Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 78

Author Topic: Arms Race/Design Bureau Hub/General OOC (Got a Discord Channel now)  (Read 103487 times)

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race/Design Bureau Hub/General OOC (Got a Discord Channel now)
« Reply #1110 on: October 13, 2018, 10:17:43 pm »

Dry Test of turns:

Turn 1: Exploration phase

Scout for resources at coordinates (1, 1) (distance 1.412 km)
Dispatch 1 land crawler towing a drill.

Results: Exploratory excavations suggest that the rocks here have an average yield of 48% Total Rock to be Excavated is estimated at 20 million tons.

Turn 2: Deploy mine at (1, 1)
Dispatch all available land crawlers towing 2 BWE stripminers and other semi-static processing facilities.
Set up 1 ore sorters for common ore!
Set p 1 ore sorter for rare materials

Results:
Common ore production is estimated at 180 tons a day
Rare ore production is estimated at 0.2 tons a day

Combat:
Wild animals are spotted in the woods, it is unknown how hostile or dangerous they are. Exploratory missions should be sent.

Turn 3:
Design Phase Need Analysis:
We propose a hunting rifle be designed or an existing one be designated. The existing 5.56 Nato has poor performance against large animals.

Turn 4:
Design Phase: Conceptualization:
The not-reinventing the M14:
A magazine fed semi-automatic gas-operated rotating bolt battle rifle. Chambered for 7.62x51 Nato. Barrel Length 22 Inches, etc...

Dice rolls ensue, etc...
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: October 14, 2018, 02:00:34 am »

Now i'm thinking about how to model combat:

I see combat modelling as a split between quantifiable and non-quantifiable dimensions.

Theoretical firepower is quantifiable. As is things like standardized testing of fire-arm proficiency and fitness

Non-quantifiable aspects are things like morale, cohesion and other aspects of "training"

Theoretical firepower can also be matched against staying power. And staying power is often modeled as the elusive "hitpoints" quality or as a probability of incapacitation...
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: October 17, 2018, 05:42:35 pm »

For an arms race revolving around biohorrors in the same vein as resident evil which of the following does the public prefer?

Symmetrical: Both corporations are responsible for creating and fielding these monsters to cause fear in the public which nets the teams resources depending on who controls the sector and the level of fear. To counter fear, teams also deploy security forces to neutralize opposing biohorrors, or their own should a situation require it.

Asymmetrical: One side takes up creating and deploying biohorrors in an attempt to destabilize governments across the globe, netting Biomass for their actions. The other side is responsible for combating these horrors and tracking down and eliminating the lab. This would run similarly to an XCom arms race.

I have no preference either way, so I leave it to the public to decide which ruleset to focus on.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: October 17, 2018, 05:44:50 pm »

Asymmetrical: One side takes up creating and deploying biohorrors in an attempt to destabilize governments across the globe, netting Biomass for their actions. The other side is responsible for combating these horrors and tracking down and eliminating the lab. This would run similarly to an XCom arms race.
Personally, I like the asymmetrical version,
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: October 17, 2018, 06:26:35 pm »

For an arms race revolving around biohorrors in the same vein as resident evil which of the following does the public prefer?

Symmetrical: Both corporations are responsible for creating and fielding these monsters to cause fear in the public which nets the teams resources depending on who controls the sector and the level of fear. To counter fear, teams also deploy security forces to neutralize opposing biohorrors, or their own should a situation require it.

I have no preference either way, so I leave it to the public to decide which ruleset to focus on.
I'd be okay with either, but Asymmetrical would make the two teams arsenals unique from eachother by its very nature.

Either way though I'd be tossing out Infectonator zombies.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: October 17, 2018, 11:48:24 pm »

I prefer symmetric
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: October 18, 2018, 02:26:43 pm »

Eh, I don't particularly mind. Having the two teams be symmetrical would be good as well. Of course the question is how would the designing and rolling aspects work. Like, would the teams get a design for both their bioterror and security team, or just one and they have to decide which to use it on?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 02:30:13 pm by Failbird105 »

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: October 18, 2018, 09:28:13 pm »

If it's symmetrical there'd be two actions a phase, one for the biohorror and one for the fireteams. I thought maybe make people pick, but then it could just call into asymmetric without the asymmetrically balanced ruleset

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: October 18, 2018, 11:08:00 pm »

The thing is if you do asymmetric nobody will join the biohorror side because they know I'm a part of it. So do symmetric. Unless you want a 3 person team.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: October 18, 2018, 11:42:09 pm »

Though perhaps that'd draw more people to it, since it seems some people thrive on shooting down some of your more felid plans.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: October 19, 2018, 01:40:02 am »

I'd be okay with a 3 man team, means I could actually keep up with the discord, and my designs have a higher statistical chance of winning

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1122 on: May 15, 2019, 02:16:38 pm »

What is a good source material to reference (with details on how to run an arms race)?
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by a lack of knowledge or understanding. Maybe your own.
'No.' is a complete sentence. —Mary Kate & Ashley

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: May 15, 2019, 02:27:11 pm »

What is a good source material to reference (with details on how to run an arms race)?
I mean, if you want to run an AR, I'd recommend participating in a bunch first, to build experience with the genre.
Long Live United Forenia!

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1124 on: May 15, 2019, 02:35:03 pm »

I am not going to run an arms race.

I just want see that material.
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by a lack of knowledge or understanding. Maybe your own.
'No.' is a complete sentence. —Mary Kate & Ashley
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 78