Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 78

Author Topic: Arms Race/Design Bureau Hub/General OOC (Got a Discord Channel now)  (Read 104460 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race Hub
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2016, 08:15:43 pm »

Spoke with sensei and have a rough idea of what the post-WWII situation would look like.  Biological creation will likely be wholesale removed, as well as the smaller constructs.  Larger constructs may still yet exist, though.

Still, is there a preference between the two potential areas of conflict, or should I just flip a coin?  If you want more options, there is also the possibility of being the gadget designers for a spy agency (same timeline as the others) or setting a post-apocalypse game (either timeline 3 or new/alternate branch).
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2016, 11:02:21 pm »

Alt branches sound like fun.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2016, 09:19:31 am »

Cold war dick measuring contests pls.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2016, 11:33:13 am »

Alt branches sound like fun.

Referring to the post-apocalypse setting?

Please specify.  As it stands, this could apply to any of the scenarios except for the post-apocalypse one.

Edit: Also, I wish to hear your thoughts on having any of these games be multi-forum (ie. Bay 12 plays one side, another forum plays another.)
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2016, 12:29:15 pm »

Please specify.  As it stands, this could apply to any of the scenarios except for the post-apocalypse one.
Please specify two areas of conflict. Are we still going with Africa/Asia or what? But really, I am for any of scenarios that involve
a)Arstotzka
and/or
b)Cold War dick measuring contests
in that order.
Edit: Also, I wish to hear your thoughts on having any of these games be multi-forum (ie. Bay 12 plays one side, another forum plays another.)
I don't want to make an account somewhere else, and makes me thing that we could end with some forum wars, since Arms Race is srs bsns.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2016, 01:02:59 pm »

Please specify two areas of conflict. Are we still going with Africa/Asia or what? But really, I am for any of scenarios that involve
a)Arstotzka
and/or
b)Cold War dick measuring contests

The scenarios that would deal with a cold war contest are the Indonesian one, the African one, and the spy one.  While the former two would also have conflict with NPC nations, there will be a cold war between the two player nations.  For now, that is.  Things could change into an active state of war between the two nations.  As for the spy one, I would probably have it set as being between a couple countries (maybe USSR and America) in the Cold War era.

in that order.
I don't want to make an account somewhere else, and makes me thing that we could end with some forum wars, since Arms Race is srs bsns.

That is a fairly decent concern.  Don't want a forum war to start up by accident.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2016, 04:06:39 pm »

I dunno. Getting more advanced tech involved seems to like killing off games with this system.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2016, 06:53:46 pm »

I dunno. Getting more advanced tech involved seems to like killing off games with this system.

We only have one game I am aware of that has been set further in time than Forenia, and that one died because the GM wanted to leave the forum due to spending too much time online.  One data point does not imply anything.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2016, 10:30:51 pm »

I was under the impression that it was also due to the list of 30-odd things each group really had to have some form of, and the solitary development slot they had to do them with.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2016, 11:12:04 pm »

I was under the impression that it was also due to the list of 30-odd things each group really had to have some form of, and the solitary development slot they had to do them with.

Might have been a factor.  If we wind up using the Indonesian or African settings, I was actually planning on adding a second revision that could be used on anything but the other revision on that turn, so more could be done.  Honestly, the Indonesian one would likely give us the best game for what I have prepared with the small additions I made.  Might even wind up getting twice (on rare occasions, thrice) weekly turns, while providing a bit more, nonintrusive depth.  Can post the full ruleset for later, if people wish to see it before the game starts.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2016, 01:26:01 pm »

Finally got the ruleset I'm going to be utilizing for the next game typed up.  Please note any complaints, points of confusion, or something I wound up missing with it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2016, 01:48:54 pm »

I have my doubts about a system that not only allows the victor to capture terrain, but also techs. That can quickly escalate, snowballing into insurmountable odds for the losing party.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2016, 01:52:18 pm »

Techs aren't actually THAT powerful, designs are, to utilize them you still need to use at least a revision, unless it's an straight upgrade to some previous tech. If anything, capturing techs might result in more balanced designs.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2016, 02:18:58 pm »

I have my doubts about a system that not only allows the victor to capture terrain, but also techs. That can quickly escalate, snowballing into insurmountable odds for the losing party.

It's the tech behind a design, rather than a design itself.  As well, the new tech would be under the same expense penalty simply developing it would cause (though might make it 4 turns rather than 5 to add a point of desire in using it due to the expense level going away faster, but not making it go away too fast and be unfair to the original creators.)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2016, 02:50:14 pm »

In that case, it's nearly pointless and probably needs to be removed.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 78