seeing as how your own ship is made of materials that've withstood far worse. But over a couple days of solid work, interspersed with general growth of your base, your proof of concept is ready.

A base, a turbine, three blades, cabling, monitoring equipment—all for one installation, dug into the rock in a spot facing the incoming winds. All that work is worth it, though, to see the thing lurch to life, flipping in the air currents, and steadily turning the electromagnets residing within its body.

Unfortunately... after installation, a pair of construction bots performing close monitoring and maintenance work wind up pulled over the cliff during an errant gust, tumbling over rock and CRUNCHING into ashen graves at the mountain base. The conditions are too dire outside to make it safe going to get them; and this is likely to be a constant threat, so long as you must deal with the outdoors.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2022, 12:41:28 am »

Design heavy bottomed drones capable of handling the windy conditions?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 03:20:57 am by Demonic Spoon »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2022, 03:18:59 am »

What about a anchoring system that tethers them to the ground?
Pages: 1 2 [3]