Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78

Author Topic: Arms Race/Design Bureau Hub/General OOC (Got a Discord Channel now)  (Read 104638 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Hero Saga Setup: 97%. Other stuff Paused.
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: Arms Race/Design Bureau Hub/General OOC (Got a Discord Channel now)
« Reply #1140 on: May 21, 2019, 09:40:25 pm »

Thank you Arms Race crew.
Awesome With Autism
Currently listening to: Goldeneye Menu

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: June 09, 2019, 09:13:46 pm »

So let's say that, hypothetically, a longtime salt machine Arms Race player with a crappy sense of humor had been thinking of running an Arms Race of some kind, but didn't know what setting to place an Arms Race in.

Let's say, further, that said hypothetical player was possibly going to stop being lazy and consider actually doing something towards getting such an Arms Race done, and that, just possibly, they were going to ask the AR community what sort of game they'd like to see from said hypothetical wannabe GM.

So, what sort of AR game/genre/mechanics/feel/scenario/setting/factions/technologies would people like to see? I make no guarantees of any kind save that somebody is going to be disappointed with the end result.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: June 09, 2019, 09:16:15 pm »

I'd prefer it be in a setting the salt machine is most familiar with, like a mine or evaporated sea floor.

Really, anything that seems like it's run by a capable "human being" is fine by me, so long as it isn't some weeb animu horseass.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: June 09, 2019, 09:19:11 pm »

I'd prefer it be in a setting the salt machine is most familiar with, like a mine or evaporated sea floor.
This seems to be sound advice. Salt mine Arms Race here we go! :P

Really, anything that seems like it's run by a capable "human being" is fine by me, so long as it isn't some weeb animu horseass.
Define... "capable".

Anyway I should probably mention that I'm not really an anime sort of person. At all.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: June 09, 2019, 09:35:21 pm »

I would class capable as being Able to write stiff, to research historical examples and extrapolate results from them, attract a number of players, and most importantly keep said players from running off for various reasons, such as inactivity on your part, dumbass design decisions, and/or overlooked rules causing salt.

By these criteria, as a GM of about 6 games thusfar, I am only mostly capable.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: June 09, 2019, 09:41:36 pm »

Sorry that was actually a joke :P He didn't seem to be being serious with his comment so I was very much not serious with mine.

I would, of course, be doing my absolute best to run the game and won't actually start it if I feel that I won't be able to complete it. Or, rather, I'll start it if I can delude myself into believing that I'll finish it :P

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: June 14, 2019, 03:03:17 pm »

Been kicking around a game design for the last six months or so, finally got one that I can make worthwhile and I'm ready to start getting feedback on.

I'm introducing some fresh mechanics and trying stay in an interesting-yet-grounded setting I feel I can write well.  I assure you, the rules are mostly just over-explained, and not nearly as intimidating as the word count suggests.  I'll probably back pocket some of this text on release to not spook those new to the genre.  The Wildcard mechanic was written specifically as a lottery to entice new players to the genre.

Basic Setting:
NATO paramilitaries vs. Warsaw Pact paramilitaries in post-nuclear continental Europe.

-Ten years after nuclear exchange in late 1980's
-CIA "Gladio," leading multi-national NATO-aligned forces out of the Pyrenees Mountains
-KGB "Fifth Column," leading multi-national WP-aligned forces out of the Balkan Mountains
-Infantry-based MilSim focus
-Focus on refurbishing 20th Century arms

***FULL THEME/SETTING WRITE-UP PENDING***

Basic Gameplay Loop:

1. GM issues Battle Report (BR) describing the last two months of combat and announces any Special Events or their results.
2. Players immediately begin Armory (Traditional Design/Revision) Phase, where they propose and elect hardware to issue to their forces.
3. Upon identifying a consensus, GM rolls the elected proposal and formally writes up the results for the players, ending Armory Phase.
4. Players immediately begin War College Phase, where they propose and elect MOS to issue to their forces.
5. Upon identifying a consensus, GM rolls the elected proposal and formally writes up the results for the players, ending War College Phase.
6. GM opens Organization Phase by formally identifying any bookkeeping decisions players need to make (such as retiring redundant/obsolete systems and updating wildcard decks.  GM provides a default plan for the players to review.  GM also reminds players this is their last opportunity to claim any GM errors since last Organization Phase if they want any hard corrections.
7. Players say their part in Organization phase, voting on bookkeeping plans and/or claiming any GM errors.
8. Upon identifying a consensus, GM locks in the bookkeeping plan and formally answers any claimed errors, ending Organization Phase.
9. GM opens Strategy Phase, stating what regiments they have available and what their deployments were last turn.  GM also reminds them this is their last chance to contribute for any Special Events before the turn ends.
10. Players discuss and vote for troop deployments, while wrapping up any event issues, ending Strategy Phase.

Force Structure (Order of Battle):
Each side's forces are initially structured as a single independent infantry regiment.  Every six months (three turns) another independent regiment is formed.  As the war drags on, long term attrition and strained logistics will eventually cap the total number of regiments, and ultimately even decrease them.

Troop Echelon List

Regiment, ~1600 men commanded by a General
Battalion, ~500 men commanded by a Colonel
Company, ~160 men commanded by a Captain
Platoon, ~50 men commanded by a Lieutenant
Squad, ~15 men commanded by a Sergeant
Fire Team, 4 men commanded by a Corporal

Troop formations are universally "triangular" in structure.  A regiment consists of a General Officer's command element (his staff and direct attachments), and then three line battalions.  A line battalion consists of a Colonel's command element (his staff and direct attachments), and then three line companies.  A line company consists of a Captain's command element (his staff and direct attachments), and then three line platoons.  A line platoon consists of a Lieutenant's command element (his assistants and direct attachments), and then three line squads.  A line squad consists of a Sergeant's command element (possibly one or two assistants and most squad hardware gets distributed down to a fire team), and then three fire teams.  A fire team consists of a Corporal and then three individual soldiers (any team level hardware is typically distributed/substituted within the team itself.)

Resources (or lack thereof) and Costs:

This Arms Races eschews the traditional terrain-based resources and transport capacity (TC) system.

Based on the assessed difficulty to acquire, train, supply, and repair a hardware system, it is assigned as a possible single attachment to a minimum echelon, ranging from individual (standard issue) up to National (single prototype only) level.  For example, a standard issue rifle could be available to everyone in your army, however a single battalion level artillery gun could only be found within a Battalion Colonel or General Officer's command element.

Of course just because it can be issued, doesn't mean it'll be used in combat.  If the opposing force, battlefield conditions, or general ineffectiveness somehow disfavors a piece of hardware, it may not be a widely-used as its cost would suggest.

In assessing hardware costs, players are to note the setting and theme.  In post-nuclear Europe, it's safe to assume the entire military-industrial complex was at the top of the targeting list.  The power grid was probably second.  The global oil industry made the top five easy.  Few chemicals, including fuels and batteries, have a shelf life beyond five to ten years.  Telecommunications hubs, airports, seaports, and railheads were most likely all hit as well, so international trade is essentially non-existant.  Furthermore, EMP from high altitude nuclear detonations fried most circuits, and it's literally impossible to repair microscopic faults in an integrated circuit.  Surely local tinkerers will arise to fulfill that demand for electricity and petrochemicals, but at what cost and volume?  Safe to say, humanity won't be operating jet turbines any time soon.

On the upside, you'd be surprised how much endured.  While subsistence farming is the new norm in Europe, the salvage, refurbishment, and trade of durable "pre-nuke" goods is a large and lucrative business.  As of late, vehicle alternators converted to bicycle generators are a must-have item for the well-to-do.  If one good thing came out of the nuclear holocaust, nature is now in resurgence throughout Europe, aiding hunter/trappers who rediscovered pre-industrial animal products such as tanned hides, furs, candles, and glue.  Forestry itself is also in high-demand, providing much needed firewood for cooking and warmth.  Of particular note, small arms rounds from as far back as WWI are still surprisingly functional, and niche handloading businesses are eager to refill anyone's brass for the right price. 

Military Occupational Specialties (MOS's) draw from personnel, and thus have their own independent cost calculations (see War College Phase Details).  MOS costs are calculated by assessing acceptable candidates to specialize from general recruiting, and then how arduous the MOS training itself is.  Post-nuclear Europe a hodge-podge of varying ethnic and lingual communities that haven't really had public education, public healthcare, optometry, or even mass media for at least a decade.  If you're expecting all your men to be fully fluent and literate in your lingua fraca, physically fit, better than 20/20 eye-sight, mentally and emotionally sound, non-criminal, idealogically motivated and loyal, courageous yet not reckless, or to simply have the will and intellectual capacity to learn anything they put their mind to... you're in for a disappointment.  Your army takes what recruits it can get, and the vast majority of them won't be astronaut material.  Just like Armory Phase hardware, that MOS is assigned as a possible single attachment to a minimum echelon, ranging from standard issue personnel up to National level.

Again, just because a certain MOS can be trained, doesn't mean he or she will be.  Easy MOS's that lack Armory synergy, would overcrowd tight lower echelons, or are generally irrelevant won't be as prolific as their cost would suggest.

Armory Phase Details:

The Design Phase and Revision Phase are fundamental core of a traditional Arms Race.  This Arms Race combines those two traditional phases into the Armory Phase.

For those new to the Arms Race genre, players post and debate military hardware proposals, ultimately voting to elect a single proposal that phase.  The GM then rolls dice against the elected proposal.  Taking into account the dice roll and the difficulty of the proposal (see Dice Rolls), the GM then writes up the resulting hardware, ending the Armory Phase.

Acceptable military hardware includes, but is not limited to: weapons, munitions, vehicles, clothing, commo/signal equipment, medical supplies, utility gear, and engineering obstacles.  Civilian "infrastructure" proposals are expressly forbidden for both roleplay and game mechanics reasons.  Forbidden infrastructure includes, but is not limited to: factories, refineries, universities, labs, or farms.

In writing Armory hardware proposals, players are strongly reminded to keep in mind the limitations of the setting.  Rather than a formal nation-state, you are a paramilitary survivalist group that "collects taxes" from communities they "serve and protect."  Rather than inventing from scratch, your armorers primarily refurbish and improve salvaged pre-nuke hardware and civilian goods.  Why re-invent the wheel when you can yank one off an abandoned car in a bombed out parking garage?  Your armorers also exist in a world largely without aerospace, shipyards, petrochemicals (especially fuels), or heavy industry in general.  Electricity is a luxury and any functioning electronics probably had to be rebuilt with non-faulty solid-state components.  Salvageable vehicles aren't uncommon, but the fuel to operate them is.  Therefore, warfare is a gritty infantry-centric affair and Armory hardware should be designed with that in mind.

Speaking of infantry, by default all your recruits are generalists, and you also start with a basic combat rifleman MOS.  Barring further War College actions, that means that any non-frontline infantry hardware is going to get handled by generalists.  Generalists are adequate and describe any trained operators mentioned in your Armory rolls, but if you want better effects in the Battle Report, players should aim for hardware and MOS synergy when possible.  Also, due to fierce political rivalry, the Armory and the War College do not collaborate whatsoever.  This means that their tech advancements are independent as well.  For example, if the War College had already rolled an aviator MOS (bad idea), and the Armory had just elected their first aircraft design (terrible idea), the aviator MOS has NO SIGNIFICANT EFFECT on judging the difficulty modifier for the aircraft design.  (Game mechanics-wise, this prevents a sort of "chicken or egg" question in trying to synchronize two independent elections, as well as trying to debate which should be elected first.)

Two additional game mechanics should also be noted when writing Armory hardware proposals: Wildcards and Logistics Channels.  Easier hardware proposals are great for triggering Wildcard draws and are required to stock the Wildcard Deck (see Wildcard Rules).  Logistics Channels are a cap on the number of active Armory hardware systems.  Roleplay-wise, there are only so many specific hardware systems an army can acquire, train on, operate, re-supply, and repair.  At a certain point an army just has to identify systems that aren't worth keeping online anymore.  Game mechanics-wise, this mitigates the infinitely broad weapon list problem a successfully long running Arms Race can establish ("Hey GM, I didn't see a weapon system the enemy built six IRL months ago in the last two battle reports.  Is it still relevant?"), instead focusing the game on what's actually being used and forcing players to confront their own otherwise forgotten systems.  Logistics Channels can effectively stretched by exploiting Variant Models, allowing up to three similar hardware systems to occupy a single Logistics Channel (see Variant Model rules).  Additional Logistics Channels may or may not be opened via Special Events or other game progression.

Variant Model Rules:

Variant Models allow for up to three different versions of an Armory hardware-system to be stocked via a single Logistics Channel.  You may already notice a Variant or two in your starting equipment.  Here are two quick theoretical (and completely off-theme) examples to illustrate.  Each Variant can be fielded with modified capabilities and/or different costs, so long as they reasonably share the same core components.

[Light Helicopter] Mosquito Recon Helo
The Mosquito Recon Helo is a two seater single engine light helicopter.  It mounts a standard RADAR and is armed with two 7.62mm minigun pods. (Echelon: Company)
[Mosquito Variant 1] Mosquito "Anopheles" Attack Helo
The "Anopheles" variant of the Mosquito Recon Helo features an upgraded RADAR and is armed with two 3 inch, 7 round rocket pods. (Echelon: Battalion)
[Mosquito Variant 2] Mosquito "Tipulidae" Utility Helo
The "Tipulidae" variant is a stripped down Mosquito Recon Helo, intended for light utility duties.  As such, the RADAR and gun pods have been removed.  Stretcher have been mounted on the weapon pylons for the evacuation of casualties or movement of light cargo.  (Echelon: Platoon)

[Destroyer] Archer Surface Warfare Destroyer
The Archer is a 2500 ton, 375 ft destroyer.  Its main armament are 5 x 5 in guns in single turrets with a secondary armament of 10 x 21 in torpedo tubes.  It includes four .50 cal quadmount stations as AA defense and a depth charge rack for ASW.  RADAR and SONAR are standard.  (Echelon: Platoon)
[Archer Variant 1] Archer ASW Destroyer
The ASW variant of the Archer Destroyer reduces the Archer's surface warfare weaponry to focus on ASW capabilities.  The main guns have been reduced to 3 x 5 in, with only 6 x 21 in torpedo tubes.  The freed deck space has been filled with two hedgehog-style depth-charge throwers, as well as adding a second conventional depth-charge rack.  The SONAR has been upgraded and includes a towed array.  (Echelon: Platoon)
[Archer Variant 2] Archer AA Picket Destroyer
The AA Picket Variant of the Archer Destroyer alters the Archer's weaponry to focus on AA duties.  The main guns have been reduced to 3 x 5 in, but stocked with additional airburst rounds.  The .50 cal AA quadmounts have been dramatically upgraded to 40mm twinmounts.  The torpedo tubes have been removed, to allow larger magazine for the increase in AA munitions.  The freed deck space has been filled with a standalone airsearch RADAR.  (Echelon: Platoon)

War College Phase Details:

Just because you have a man with a fancy rifle, doesn't mean you have an infantryman.  Even then, any army is much more than just its grunts.  Thoughout history, many an attempted conquerer have failed due to "all tooth, no tail."   The War College is where you prevent yourself from joining those inauspicious ranks.

If Armory Phase is about "hardware," War College Phase is about "software."  As per traditional Arms Race rules, hardware grants capabilities.  But does this really make sense for high skill professions?  It's practically a universal coming of age story to learn that a pair of fancy athletic shoes won't turn us into pro athletes.  Similary, if all a STEM career took was buying a good PC for MATLAB, we all could've saved some serious time and money.  The War College phase fixes this by training Military Occupational Specialties (MOS's).  Just like Armory Phase, players post and debate MOS proposals, ultimately voting to elect a single proposal that phase.  The GM then rolls dice against the elected proposal.  Taking into account the dice roll and the difficulty of the proposal (see Dice Rolls), the GM then writes up the resulting MOS, ending War College Phase.

A MOS is essentially a character class, defining the Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSA's) of a certain type of soldier in your army.  In general, they describe his or her general attributes, hardware preferences, and special capabilities.  Acceptable MOS's include, but are not limited to: infantry, artillery, scout/reconaissance, military police, military intelligence, signal/commo, supply/quartermaster, maintainence, transportation, PSYOP, medical, combat engineering, EOD, JAG, and Inspector General (IG).  For obvious game mechanics reasons, "civilian infrastructure-like" MOS's are forbidden, such as recruiters, drill instructors, acquisitions, public affairs, and civil affairs.  Furthermore, an MOS cannot directly modify your leadership (OICs/NCOIC's): you can create new kinds of staff officer MOS's, but not some kind of improved commanding officer. In other words, designing a "Bullshit Magic Air General" is expressly forbidden.

As mentioned earlier, the Armory and War College refuse to collaborate whatsoever.  However, the War College does have a small petty equipment allowance to fulfill rudimentary MOS requirements (typically for signature clothing or token tools of their trade).  Game mechanics-wise, if the issued equipment is primarily aesthetic and/or too petty to be tracked on an Armory Logistics Channel, it's allowed.  Want to give your aviator MOS (again, bad idea) flight coveralls and cool sunglasses?  That's doable.  Add a leather bomber jacket and a flight helmet?  Probably one but not both, as either is relatively expensive and has substantial functional elements despite its strong aesthetics.  Parachute?  Nope, definite Armory-level hardware that should either be shoved in an equipment loadout with the helmet and jacket, or tied to your aircraft.

The War College also uses the same Wilcard mechanic as Armory Phase, again incentivizing players to keep several easier proposals on the backburner.  Also like Armory hardware, the number of active MOS's are capped under Training Courses.  Roleplay-wise, this cap represents that there are only so many total high-potential recruits and at a certain point MOS's would be literally poaching recruits from each other.  Furthermore, your training infrastructure can only support so many simultaneous training programs (field training sites, weapons ranges, killhouses, classrooms, instructors and training texts).  Note that MOS's do not use Armory-style Variant Models, but have a higher cap to balance this.  Additional Training Courses may or may not be opened via Special Events or other game progression.

Dice Rolls:

Armory (Traditional Design/Revision) and War College rolls are done on a 2d4, resulting in rolls of 2 to 8. This gives a bit of a bell curve probablity, as opposed to the relatively common critical rolls from a traditional Arms Race 1d6.

Roll (Un-modified Probability): Result
2 (1/16): Critical failure.  Outcome resembles nothing you intended (in a really bad kind of way).
3 (2/16): Fiasco.  Outcome kinda works, but lacks many requested specifications.  Outcome is deeply flawed in terms of cost, performance, and/or reliability. 
4 (3/16): Disappointment.  Outcome mostly works, but has significant shortcomings.  Outcome is flawed in terms of cost, performance, and/or reliability.
5 (4/16): Mediocre.  Outcome works well enough, but corners were cut.  Outcome is slightly flawed in terms of cost, performance, and/or reliability.
6 (3/16): Good job. Outcome works as designed (WAD).
7 (2/16): Eureka! Outcome not only WAD, but finished early enough to squeeze a Wildcard design in.  (See Wildcard Rules)
8 (1/16): Critical Hit!  Outcome not only hits the Eureka wildcard, but adds a second wildcard design.  (See Wildcard Rules)

Every Armory and War College action is assessed a difficulty.  Difficulties assign a (+/-) modifier to the final result, however rolls are still capped at 2 and 8.  This means that voting for modest "revisions" are a reliable way to farm Eurekas, completing two to three "revision" designs a phase. (See Wildcard Rules)  The following are rough guidelines for assessing difficulty.

Trivial (+3): A minor "revision" of an existing system/MOS.  Ideally, an obvious modification that could be performed by a layman without specialized infrastructure.
Very Easy (+2): A moderate "revision" of an existing system/MOS.  Ideally, a modification that would likely require some technical skills (like a mechanic or mid-range military officer/NCO) and/or some specialized infrastructure (like a garage with power tools or a library with reference texts and a typewriter).
Easy (+1): An advanced "revision" of an existing system/MOS, or a minor new system/MOS.  Ideally, a clever modification that definitely requires technical skills and specialized infrastructure.  Likely involves a new tech concept or combines two to three smaller modifications.  Could also be a new system that does the same, or is simply fairly easy to obtain via trade/forage means.
Medium (0): A moderate new system/MOS.  A new system/MOS that substantially involves new technology or can be obtained via trade/forage means.  May involve an alternate variant model.  (See Variant Model Rules)
Hard (-1): An advanced new system/MOS.  A new system/MOS that absolutely requires new technology or can be obtained with difficulty via trade/forage means.  May involve one or two alternate variant models.  (See Variant Model Rules)
Very Hard (-2): A very advanced new system/MOS.  A new system/MOS that absolutely requires new technology you lack a knowledge base in, or otherwise requires several technological advancements.  Might be obtainable via trade/forage means with great difficulty.  May involve one or two alternate variant models.  (See Variant Model Rules)
Moon Shot (-3): An incredible new system/MOS.  A new system/MOS so reliant upon one or more technological leaps, it'd be almost miraculous to complete in such a short span of time.  May involve one or two alternate variant models.  (See Variant Model Rules)

Wildcard Rules:

A modified roll outcome of seven or higher triggers the Wildcard system.

Roleplay-wise, perhaps the desired action was too easy (or they just got lucky), but the Armory/War College ultimately finished their work early.  Being the diligent patriots they are, they used the extra time to complete one (on a seven roll) or two (on an eight roll) side-projects on their own initiative.  Being side-projects, these wildcards are previously mentioned proposals that ended up being the same or lesser difficulty than the elected proposal that finished early.  Since the project lead (individual player) for the elected proposal was busy this phase, these side-projects must be the work of other personnel (individual players or NPCs).  As these side-projects were mostly done in parallel to the elected proposal by side personnel, they don't benefit from the elected proposal's tech progress this phase.

Mechanically, good modified rolls grant one to two free similar difficulty actions that are then independently rolled for.  These Wildcard modified rolls are then capped at six, to prevent potentially endless crit chains.  Wildcards are drawn from a "deck" of proposed but unelected hardware/MOSs from that phase and two prior.  To introduce creative chaos and promote underdog players, the currently elected player's work is excluded from the Wildcard Deck this phase.  The first Wildcard of a phase will then be randomly drawn from non-redundant proposals the GM secretly assesses as the same difficulty as the elected proposal.  If a second Wildcard is required this phase (rolled eight), this Wildcard will then be randomly drawn from non-redundant proposals the GM secretly assesses as one step easier than the elected proposal (unless it's already a Trivial, in which case a Trivial-level Wildcard will still be drawn.)  Important note, if Wildcards of the appropriate difficulty and player ownership criteria can't be found, GM will search easier tiers.  If ultimately no usable Wildcards can be found, the Wildcard action has been wasted.  A team should thus encourage its various players to keep its potential Wildcard Deck full with a spread of proposals each turn.  During the Organization Phase, GM will post the current Armory and War College Wildcard Decks, especially noting proposals that were culled due to redundancies to elected proposals or general obsolescence.

Wildcard Probability List

Trivial: (13/16) Wildcard chance (10/16) for two Wildcards
Very Easy: (10/16) Wildcard chance (6/16) for two Wildcards
Easy: (6/16) Wildcard chance (3/16) for two Wildcards
Medium: (3/16) Wildcard chance (1/16) for two Wildcards
Hard: (1/16) Wildcard chance (0) for two Wildcards
Very Hard and Moon Shot: (0) Chance for any Wildcards

Organization Phase Details:

While this Arms Race does its best to keep the burden of math and tedious minutae off players' shoulders, GM concedes some players may want some agency here.  Wildcard decks should have some transparency before the GM ends up writing up a drawn Wildcard the players insist shouldn't be there.  Necessary mid-to-late game hardware/MOS retirements could get contentious.

As stated previously, the GM will post each Organization Phase the updated two Wildcard Decks.  Players may object to any Wildcard if they think the GM should have already removed it (for redundancy to an elected proposal or general obsolescence).  Furthermore, an individual player may freely withdraw any of their own Wildcards during Organization Phase.  Otherwise valid Wildcards CANNOT be removed from the deck prior to their expiration date (even by popular vote).  Barring any player comments on the Wildcard Decks, GM will proceed.

Simultaneously, GM will also announce if any hardware or MOS retirements are required and suggest a default system/MOS to retire.  Barring player consensus on an alternate retiree, GM will proceed.

Furthermore, this phase is where players should explicitly state any errors they think the GM made since the last Organization phase.  Major book keeping, technology issues, strong disagreements with something specific in the battle report, or anything else the player thinks needs serious correction, now's the time to call it out before it gets too entrenched.  GM will provide an official answer this phase on it.

Once the Wildcard Decks, retirements, and player grievances are settled, GM will advance to Strategy Phase.

Strategy Phase Details:

Strategy Phase is where the players vote where on the map to deploy their regiment(s).

As stated earlier, a new regiment is fielded every six months (three turns), on January 1st and July 1st.  Game progression will eventually cap, and then ultimately decrease the number of regiments.  One regiment may be assigned per territory, and a maximum of two regiments total maybe be ordered on offensive per turn.

***CONQUEST DETAILS PENDING MAP***

***MAP PENDING***

***STARTING HARDWARE/MOS PENDING***

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: June 15, 2019, 01:19:36 pm »

I adivse sticking most of that in a series of spoilers.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: September 20, 2019, 01:23:28 pm »

Introduction Post

"Listen here!  Now maybe Ocean's Ten shouldn't have taken that contract to rob the Weland-Yutani "Life Sciences" Lab on Paramour.  But you know what?  Maybe Graywater Solutions should've chilled the frak out with all that gorram HE they fired, amirite?  At the end of the day, with containment on a bio-weapon ruptured, ain't nobody getting through quarantine before the mothership's next FTL jump.  Dead or alive, their interstellar adventuring days are over folks."

--Overheard gossip at Twenty Forward Lounge on Mothership Leviathan

In the wake of this annihilation, how will the two premier mercenary companies of the 'verse recover and rebuild?  Will they hold to their traditions, or blaze a new trail?  Can they forget this catastrophe, or are they destined to fight to the death?

Welcome to...

Space Cowboys for Hire (A PvE AR-like)

In Space Cowboys for Hire, a single team of players guide the actions of "Ocean's Ten," an interstellar mercenary crew, on a PvE campaign to avoid bankruptcy and potential bioterrorism charges.  The crew will find physical and legal refuge on the Mothership Leviathan, humanity's only interstellar ship, as it follows its three year circular route through humanity's interstellar domain.  Core gameplay will resemble a mission-oriented Arms Race, like Deniable Assets, but with a strong narrative focus and deliberately less micromanagement.  Missions will take place on four heavily terraformed planetary systems, with settings ranging from Firefly-esque frontier worlds to dystopian cities straight out of Altered Carbon. 

GM Comments:  Real talk guys and girls.  I originally envisioned this as a PvP mission-oriented high opsec AR with heavy PvE content like MoP's SCP Race or Robo's Twilight Cults, but I'm not entirely convinced those work particularly well on Bay 12 anymore.  They require a lot of investment, both from players and the GM, and we're kinda saturated on AR's right now.  All it takes is for that one player who writes all the plans to take a break, and that team goes inactive.  One side to goes inactive, momentum gets lost, and the game dies.  So I'm going to shove the entire playerbase into one team, and see how that goes.  I can rally one team of six players better than two teams of three.    But wait, how do I gamify and RNG missions without an opposing mission plan?  Keep reading; there's a mechanic for that.  I'm also toying with writing in default choices, both to anchor theme and force the game forward if the community isn't engaging with that phase well.

Basic Game Cycle:
Contact Phase.  After being briefed a summary of the current planetary system, players are presented with a list of contacts and what kind of work they're hiring for.  Players must now vote on which contacts to pursue.  Contacts may ignore the players if they're associating with an opposing contact, forcing the players to pick sides in certain conflicts.
Contract Phase.  Interested contacts will now send the players what detailed missions they want done that month/turn and their pay.  Players must now write a quick pitch (one paragraph) to the contact to get hired for the missions they want.  The voted pitchs are then either accepted or rejected by the contacts, along with appropriate written feedback as to why, or other suggestions.
Hardware Phase.  A traditional AR design phase.  Represents a fixed budgetary amount being spent to buy, craft, and eventually maintain, a specific quantity and quality of equipment.  Rolled on a 2d4 modified by the difficulty of the design.
Specialist Training Phase.  A traditional AR design phase, but for skills.  Take a single operator and make him into something interesting.  Rolled on a 2d4 modified by the difficulty of the design.
Operations Phase.  Players now write how they're going to attempt their missions this turn.  The voted mission plans are executed.  A 2d4 modified by the difficulty of the plan is rolled for its execution.  Another 2d4 is rolled for mission difficulty.  And a third 2d4 is rolled for improvisation: situations not covered by the written plan, such as traps, ambushes, loss of key equipment/personnel.  The GM interprets all of this into a battle report.

After eight months/turns in system, rent is due.  If the players can make rent, they spend the next month/turn in FTL, before arriving in the next system.  Failure to make rent will result in eviction from the Mothership Leviathan, and effectively Game Over.  It should also be noted that casualties are only replaced during the FTL turn.

Setting and Deep Lore:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

GM Comments:  And that's how the intro post is going to go.  I don't want the game to look too intimidating upfront, so I'm going to hold back additional explanations until the relevant phases happen.  I'm not sure how much people will read the deep lore, but this is going to be a narrative heavy game, so I figured that's a pretty necessary intro.  The TI Med lore is actually a work around to handle casualties.  Permadeath of a unique specialist would be too punishing, and plot armor is too hokey.  So instead, everyone comes back to life at the end of a system campaign.  This also allows for a climatic bloodbath mission for the end of each planetary campaign.  Anyhow, let me know what you guys think.  I still have to formally write up a lot of campaign material, but I wanted to get the rules out there for some feedback.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: September 22, 2019, 02:27:59 pm »

GM Comment: I really detest this trend of absurdly long pre-game turns.  Does anyone love sitting around for an IRL month, waiting to see if the GM can write a satisfying battle report?  But a starting equipment draft is important, so here's one pre-game turn to do it.  Also, I've set up a narrative framing device to explain IC the tutorial/default choices each phase.

Space Cowboys for Hire (Turn 0)

*ring* *ring*
"Mrs. Ocean."
"Neil McCauley?  Do you know what time it is?!?"
"I'm sorry ma'am, but we need to meet in the briefing room urgently."
"Fine. First thing in the morning, 9 sharp."
"I'm sorry ma'am, but that won't do.  Sam Goldman is already here too."
"Gorramit, I'm on my way.  This better be really good, or really bad Neil."

It's just after 4am as you enter the room in a bit of a huff.  Neil grimaces awkwardly and is about to say something before Sam cuts him off.  "Now I'd like to remind everyone that as legal counsel to Ocean PMC, everything discussed in this meeting is protected by attorney-client privilege..."
Neil interjects, "Ma'am, I'm sorry, but your husband is dead.  He insisted on a HALO insert to try and rescue our guys.  I tried to stop him, but CoFor now has the whole planet locked down."
Before you're even able to ask what a 'HALO insert' is, Sam continues, "Upon review of the articles of incorporation, all ownership and control of Ocean LLC reverts to you.  I know you've prefered to be a silent partner in this business, but we're going to need some quick executive decisions from you right now.  Do you understand Mrs. Ocean?"
"Sam, don't you think you're being a bit too hard on her?"
"Neil, we've got 72 hours to FTL.  We don't have time to sugar coat this.  We lost Daniel and all ten field operators down on Paramour.  There's chatter that the Coalition is floating terrorism charges against us."
You chuckle, "Good, the sooner we're out of here, the better.  They were all due for a reju-regen anyways."
Neil sighs, "Two problems, we can't recover their TI implants from Paramour and we don't have the rent for this upcoming FTL."
"WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DON'T HAVE THE RENT!" you shout.  "I am certainly not getting evicted from this ship, to live like some public domain refugee!"
"Calm down Mrs. Ocean, we're all in this together.  If any of us lose our status with the Mothership, we'll likely face felony prosecution from the Coalition."
"Gorramit Sam, was that supposed to be soothing?"
"Neil, as your legal counsel, it's my duty-"
"WHERE THE FRAK IS THE RENT!" you interrupt.
"Ma'am, we had a rough couple months and we were banking on this last op to cover it.  But it's okay ma'ma, Sam and me have a plan to get through this.  We just need your approval."
They both stare you down pleadingly, knowing that despite their wishes, you're the one calling the shots now.  After a long pregnant pause, you oblige, "Fine.  It's not like I have a choice do I?  As long as somebody tells me what the frak a HALO insert is."

"As you surely know Ma'am, every nine months, 500k rent is due.  Now paying survivor benefits as well as onboarding ten new operators is going wipe out our entire savings.  The only way forward is to empty the armory.  I'm talking full firesale."

"We're going back to basics.  Obviously we'll keep the shuttle and the handsfree comms.  12 ga pumps, .357 revolvers, and Gerber multitools are the bare essentials, but everything else can go.  It's only the Thiel planetary system afterall.  If we stick to frontier operations, we shouldn't need too fancy tech.  We probably can afford to hold onto about four more hardware systems though."

"Attached I've provided a quick inventory, minus what we lost on Paramour.  I wish I could provide more detail or answer questions, but I've only got about 48 hours to sell everything.  I've designated the four systems that I, as Chief of Operations, recommend we retain.  However, you're ultimately the boss Ma'am, so let me know if you'd prefer four other systems for some reason.  Keep in mind that at least one of them should probably be a set of wheels.  They don't have Uber in the frontier."

--Signed, Chief of Operations, Neil McCauley

Quote from: Inventory Retention Plan
Weapons
(0) Walther PPK .380 Pocket Pistol
(0) SIG Sauer P226 9mm Service Pistol
(0) IMI Micro Uzi 9mm SMG
(0) FN P90 5.7mm PDW
(0) Izhmash Saiga 12 ga Tactical Shotgun
(1) AS Val SP-6 Sound Suppressed Carbine: Ops Chief
(0) AK-74M 5.45mm Assault Rifle
(0) RPK-74M 5.45mm Light Machine Gun
(0) HK MSG90 7.62mm Sniper Rifle
(0) Barrett Model 82A1 .50 BMG AMR
(0) RPG-7 Rocket Launcher
(0) M67 Fragmentation Grenade
(0) TASER Less-Than-Lethal Gun
(0) OC Pepper Spray

Vehicles
(0) Volkswagon Transporter Panel Van
(1) Landrover Defender SUV: Ops Chief
(0) MINI Cooper S Compact Car
(0) Kawasaki Ninja Dual Sport Motorcycle

Equipment
(0) Low Profile Ballistic Vest
(0) Semtex 1kg Explosives Block
(0) Facial Disguise Prosthetics Kit
(1) Mechanical Lockpick Set: Ops Chief
(0) Radio Scanner
(0) Wireless Spy Cam Set
(0) IR Tripwire Kit
(1) FLIR Binoculars: Ops Chief
(0) Hobbyist Quadcopter Drone
(0) Climbing/Rappelling Ropes Kit
(0) Hydraulic Saw
(0) Stinger Anti-Vehicle Spike Strip
(0) Handheld Biometric ID Scanner
(0) Long Range Directional Microphone
(0) Ghillie Suit

GM Comment:  To make sure people actually get on theme and relevant gear, it's going to be a list pick.  Having a relatively exhaustive list also anchors the tech going forward, which is otherwise hard to do in a non-canonical sci-fi setting.  Can also be used to seed hardware designs going forward if the players get writer's block.  ...and it includes a pre-built votebox.  Imagine that!

Just as you're about to Google what the hell half those weapons are, you see you have an incoming call from Sam Goldman, "Mrs. Ocean, some distinguished luminaries in New Monaco have heard of the recent tragedy upon their shipmates and have arranged a memorial service for both us and Greywater Solutions."
"I never thought anyone in New Monaco particularly cared for us.  Well that's not exactly something we can refuse can we?"
"Likely someone thinking it's a good humanitarian PR stunt, but no, we need any sympathy we can get.  The catch is that Greywater's President, Nick Clay, will be giving a eulogy.  Accordingly, you, as Chief Executive of Ocean PMC, should do so as well.  I understand that as a grieving widow, you may not be ready for this.  Neil and myself will put something together if you like.  But with all due respect Mrs. Ocean, I think this could be a great debut if you wanted to pursue a more active role in our business."
"Thanks for the heads up Sam.  Who doesn't love public speaking engagements?"

Quote from: OOC: Writing Contest
Describe or write an appropriate eulogy to be delivered by Mrs. Ocean, Neil, or Sam.  GM will choose the best and grant a reward appropriate to the spoken eulogy.  Suggested topics include: your husband, the ten Ocean operators, the mission on Paramour, your relationship with Greywater, your relationship with Weyland-Yutani, your plans for the future, etc.  Accuse, apologize, joke, keep it professional, or try a bit of everything; welcome to the world of public speaking.  For the sake of brevity, it doesn't need to be word-for-word, just enough for us to understand the content and tone of the presentation.
If no submissions are received, Sam or Neil will speak instead... which may or may not be a good thing.

GM Comment:  Turn 0 is going to be considered an FTL turn, so narratively everything is going to be about shipboard stuff.  The Memorial Service is a way to introduce shipside politics, as well as the obvious campaign antagonist, Greywater.  I've also kept Mrs. Ocean, her deceased husband, and the men of Ocean PMC as a blank slate, so this is the players' opportunity to suggest quite a bit of backstory if they wanted.  Reputation mechanics are going to be introduced in response to how the Memorial Service goes.
Anyhow, let me know via forums or Discord what you guys are thinking.  I'm steadily working on the campaign content.

UristMcRiley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: October 15, 2019, 08:24:17 pm »

I aint certain if this is the right thread to be asking this question in, however there was a arms race game that i was looking to read through again however im having trouble finding it. The reason for this is that its on a forum other this one and i cant right remember what it was called or find the post several years ago that linked it here on Bay 12 and how i originally found it. The arms race was single sided and covered a alien peacekeeping force (or invasion force cant quite recall) invading a planet where they had to adapt there technology and what not. The locals at one point utilized a strange blob of flesh creature that caused the player side forces to freak out and start killing each other. I also know that there was often illustrations of the action that was occurring throughout the game. I dont know if any of yall have ran into it before but a link would be useful if any one here has it.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: April 15, 2020, 10:34:09 am »

I wanted to reboot the 40k hive race I was attempting however long ago, but I stumbled across this

It's the trickiest bit of an arms race, to be honest. Batreps suck (I say as I'm currently avoiding finishing mine), but this is always the part that makes me worry the most. Too much chance and you step on the toes of the part of the game that should matter most, the thoughtful design of new equipment, too little and the game degenerates into whichever side has a better encyclopedic knowledge of warfare in [INSERT TIMELINE]- at which point you can open a private salt mine whenever your interpretation differs from your player's desires. There's a buncha methods for trying to deal with the issue, but they've all got their issues.

It was essentially the exact issues I had come across. There were people who knew not-enough lore and tried to make some very improbable things happen, whilst others knew way too much lore and tried to pidgeonhole certain designs into working certain ways.
Also I had one side choose their faction at the start of the game and then three turns in half of the members go 'oh wait, we actually want this one', and failing a full reset just resolve to use designs in order to switch their faction instead of leaning into the one they had, which was slowly putting them behind.

(This on top of my having no idea how to balance game mechanics.)
It has me a bit anxious about whether a reboot would fall into similar pitfalls.

Currently my main idea is a pseudo-linear "Upgrade stream" which would affect the basic time period and quality of equipment people would have access to.
Say if it was a primitive AR, there would be Bronze> Iron> Steel, and on a separate tree, Horticulture, Agriculture, Domestication. Each "Level" would take five or ten turns and you would choose between them.
Which means that a side which chose to upgrade their weapons would have more interesting designs based on iron or steel weaponry, whereas those who took food-based upgrades could be pouring their efforts into population increase- and still have both sides be relatively even on a macro scale.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: April 15, 2020, 02:03:44 pm »

I mean, that's the trade-off with using an established universe for setting/theme.

Assuming it's a popular franchise, you'll get lots of players.  However, the problem is that you're no longer *the* expert in the lore of your own game.  You slip up on lore, and somebody can Google up Wookiepedia showing GM has no clue about his own game.  The Star Wars Expanded Universe, Star Trek, WH40K, TES, and some major D&D settings are so overdeveloped that it's impossible to fully master, and a malicious player will always be able to pester you about something on it.  It's less of a problem IRL, because it's easier to manage players IRL, but online you're going to get some general salt and possible trolling.

It's something you just have to accept when working with established universes.  (Hence why I prefer to GM homebrew derivatives online.)

As for your "upgrade stream" idea, I'd have to see it better developed to say if it'll work or not.  The main player action in an AR is freeform "wishing" for designs.  Trying to add too much structure could get confusing and/or straight kill creativity.  You want enough guidance for designs that people understand the theme of the game (see most successful ARs), but not so little that they have no idea what to even imagine (see Virgin Island.)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: April 15, 2020, 02:27:40 pm »

You want enough guidance for designs that people understand the theme of the game (see most successful ARs), but not so little that they have no idea what to even imagine (see Virgin Island.)

Waves as they PTW.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Hero Saga Setup: 97%. Other stuff Paused.
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #1154 on: February 28, 2021, 01:46:03 am »

I'm curious who invented Arms Race. >_>
Awesome With Autism
Currently listening to: Goldeneye Menu
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78